Green Tractor Talk banner

1025R leaking fluid

17K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  WifeSaidOK 
#1 ·
I think I have some sort of leak coming from the transaxle/transmission of my 1025r. I had noticed a couple drips on the floor of the shed over the past couple of weeks. The other day I got ready to change the hydraulic fluid. Once I got under the tractor, I noticed that the bottom of the tranny was quite wet with oil. I stopped what I was doing so I can get it to the dealer to check/fix. I called them today and spoke with the service mgr. He stated that he was 99% sure that whatever they find would be covered under warranty. I found that odd that he would be so straight out with that, makes me think this is something that they have seen before. Either way, as long as it gets fixed and stops leaking, and I don’t have to pay for anything, I am OK with that. I do have to pay for the round trip transportation to their shop ($85), but whatever. I will update this thread as I get more info. They are coming to get the tractor on Friday.

#2 ·
It seems pretty common to have a slow leak where the halves and covers of the tranny meet up, and are basically just gooped up with silicone when they are assembled.

#4 ·
That is very worrisome as two machined surfaces should be very easy to seal with silicone...........Done correctly, they should never leak.

Reactions: Levi
#3 ·
How many hours are on your tractor?

#5 ·
72 hours.

#7 ·
I am curious about the $85. How far did they have to come to pick it up and drop it back off for that?

#11 ·
Dealer came to pick up the tractor yesterday while I was at work. I was surprised to find my backhoe in the driveway when I got home. I guess they don't need it, which is fine. I wish they had told me first. The good news is that I now can see how easy it must be to get the backhoe on/off. Not much to it. Guess I will have to learn how to reattach it when it comes back in a couple weeks.

#13 ·
Pull up this video and jump to 3 minutes, 40 seconds into the video.

If your still stuck, give a shout.

#12 ·
I for one am not fond of silicone sealers on mated machined surfaces. My 1025 has a tiny amount of oil wicking out of the transaxle. Not enough to trouble over. I wish these were assembled with genuine gaskets.

#15 ·
Well, Marshawn has been at the dealer for 4 weeks. I called them yesterday to find out what the heck was going on. I assumed they were waiting for parts, or warranty approval from Deere, or something. I assumed wrong. They have been running it, driving it, doing different things to try to find a leak, to no avail. No leak found. They kept it parked in their shop with a piece of cardboard under it, and nothing dripped out. Hmmmm, OK. They will deliver it back to me tomorrow and told me to keep an eye on it. If anymore leaks are noticed, to let them know so they can come get it again. I hate that, because I know it is going to leak again, and that will be another month of downtime. Oh well.

I have missed Marshawn the past month. It is a good thing my weekends have been busy sucking up leaves with my LA135, so I didn't really need to use Marshawn. But i have a couple projects that need to be done before the snow flies, so we will get right back at it.

#16 ·
Leave the backhoe off for a few days and see if the leak is still there. If not, put the backhoe back on and see if the leak returns.

When diagnosing something that is unknown you should first not change the parameters of what is being measured. If the leak is from the backhoe, they will need to fix it under warranty anyhow. They may have wasted time by dropping the backhoe in an effort to save themselves...what? Toting the backhoe doesn't add enough weight to their rig to jeopardize hauling it and it certainly shouldn't take up too much room in the shop.

Not sure it is the BH causing the problem but it sounds suspect. Unless they changed the fluids and replaced an o-ring or tightened what was factory loose in their maintenance efforts.

#17 ·
Has the trans fluid/filter been changed? If so, did all fluid from doing that been wiped off after?

#18 ·
Nope, was getting ready to do the first trans fluid/filter change when I noticed how wet it was underneath.

#19 ·
Well, the dealer brought the tractor back Friday. They get 2 bonus points:
-The reattached the backhoe (although I was kind of hoping I would be there to see them do it).
-They have not charged me the $85 delivery/pickup fee. I was just at the dealer on Saturday, so I know I don't have any outstanding invoices.

I need to get some cardboard to put underneath it. In the meantime, I need to get that hydraulic fluid changed pretty soon.

#20 ·
OK to update this, I changed the hydraulic fluid. Unfortunately I overfilled it, so it really leaked. I took about a quart out, but it still leaks.
The leak is heavier after running the tractor, even for a short period of time. After it sits overnight, it still drips but not nearly as bad.
I figured out this morning that the leak appears to be coming from the right side (when looking at it from the rear) of the transmission housing. I checked the tightness of a couple bolts, nothing was loose.

Anyway, it will be going back to the dealer next week. I want them to see what I am seeing.

#21 ·
I discovered a wet bottom of the trans. on my 1025R with 36 hrs . The hyd. pump cover was the culprit . I had a hex bolt that was backed out about 3/8" of an inch probably from factory. You will need a good light to check that area as it is hard to see.
My dealer came and tightened it , I did not want to do anything to void the warranty even though is was a simple fix. A GOOD dealer home service call . I do have a heated garage which helps the mechanic ..

#22 ·
I think I remember seeing that post. I'll give that a look tonight. Is that hex bolt towards the bottom and rear?

#23 ·
Have you checked all the hyd. lines everywhere?

#24 ·
Not really, because the leak seems to be coming from one specific area directly below the pump

#25 ·
if it's under warranty make them fix it...could be a leaking gasket, casting flaw, etc.

Would be nice if these little tractors actually were made with a cast iron housin g on the tranny...

#28 ·
OK I found where the leak is coming from. OK that's not exactly true. I found drops of oil on the pump.
This pic is so you can see generally where the drip is.

Attachments

#29 ·
This pic is a bit closer in.

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
And this last picture is from underneath looking up. The larger nut that you see is on the inside for the backhoe frame.
Where the cover meets the pump, you can see the seam. There was sealant (almost seemed like a paper gasket) that flaked off when I rubbed it. And that is where I found the oil. Right on that seam where there is no paint. The smaller bolt head just north of that area, you can see that is a bolt that I tried to tighten last night, to no avail.

Attachments

#31 ·
Anyway, stopped at dealer today to show them on a different tractor where Marshawn is leaking from. They are going to come pick it up next week, and with any luck I will have it back within a couple weeks. I am convinced that it is a bad seal.

#32 ·
Circling back to wrap up this thread. Dealer found a casting imperfection where one of the hydraulic lines connects to the pump. They were able to clean it up and fix the leak. I ran the tractor for a bit last night to warm it up, then put it in the garage with some cardboard under it to check for leaks. Not one single drop this morning, first time ever. I am pleased that they were able to find it and fix it. No charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.