Experienced some pretty coarse chassis vibration today- what do you make of this.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Experienced some pretty coarse chassis vibration today- what do you make of this.....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks

Experienced some pretty coarse chassis vibration today- what do you make of this.....

Got my 1025R out today.... have roughly 9.5 hours on it.

Removed the AutoConnect 60D mowing deck - went very well this time (only my 2nd time removing the deck).

Then, I installed the Front End Loader - which was a breeze.

Yanked a few 'straggler' roots of very little consequence, with a chain attached to my 'Heavy Hitch'.... from the ground where I had cut down a pine tree.... (my son-in-law yanked out the stump with his Chevy 4X4).

Then... I moved about 4 yards of topsoil with several 'half-bucket' FEL bucket scoops a distance of maybe 60 feet each trip.

I engaged the 4X4 a few times just while I was digging into the dirt pile... Then disengaged it and drove across my grass lawn to dump the dirt.

Somewhere along the line.... a helluva vibration could be felt while I was driving along in a straight line in 2 wheel drive.... with no load in the bucket. Even when I had some dirt in it, it was only about half full.... so it wasn't that heavy of a load.

I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel.... and at one point pretty coarse vibration through the seat as well.

It also seemed like a 'coarse, grind-y' sort of noise accompanied the vibration.... a different tone to the engine perhaps... or in the drivetrain.

I checked the 4X4 lever to make sure it wasn't 'half-engaged' and it was securely in the 2WD position. Turning the wheel seemed to make it worse.... and I wondered if I had some issue with the front 4X4 wheel hub assembly....

I turned the mower off... and then back on and it seemed to disappear.... but then it came back and disappeared several more times..... I figured I would just keep using it and see if it worked itself out.... and if not, I would park it and call the dealer to come and pick it up - yet again.

The coarse vibration felt through the steering wheel and entire chassis would be present, even standing still to a degree..... but was compounded when moving forward and reverse.... and it seemed like turning the wheel exacerbated it somewhat too.

After a while... it seemed to sort of 'settle down' and towards the end of my roughly 2 hour job with it, it seemed to go away..... When I was finished with my dirt hauling job.... and smoothing the dirt out with the bucket in preparation to seed the area, I drove the tractor to my back yard and detached the front end loader in my pole barn. Then, I drove to where I had uninstalled my 60D mower deck in my backyard and reinstalled it.... which went quite well. All the time I did these implement changes, the tractor acted completely normal....

After hooking up my mower deck... I mowed a very small patch of my lawn just to make sure the mower deck was attached and working correctly..... no problem at all. Deck worked fine - no vibration.

Not quite sure what to think of the coarse vibration I was feeling earlier.... it was really VERY concerning. Should I have the dealer take a look at it? Or should I work with it a little longer and see if it returns???

Being that it felt like it was vibrating even standing still.... I wondered if it could be engine related...???

Would appreciate any insight and advice you might have... thanks people.
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 10-15-2016 at 12:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Just wondering were you in H Range and running a low RPM..

Also did you have any ballast on the rear the end of tractor. If not that is rough on the front end even with small bucket loads .
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    Obviously you have a lot of warranty left to try this out to see if it continues. If so, time for a phone call to the dealer.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I would use the tractor a bit more and see if you can replicate the issue. The dealer won't be able to fix a problem that they can't experience, so make sure it happens consistently enough to be found before taking it in.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Just wondering were you in H Range and running a low RPM..

Also did you have any ballast on the rear the end of tractor. If not that is rough on the front end even with small bucket loads .
    I had the unit in LOW and rpm's were at approximately 2200....just below the pto mark.

Ballast box with sandbags...not sure total weight.....but to reiterate, there was coarse vibration even standing still...
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I would use the tractor a bit more and see if you can replicate the issue. The dealer won't be able to fix a problem that they can't experience, so make sure it happens consistently enough to be found before taking it in.
    Kind of what I was thinking too.... I have to mow the lawn tomorrow....so it will be in use for about an hour. I will be on the lookout for this to happen again.
    etcallhome, 56FordGuy and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    You say it was vibrating even when sitting still: Check the hydraulic fluid level COLD before starting up. If ok and still vibrating check the exhaust pipe for one cylinder misfiring or not firing at all. ALSO, as this happened to me, check to see that the entire exhaust pipe/muffler assembly is tight. When it's loose it sounds for all the world like a "rod knock"... scary!
    Then I'd would be checking fuel filters and fuel for restrictions if it is rough exhaust... and then calling The Dealer Man. Good luck.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HydroHarold For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (10-15-2016)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks

Air cleaner bracket

Joe:

Check to see if the bolts in the bracket for the air cleaner are tight.

They loosened up on mine, and it took me while to figure out what the rattling noise was.
    1025r, H120, 54" snowblower, 60D MMM, 48" Woods BB, KK subsoiler & 48" brush hog, Curtis cab

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 130Oxbow For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (10-15-2016)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    I had the unit in LOW and rpm's were at approximately 2200....just below the pto mark.

Ballast box with sandbags...not sure total weight.....but to reiterate, there was coarse vibration even standing still...
    I usually run mine around 23-2500 sometimes higher Rpm depending on what I'm doing while using the FEL. Low rpm speeds will cause vibrations , for me leaving the frame work on for mine Original Cab on year around . Usually raising the RPM a 100 or 200 rpm helps . As others have said check around see if a hose is close to another or rubbing on something.
    When you say just below the 2200...just below the pto 2200 mark..PTO is 3200 RPM maybe you meant 3200 .
    And as others have stated , get some more hours , keep watching , listening and see if it does it again. Then if still there call the dealer, if you can't find the trouble .

Per manual just part of the info for using PTO.

NOTE: The LCD indicates the PTO speed at an engine speed of 3200 rpm.
    At 3200 engine rpm the mid PTO speed will be 2100 rpm and rear PTO speed will be 540 rpm, as indicated on the LCD.
    If PTO shuts off during use, turn off engine and push down to turn off PTO/RIO switch. Lock park brake. Allow engine to cool. Check coolant level and add coolant if necessary. Clean debris away from radiator cooling fins. Sit on seat, and start engine. Pull PTO/RIO switch up to the on position. If PTO still does not engage, see your local John Deere Dealer for service.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 130Oxbow View Post
    Joe:

Check to see if the bolts in the bracket for the air cleaner are tight.

They loosened up on mine, and it took me while to figure out what the rattling noise was.
    The rubber strap that goes around the air cleaner broke on mine and it made a hell of a rattling sound until I figured out what was wrong. The dealer didn't have one in stock so they took the strap off of a new tractor on the lot and handed it to me. So far so good with the second one.
    2016 1025r TLB, H120 loader with 53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar, Ken's hooks, 54" mechanical lift deck/auto connect & mulching kit, 260 backhoe with 12" bucket, Titan pallet forks, County line post hole auger
    1987 318, 50" deck

Reluctant member of hitting the Rops on the garage door TWICE
    (Gone but not forgotten) 1947 John Deere D, 1984 318, 1985 430
    Stihl MS290 20" bar
    Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    Stihl BR350 Backpack blower

99 Honda Foreman S

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast