Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Smoke pouring out of my 1023e

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-24-2016 @ 09:57 AM
    Thanks

Unhappy Smoke pouring out of my 1023e

I am not having a good two weeks.

Last week it was my battery that failed and had to be replaced. That wasted one Saturday.

Now today while bushhogging my tractor started pouring out thick black then white smoke out of the exhaust. It was so bad I tried to turn of the engine and this really freaked me out - when I tried to turn the engine off using the key it did not stop. It kept running and pouring smoke for about a minute before it stopped.

This is a two year old unit with not even 35 hours on it and I am really frustrated. I will be calling Ag Pro first thing on Monday but any input is welcome.

Here is a link to a quick video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/psrks8w6n4...35.30.mov?dl=0

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Smoke pouring out of my 1023e

Do not attempt to run the tractor again until this has been properly diagnosed! You could have a failed injector or injector pump which can allow the engine to "run away" as in have zero control. It can run on its own by ingesting uncontrolled fuel or even more common in diesels is an internal oil leak. They will run uncontrollably and eventually raise the rpm as the fuel (diesel or oil) leak gets worse to the point the engine fails.

I'm sorry you've got this issue. I hope it's easily found and repaired as this is a fairly rare issue with any modern diesel engine.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 8 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

alicat418 (10-09-2016), Buchananj1956 (10-25-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 2,552 Posts

Smoke pouring out of my 1023e

Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Do not attempt to run the tractor again until this has been properly diagnosed!
    This!

It could be an failed injection pump too, it wouldn't the time we've heard of this-although a different issue: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...id-1023-a.html

Particularly post #43 where he wrote that JD replaced the failed IP even out of warranty, his unit had 275 hours on it.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

alicat418 (10-09-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have been around equipment my entire life and never wittinessed this, I've only heard about it and seen videos on YouTube of a "run away" diesel. One thing I am certain of though, I applaud you for thinking to shoot a video during this. I don't think I would have thought of anything at all other than standing there with a thought of "oh sh*t"!
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 10-08-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 3 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

alicat418 (10-09-2016)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alicat418 View Post
    I am not having a good two weeks.

Last week it was my battery that failed and had to be replaced. That wasted one Saturday.

Now today while bushhogging my tractor started pouring out thick black then white smoke out of the exhaust. It was so bad I tried to turn of the engine and this really freaked me out - when I tried to turn the engine off using the key it did not stop. It kept running and pouring smoke for about a minute before it stopped.

This is a two year old unit with not even 35 hours on it and I am really frustrated. I will be calling Ag Pro first thing on Monday but any input is welcome.

Here is a link to a quick video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/psrks8w6n4...35.30.mov?dl=0
    If you wouldn't mind, please post the serial number of your tractor. I noticed in the parts manual for Deere they show two different part numbers based upon a change in the pumps for units after production number 310001.

John Deere part number MIA881669 for tractors up to *********310000

John Deere part number MIA882413 for tractors built ******310001 and after......

Just FYI, the John Deere part number is MIA882418 for the 1025r units........

Not that the Injection pump has been confirmed as the problem, but I would like to confirm the serial number of these machines which are having problems. I am going to send member 2Lteacher a Private Message and ask him about his tractors vehicle I.D. number which Deere stepped up and helped repair even with 275 hours on the unit. Hopefully, he will respond. I also asked him to update his original thread or post on this thread about the final outcome of his dealings with Deere and I also inquired how his tractor has been running since the repair.

Maybe it's nothing and merely a coincidence, but it would be nice to know of the units having trouble are in the pump part number which has been replaced with a new part number. It seems odd that these 1023e units, which are produced in far lower volume than the 1025r, are having these issues. Perhaps I just haven't seen the threads on any failure issues of injector pumps on the 1025r tractors.

I know that based upon production numbers I found on a Deere website, it seemed like the 1025R were produced at a rate of 20 or 25 tractors (or perhaps even higher) for every 1 model 1023e produced. I am trying to nail down the actual numbers.

In the PM I sent the poster on the thread which Kenny linked from 2LTeacher, I asked him to post an update to either his original thread or this one about how his tractor is running and how Deere ended up handling his specific situation. If there is a pump issue, it would be helpful for alicat418, the OP of this thread to know as much as possible when he has to deal with his dealer.

It is worth a shot...
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

alicat418 (10-09-2016)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I've seen a few injector failures that were very similar to what happened to your tractor, but the IP is also a very strong possibility.

Can't stress enough how right everyone is, definitely do not start it again.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

alicat418 (10-09-2016)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Could be a fuel injection problem. Bad pump or nozzle are likely culprits. Before doing anything else remove the fuel fill cap and take a whiff. If you smell gasoline there's your problem. Drain the tank and filters and refill with fresh, verified diesel. Add a triple shot of a good quality fuel system lubricant like this: Diesel Fuel Lube ? Best Price on Opti-Lube Additives
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

As others have said, get it to the dealer and let them deal with it as it's 2 years old and should be under the powertrain warranty.

As far as a runaway Diesel, there are basically 2 types, Diesel or "other" fueled.

Diesel fueled are ones where the fuel is supplied by the injector pump and the key switch or mechanical fuel shut off does not have an effect, The easiest way to stop one of these is to cut or crimp off the fuel line from the tank and stop the flow of fuel to the pump starving the engine of fuel.

"Other fueled" runaways can be internal (blowby gasses, oil seal on a turbocharger/supercharger shaft) or externally fueled, (Natural gas, gasoline vapors, methane plumes at landfills for examples) External fueled are the most unpredictable as they are independent of mechanical state of the engine. The only way to quickly stop an "other fueled" runaway is to mechanically stop the flow of air into the engine with either a plugging object on the intake or by directing a CO2 or Halon fire extinguisher into the air intake starving the engine of oxygen, stopping the fuel from burning. Do not use your hand or a rag to plug the intake, as either can get sucked into the engine with bad results. If the engine is connected to a gear transmission, putting it in the highest gear and stomping the brakes can shut it down, that's what my brother did with a Detroit in a Chevy Titan cab-over years ago when the seals in the supercharger went and fueled the engine with oil.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

cheesetrain (10-08-2016)

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    I would pull the dipstick and check the oil level. Also have a look at the air filter. I wouldn't do much else. Let the dealer dig deeper.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    pcabe5 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast