Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: 1026R Has anyone used this tractor to power a PTO driven generator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks

1026R Has anyone used this tractor to power a PTO driven generator

The last power outage in Northern MN was for 5 days, I REALLY need a better solution than the 8 HP B&S driven 4 kw generator that terrorized the wife and neighbors with all the noise. Looking at my JD 1026 with bucket and backhoe. The midpoint PTO runs at 2100 rpm with 3400 rpm engine speed. A friend has a 7KW belt drive, 3600 rpm alternator head that he will sell me cheap. Figuring a 1:2 belt drive off the Mid point PTO and the long shaft for the snowblower, run the engine at 2850 rpm.

The other option is a farm style PTO driven generator with the gear drive to handle the 540 rpm rear PTO. Saw a used one that mounted the generator and gear case in a frame that worked with the 3 pt hitch. Normally sits on built in casters in the back of the garage, back up to it, hook on, slide in the PTO shaft, good to go.

Any one done this? What am I missing? I am aware of the operator's seat switch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I might be crazy in my thinking but man I'd hate to have my tractor sitting there with the engine rpm's ran up that high for hours at a time doing nothing more than spinning a pto shaft. I'd personally look into something that would run off the 540 and at far less engine rpm's. I'd feel fairly good about letting mine run at 1500 or so for awhile but much more and I'd feel guilty inside with thoughts of abusing it.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Some say a tractor engine does not hold speed well enough to give accurate frequency,,,
    BUT,, most generators are powered by a lawn mower engine.

I say GO FOR IT!!
    pcabe5 and johnH123 like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I might be crazy in my thinking but man I'd hate to have my tractor sitting there with the engine rpm's ran up that high for hours at a time doing nothing more than spinning a pto shaft. I'd personally look into something that would run off the 540 and at far less engine rpm's. I'd feel fairly good about letting mine run at 1500 or so for awhile but much more and I'd feel guilty inside with thoughts of abusing it.

I, personally, would have zero concern about running a diesel (that is beyond a good break-in period) for hours,,,
    with proper oil changes. 4,000 hours is nothing for these engines.

Most owners are ready for a new machine at less than 600 hours,, mostly because of boredom,,
    and the fact that the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence. They want all the new bells and whistles.

Heck,, while you have it, put the hours on the machine you own! JMHO.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That is very true and I thought about that with the gen we use during power outages. It ran for almost two weeks straight during an ice storm only being shut down to check the oil and refueling. But it's a Briggs engine that's a dime a dozen, my Deere is,,,,,,, uhhhhh, well plainly put my Deere is my freaking baby and I'll use the heck out of it but I just can't bring myself to the thought of running it up to 2800rpm, kicking on the pto, then coming inside and kicking back for several days and not feel like I'm hurting it in some way. When using it at rated speed there's different load variations that seems different in my head than just letting it sit there for hours on end idling away. When we were farming and looking at second hand tractors it always seemed like the ones that had been used for little more than running augers for grain bins wasn't as desirable as a tractor that had been worked for a lot of hours. There had to be something to that high idling that made them less desirable for resale. Maybe that's just some b.s that people think around here and doesn't hold much truth in reality.
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I just can't bring myself to the thought of running it up to 2800rpm, kicking on the pto, then coming inside and kicking back for several days
    I would hope not....

you turn the PTO on before speeding it up!
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lewisc1985 For This Useful Post:

kjmk (10-02-2016), SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I wasn't being spot on accurate, just speaking in general on idling a tractor that high for lengths of time.
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

16. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoGoDriver View Post
    The last power outage in Northern MN was for 5 days, I REALLY need a better solution than the 8 HP B&S driven 4 kw generator that terrorized the wife and neighbors with all the noise. Looking at my JD 1026 with bucket and backhoe. The midpoint PTO runs at 2100 rpm with 3400 rpm engine speed. A friend has a 7KW belt drive, 3600 rpm alternator head that he will sell me cheap. Figuring a 1:2 belt drive off the Mid point PTO and the long shaft for the snowblower, run the engine at 2850 rpm.

The other option is a farm style PTO driven generator with the gear drive to handle the 540 rpm rear PTO. Saw a used one that mounted the generator and gear case in a frame that worked with the 3 pt hitch. Normally sits on built in casters in the back of the garage, back up to it, hook on, slide in the PTO shaft, good to go.

Any one done this? What am I missing? I am aware of the operator's seat switch
    If 4KW is enough power for you, then you might want to look for a way to control the noise. A simple box around the generator with the right airflow will do wonders for your noise, at least directing it away from your neighbors. I had a 17kw generator at the old house (very suburban gated community) and my biggest problem was generator guilt. While everyone was out of power for three days I was running a blender, watching the game, and had every light in the house going. While I offered up power to the closer neighbors there was always the ones that drove by giving me the envy eye. I ended up moving the generator next to an outbuilding for completely unrelated reasons and while I was at it I built a wood fence around that area, mostly for the genset but also as another place to hide junk. It ended up really knocking down the noise and I felt slightly less guilty sucking down the old margaritas and watching the news about how long my neighbors were going to be out of power, in between games of course.

Also, if you are looking at running any expensive electronics you may find that those old style generators put out crap AC. So full of noise that most modern electronics throw a fit, right before they blow smoke. If you are just running the fridge, a few lights, and the fan for the heater then no big deal.

Either way, I don't think running your tractor is going to hurt anything, they are designed to do that (run forever), just watch the temp and fluids and of course it will feel like maximum overkill the entire time but meh.. you're just maximizing your investment so no biggee.
    pcabe5, Levi, JimR and 2 others like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

18. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    My brother in Michigan has a gen. for his Steiner tractor. Steiner is the same as a Ventrac. They live in the country and he uses it every time the power goes out in the winter. Does a good job and doesn't hurt the tractor. His gen. is made for his tractor so you might want to check into that.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

20. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    I'm surprised no one has brought up the storm cleanup, tractor work argument yet!!!

After a storm you are likely to need your tractor for cleanup, the loader, the BH and pulling/dragging logs for starters not to mention snow removal, etc., etc., the list of possibilities is endless.

I for one know that value first hand from recently living thru an EF 1 tornado that hit my property last month.... I would literally have killed myself trying to do all the cleanup I did without my tractor had it been tied up to a generator. As it was I ran my HW 7.5 KW gen for a couple days after the storm and put close to 20 hours on the tractor too in the days following the storm.

Not having BOTH machines usable for their intended purposes for that time would have been quite a struggle-keep your tractor available for tractor duty and work out other solutions to your power needs.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to balrog006 For This Useful Post:

SnoGoDriver (09-30-2016)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast