• 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: 1026 fuel filter replacement problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks

1026 fuel filter replacement problem

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster
    I just hit the 50hr mark and decided to change all the fluids and filters. Well the oil went just as planned but when i got to the fuel filter i thought all went well except when i tried to start it back up. I did everything as the manual says. When i hit the key for the 10-15 sec to fill it up and release the air it only filled 1/4 way up. When i went back to actually fill the container up it had a little pressure on it. So i guess my question is should I take a line off to see if it is vapor locked or what might be the problem?, i ran out of time this morning.

thanks
    cody

2. The Following User Says Thank You to remley44 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (05-13-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    I don't know your tractor- But I need to ask this. After changeing the fuel filter & refilling the fuel bowl, did you open up an air bleeder screw? I'm only asking because you did not say that in your post. The bleeder screw allows that trapped air to get out & you should do that until you have fuel flowing air free from the bleeder screw. And if you did do that, I would be at a loss to help you out. Maybe your sucking in air because the fuel sediment bowel is not tight enough or maybe a bad sealing gasket?

Well I gave it a shot. I did say I don't know your machine.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did not see anything like a bleeder unless i just missed it.

Just read the online manual and it does say it is self bleeding
    Last edited by remley44; 05-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remley44 View Post
    I did not see anything like a bleeder unless i just missed it.

Just read the online manual and it does say it is self bleeding
    Hmm? Self bleeding. Well it's got to then have a vent line someplace in the fuel system I would think. Take a look just above the fuel bowl mounting ring/flange. If you see a screw projecting from a casting, that could be a bleeder screw or valve. But if the manual says self bleeding you may not see anything. The only other thing to do is go to John Deere Parts & find the drawings for the fuel system.

But like I said, I don't know your tractor. Maybe someone will come along soon & put their .02 in. I don't think you have a big problem here. Just a little mystry. Let us know if you get it figured out. Good Luck.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-30-2016 @ 04:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Hmm? Self bleeding. Well it's got to then have a vent line someplace in the fuel system I would think. Take a look just above the fuel bowl mounting ring/flange. If you see a screw projecting from a casting, that could be a bleeder screw or valve. But if the manual says self bleeding you may not see anything. The only other thing to do is go to John Deere Parts & find the drawings for the fuel system.

But like I said, I don't know your tractor. Maybe someone will come along soon & put their .02 in. I don't think you have a big problem here. Just a little mystry. Let us know if you get it figured out. Good Luck.
    Maybe you have an air-lock preventing the pump from priming properly?
    Does the pump sound the same to you when you turn the key? When I had fuel line issues earlier this winter, my pump sounded different. Had you already tried loosening the filter bowl slightly while allowing the pump to prime?
    2012 JD 1026R
    H120/49" FEL, 260BH/12", 2048L BB, 3PH Receiver, Piranha Toothbar, Rimguard'd R4s, 3PH Custom Ballast. Custom JDQA Multipurpose Forks, Multi-mount Grapple, ROPS LED's, Frame mount receivers , Backhoe dolly

Mods in progress: BH thumb, 3PH boom, 3PH subsoiler, man-lift cage

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I got it figured out. I took each line off and let it prime until fuel came out. I also had to take the little line off to the injectors before it would auctually start. Boy did it rattle and roll for a bit when it took off. Thanks for the input guys,

Thanks
    cody

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remley44 View Post
    Well I got it figured out. I took each line off and let it prime until fuel came out. I also had to take the little line off to the injectors before it would auctually start. Boy did it rattle and roll for a bit when it took off. Thanks for the input guys,

Thanks
    cody
    Well I'm glad you got it back up & running. However, all the work you did to clear the problem is still bothersome. I don't think simply replaceing a fuel filter should require all that work you had to do. I would still look for the answer as to why it did not self vent in the first place. You should talk to a service Tech. at your dealer & see what they have to say. On my 855 tractor when I change out the filter, I have a bleeder screw just abve the filter housing. I turn on the fuel pump, open the screw & I can see all the air bubbles leaving the system. When I get a solid stream of fuel out the screw, I'm good to go. Inquireing minds want to know.

ohioclayguy likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements