Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Broken Autoconnect PTO and other parts on two year old 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks

Broken Autoconnect PTO and other parts on two year old 1025R

Hello,

I have a two year old 1025R that I had purchased brand new. Unfortunately, when I was using my RC2048 rotary cutter the other day on some weeds, I heard a horrible sound and immediately shut everything down. My autoconnect PTO and other parts had broken off and were under the rotary cutter! From what I can tell (see attached pictures), the PTO shaft must have broken and caused the whole thing to fall down. I did not have the mower deck on at the time, and had everything for the mower lift arms in the locked position. I've always kept everything greased and start the PTO with the RPMs all the way down.

Since I'm one year out of warranty, I'm debating if it's even worth it to take it to the dealer to have them contact John Deere to see if they could do anything. It looks like it's around $700 in parts for the tractor mounted autoconnect parts. I talked to the dealer and they said I have to bring the whole tractor in so they could photograph it to show John Deere (not just the mangled parts).

I'm wondering if I could buy someone's mechanical lift parts that had converted to autoconnect for significantly less money. Anyone have those parts lying around?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTO2.jpg   PTO1.jpg  
    ----
    1025R, H120 Loader, 60D mmm, RC2048 rotary cutter, 54" snowblower, iMatch, ballast box

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    Bummer, that's a good amount of damage. I would go back to the site where the accident happened and look for a rock. In the first photo, it appears the linkage corner and autoconnect bearing frame took a hit as evidenced by the gouged steel. If I were John Deere, that is the first thing that would catch my eye. If no rock, be ready for a good explanation to that question.

I am less of a help on replacement parts - I'm sure other members have better ideas. Sure, you can check local classifieds and ebay. You can also price out the parts on GreenFarmParts.com, a vendor I like and use. They will be lower than list.
    BigJim55 and ensign like this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I looked over the site real well and there was just some pencil thin brush and weeds. Keep in mind, once it came off, it was getting whacked by the rotary cutter. I suspect this is where the gouges came from.
    Levi, BigJim55 and jbfrancis3 like this.
    ----
    1025R, H120 Loader, 60D mmm, RC2048 rotary cutter, 54" snowblower, iMatch, ballast box

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ensign View Post
    Hello,

I have a two year old 1025R that I had purchased brand new. Unfortunately, when I was using my RC2048 rotary cutter the other day on some weeds, I heard a horrible sound and immediately shut everything down. My autoconnect PTO and other parts had broken off and were under the rotary cutter! From what I can tell (see attached pictures), the PTO shaft must have broken and caused the whole thing to fall down. I did not have the mower deck on at the time, and had everything for the mower lift arms in the locked position. I've always kept everything greased and start the PTO with the RPMs all the way down.

Since I'm one year out of warranty, I'm debating if it's even worth it to take it to the dealer to have them contact John Deere to see if they could do anything. It looks like it's around $700 in parts for the tractor mounted autoconnect parts. I talked to the dealer and they said I have to bring the whole tractor in so they could photograph it to show John Deere (not just the mangled parts).

I'm wondering if I could buy someone's mechanical lift parts that had converted to autoconnect for significantly less money. Anyone have those parts lying around?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Whew!!! What a mess!! Actually the mechanical lift parts really do not have anything to do with the auto-connect. I believe what you are referring to is the manual connect driveshaft. You should be able to get a new manual connect driveshaft.
    ensign likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Wow that is bad,,and yes that is going to cost someone a large amount of money.

Just wondering if a branch , small tree may have snagged the auto connect parts.
    BigJim55 and ensign like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    You were running on rear pto only and all that assembly fell right out?
    BigJim55, W9GFO and ensign like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    You were running on rear pto only and all that assembly fell right out?
    Yes. I don't know the sequence of events other than hearing the awful sound that turned out to be the rotary cutter hitting the assembly. I suspect that the pto shaft might have almost been broken before using the rotary cutter, but can't confirm.
    pcabe5, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ----

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    I can't wrap my head around why the mid PTO shaft came off at the transaxle end. This shaft has that locking collar on it that will not let that end of the shaft come off unless you physically pull the collar toward that shaft and pull it off.
    It is really hard to determine what happened first but something caused that end of the PTO shaft to come off.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I can't wrap my head around why the mid PTO shaft came off at the transaxle end. This shaft has that locking collar on it that will not let that end of the shaft come off unless you physically pull the collar toward that shaft and pull it off.
    It is really hard to determine what happened first but something caused that end of the PTO shaft to come off.
    I physically removed the collar myself to better photograph the carnage. The collar stayed where it was supposed to.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ----

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    What a mess....very sorry this happened to you.

I'd throw the pto autoconnect in the trash where it belongs, and just get a manual connect driveshaft.

Good luck!
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and ensign like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast