Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Need Creative Solution For Lifting Something

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Need Creative Solution For Lifting Something

I thought maybe someone had done something similar, or could suggest a solution. I have a 1026r

If you look at the attached photo, this is what I am building. But it is a couple of feet taller, and four feet wider. Bigger enough that the steel is a little heavier, so raising the "panels" is more awkward and heavier for two people - maybe impossible. And with four people, they will just get in each other's way. On my structure, the peak is 11' 6" high. Width-wise it is 24 ft.

Can anyone think of a practical way to use my FEL to lift these upright??? I'm guessing the loader peaks out at about 7 ft. - does anyone know?

I remember a topic where someone used Artillian forks placed upside down for a task. I thought this might add a few feet in height. If I could get under a truss, and go up to 9 ft. it might work out. Or maybe get it high enough so two people could then handle it.

But, I am thinking I am out of luck, and won't be able to use my new tractor to build its new home. Renting and trailering a "reach fork lift" will be expensive. Since most everyone here knows more than I about these types of things, I thought I would ask for suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 10.22.00 AM.png  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    I have the Artillian forks and the Artillain 3pt adapter that mounts on the fork frame. With those in place I can mount a boom pole to the front of my loader.

CountyLine Heavy-Duty Boom Pole - For Life Out Here

At max height, the end of the boom is up 12'-13' high.

Of course, you could always just go old-school and install a tall pole at the back of the area where you plan on installing this thing. Mount a block & tackle at the top of it. Put one end of the rope on your frame, hook the other end to the back of your tractor and pull.
    Last edited by JimR; 09-25-2016 at 08:20 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have the Artillian forks and the Artillain 3pt adapter that mounts on the fork frame. With those in place I can mount a boom pole to the front of my loader.

CountyLine Heavy-Duty Boom Pole - For Life Out Here

At max height, the end of the boom is up 12'-13' high.
    Wow - that's cool - that would work great. BUT

I planned on buying the Artillian Forks - but don't have them yet. The shipping to Hawaii alone is going to be about $300. For that Boom Pole the shipping would probably be about the same - except there isn't much else I could use it for. However, I could get away with the smaller one, since the things I must raise are less than 250 lbs. But you're saying I would also need the Artillian 3pt adapter. So, I think I would be priced out for something I may never use again.

But I'll do my homework on the pricing and shipping tomorrow (Monday) and compare for the cost of the fork lift rental.

Maybe someone else has an ingenious solution. Could the Artillian Forks alone do the job with some modification - since I don't think that weight will be a problem. Perhaps both forks strapped together in the middle (maybe with the extensions) and tilted up with some jerry rigged hook on the end???

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    If you are going to spend money one way or another, rent a scissor lift with either smooth tires if you have a finished floor or off road tires if it is just gravel or dirt. You will most likely spend the same amount of money in rental cost versus purchasing boom and adapters. Then with the lift you can get up along the sides and roof to attach the panels as well.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    If you are going to spend money one way or another, rent a scissor lift with either smooth tires if you have a finished floor or off road tires if it is just gravel or dirt. You will most likely spend the same amount of money in rental cost versus purchasing boom and adapters. Then with the lift you can get up along the sides and roof to attach the panels as well.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I had considered it, but I have never used one before. And I didn't see how it could be used effectively to "tilt" these sections up as in this diagram. Am I missing something? Do you see a way a scissors lift could be used for this application?

I even thought about using a scissors lift and positioning it for each panel so I could attach a pulley to the top and then pull the panels up from the peak (when it is on the ground). But the physics and loads, etc. had me worried for safety reasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 3.43.40 PM.png  
    Last edited by konakid; 09-25-2016 at 08:51 PM.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Are you using something like 12 gauge steel tube (aprx 2.25" square)? I just had a metal building assembled (22' wide & 9' high wall legs) and two guys had no problem tipping up the bows w/ legs attached and setting them on the base stubs, including the end bows which had already had the gable ends skinned with sheet metal.

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 09-25-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Are you using something like 12 gauge steel tube (aprx 2.25" square)? I just had a metal building assembled (22' wide & 9' high wall legs) and two guys had no problem tipping up the bows w/ legs attached and setting them on the base stubs, including the end bows which had already had the gable ends skinned with sheet metal.

Nick
    Thanks Nick - that is very good to know. These "tubes" are 2" x 3" (unsure of the guage), but my wall legs are only 8ft. - so I think we are talking something close to "apples to apples." These wall/roof sections also have truss cross members - that look to be more extensive than yours. But that is good to know about the gable ends, because that extra weight was also a concern.

I haven't yet assembled one of these. I am going to individually weigh each component and then assemble one. Then I will attempt to lift it with a friend and see. But my biggest concern is that these are supposed to all be assembled at the same time on a stack - for uniformity. And I have this slab as the only flat area on which to do this. So, exactly how I position this stack will depend on how and from which direction I will tilt them up.

If I am positive I can lift them with two guys - then I am golden. But if I position them as I would in that situation, and can't do it manually, then I won't be able to drive any kind of equipment into position to lift them.

But you have given my some hope - especially the "two guys had no problem tipping up the bows w/ legs attached." Because I'm thinking mine will definitely be heavier, but how much I don't know.
    Last edited by konakid; 09-25-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    The tractor in the pic lifted the red beams in the pic, when I built that shed.

The peak of the ceiling is 22 feet,,, IIRC,,

I slid a piece of 3X6 rectangular tube (12 feet long) over one of the forks.
    Many of the beams were 40 foot long, 8.5 pounds per foot (340 pounds)

Do you have forks? buy a piece of 3/16" thick rectangular tube that fits over the fork.

I used a pair of the 3X6 tubes to move my newly built chicken coop

You do not need to lift 340 pounds, so it should work.
    Levi likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks

Should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    Thanks Nick - that is very good to know. These "tubes" are 2" x 3" (unsure of the guage), but my wall legs are only 8ft. - so I think we are talking something close to "apples to apples." These wall/roof sections also have truss cross members - that look to be more extensive than yours. But that is good to know about the gable ends, because that extra weight was also a concern.

I haven't yet assembled one of these. I am going to individually weigh each component and then assemble one. Then I will attempt to lift it with a friend and see. But my biggest concern is that these are supposed to all be assembled at the same time on a stack - for uniformity. And I have this slab as the only flat area on which to do this. So, exactly how I position this stack will depend on how and from which direction I will tilt them up.

If I am positive I can lift them with two guys - then I am golden. But if I position them as I would in that situation, and can't do it manually, then I won't be able to drive any kind of equipment into position to lift them.

But you have given my some hope - especially the "two guys had no problem tipping up the bows w/ legs attached." Because I'm thinking mine will definitely be heavier, but how much I don't know.
    I would think you will be ok. Over the years, I've helped lift some pretty long conventional construction wall sections. The usual issue is making sure the bottom doesn't kick out and then stabilizing things once it's vertical. Unless you have some other directions, I would be tempted to make a clamp board or boards with bolts through at the spacing for each truss. Once you get the first two up, it would be really nice to clamp each side vertical and then lift the next one. Compared to wooden trusses, those should be fairly light. I would think you can handle them without any issues.

Treefarmer
    Levi likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks again for the advice, all of it excellent, and the moral support is appreciated. I don't have forks yet. I'm waiting for the first of the month. I've been bleeding money with the building and tractor purchase.

I weighed the pieces for one of the sections. The gable end section without the skin would be 176 lbs. So I'm guessing with the skin it would be under 200 lbs. So, right on the edge for two "normal" guys.

I'm figuring the heaviest part of the lift is from the ground to about 45 degrees. So, maybe a third guy for the middle wouldn't hurt. Or, maybe using the tractor for the first part of the lift??? As for having the bottom kick out, the attached photo shows what the instructions are recommending and I was going to utilize for safety.

So, I think its worth giving it a go without any equipment first. If that's too much - then I can wait for the forks and use the customized steel extension boom like "CADplans" suggested. Although I don't know if I can trust myself at the controls yet. It seems as if all the movement would be magnified out at the end of the boom. Either way, I am thankful for the input.

And of course, if there is anything more to add - please do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pocket.png  
    Last edited by konakid; 09-26-2016 at 01:18 AM.
    POWERSTROKE, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast