• 3 Post By BetterThanATonka
  • 5 Post By jphavener

Thread: Hard Starting after changing fuel filters

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks

Hard Starting after changing fuel filters

Ok, so last weekend I had the unfortunate realization that I have owned my 1025 for 3.5 years. I realized this as it began to stall out while I was mowing. I couldn't figure out what in the world was going on. Was extremely frustrated thinking that my Deere was dying on me. Immediately thought of the worst case scenario. Well, it was shortly after I decided to park it and give up on mowing that I came in and looked at my maintenance records and realized that I had missed the part in the maintenance schedule that mentioned to change the fuel filters yearly or every 400 hours. So I had never changed the filters in 3.5 years.

After a trip to the dealer on Monday and changing the fuel filters Tuesday, the tractor runs much better, but it has a hard time starting. Not a rough start like when it is cold, but when it has sat for a while, the first time I crank the starter, it fires then snorts and bucks once or twice then dies. The second time I crank it, fires off immediately smoothly and evenly just like the day I got it. Once it is has been started it fires off no issues so it definitely seems to be an issue with something bleeding down maybe? I thought maybe running it for a few days would clear this up, like maybe there was an air pocket in the lines, but it doesn't seem to have made any improvement. Is there anything I am missing with the fuel filter change procedure that might cause this? I had no issues changing the fuel filters, the bowl filled right up when I turned the key on. I ran through about 5-10 key on cycles before I attempted to start it after changing filters.

Any thoughts? Is this just something I'm going to have to get used to?

Jeff
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I suspect you have an air leak somewhere. Diesel fuel systems are tricky in this matter. You can have an air leak under vacuum (like I believe you do) but it won't leak fuel under pressure. I've had this issue many times. Check the parts you've changed, especially the connections and o-ring seal on the separator.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

BetterThanATonka (10-17-2016), Cbrown06 (10-17-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I suspect you have an air leak somewhere. Diesel fuel systems are tricky in this matter. You can have an air leak under vacuum (like I believe you do) but it won't leak fuel under pressure. I've had this issue many times. Check the parts you've changed, especially the connections and o-ring seal on the separator.
    Thanks diesel. I'll give them a once over again this morning.

Jeff
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    1973 140
    1974 140

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    Did you change the in-line fuel filter under the left floor board also? I have found this in-line fuel filter to cause more issues than the main cartridge filter.
    If you didn't change the in-line filter, definitely do that first.
    BTW....it is a pain to change!!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes sir, Ray, definitely changed them both. The inline filter looked like it was the culprit. The cartridge filter looked almost like new. Lots of sediment in the inline filter. Looks like it was doing its job. I didn't have too much trouble with the inline filter. Other than the backhoe sub frame being a little in the way. Only took about 5 minutes.

Hopefully re-seating everything will do the trick. I cleaned the o-ring on the sediment bowl and re-seated the clamps on the inline filter. Have to let it sit for a while to see if that will get it. I'll try it throughout this week and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jeff
    1973 140
    1974 140

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Good luck with your fix.

Don't feel too bad about the fuel filter, I just bought some Wix fuel filters so that I can replace the original filter on one of my tractors...that's 36 years old.
    BigJim55, Marlin and Drifterbike like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Looks like that might have been it. I let it sit for about 6 hours and when I went to fire it off, she lit right off, just like new. So glad that was it. It had gotten to where it was rough starting and I don't know why I never thought of the fuel filter. Looks like I have something to keep an eye on for next year!

Jeff
    RandyM, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    1973 140
    1974 140

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jphavener For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (10-16-2016), BetterThanATonka (10-17-2016), Cbrown06 (10-17-2016), etcallhome (10-21-2016)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-02-2019 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jphavener View Post
    Looks like that might have been it. I let it sit for about 6 hours and when I went to fire it off, she lit right off, just like new. So glad that was it. It had gotten to where it was rough starting and I don't know why I never thought of the fuel filter. Looks like I have something to keep an eye on for next year!

Jeff
    Thanks to both of you for sharing. I've learned something new today and it's not even lunch time!
    Tom

2010 JD LA115 mower w/bagger
    2011 JD 10P dump cart
    2016 JD 1025R TLB: H120 loader w/ 49" bucket - 260 BH w/12" bucket - 60D MMM w/auto PTO - iMatch Quick Hitch
    Heavy Hitch toothbar | Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks | Ken's Seat Springs | Ken's Diff Pedal | Edge Tamers
    Frontier 2048 Box blade | Frontier LR2060L Landscape Rake
    2016 Cyclone Rake model Z-10

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Alright, just wanted to close this out.

After sitting for the past 5 days, I went out to the garage after work this evening and gave the ol' girl a crank. She once again fired right off with a little black puff just like when she was new!

So looks like the fuel filters were the issue I had with the stalling and had a bleed down/air issue that was corrected by either cleaning/re-seating the connections and/or running it hard (mowing) for a little while.

Thanks to all for the help!

Jeff
    1973 140
    1974 140

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jphavener For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (10-24-2016)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements