• 2 Post By Oak Hill Farm
  • 1 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: 1025 with Box Blade or Rear Blade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-12-2019 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

1025 with Box Blade or Rear Blade

I recently purchased a 1025 and am now considering either a box blade or a rear blade with "side extensions" on it. My primary use is to remove snow, smooth out some dirt in places in the yard and maintain my gravel driveway. Anyone ever used the grader blade with side extensions? I understand they are removable for when you need to use the blade on an angle. I figured if I ever need to do any serious earthmoving, I would then just rent a box blade for that project.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    If you are going to use it for mostly snow, I would go with the blade, not the box blade (BB). The BB would be overkill and a bit more expensive to get. While the BB will work, I do no think it would be in your best interest. You can also level the yard with the regular blade.
    ensign and Drifterbike like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    A box blade won't move snow well. The blade will fill up and then start packing snow against the rear of the tractor, and you have to drive over the dump location to empty it unless you lift the blade and back over the pile you just pulled up then push it off with the loader. A rear blade at an angle works much better to roll the snow off to the side. It's also more versatile for working on ditches or creating a crown in the road.

Box blades have scarifier teeth which are better for working hard packed dirt or breaking up gravel, and they also move material much better than a grader blade.

They both have a place. A great setup would be a plow on the loader so you don't have to drive trough the snow before you move it, and a box blade for heavy grading work.
    Jep and ensign like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I've been maintaining my gravel driveway and plowing snow with a rear blade for 30+ years. Sometimes I pull material forward and other times I push backwards using the curve side of the blade. For everything except moving in a straight line the side wings would end up being a PITA. They would also be a pain to keep installing and removing all the time.

I recommend getting the blade without the side wings and see how it works for you. For most blades the side wings are purchased separately anyway so you can always add them later. Verify the available of such an option when choosing a blade.
    ensign likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    They both have a place. A great setup would be a plow on the loader so you don't have to drive trough the snow before you move it, and a box blade for heavy grading work.
    I agree. With a small tractor like the 1-series you will likely have to plow in reverse with a rear blade as the snow between the blade and the tractor will get really deep unless you have the blade angled. An angled blade doesn't work very well with side wings.
    BigJim55 and ensign like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the insights. I meant to say that I was considering the side extensions on the grader blade for the instances where it would be used to move dirt, like a box blade. Figured I could install the extensions for those few occasions when I need that sort of blade. I had both blades for the tractor I just sold. I found that the box blade got very little use as compared to the grader blade, once I got my yard and driveway put in. Both of those were too big for the 1025, so I sold them.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Went with a Craig's list RBC 60 rear blade ($250) Picked up a horse stall mat from tractor supply, cut a strip and bolted it between moldboard and cutting edge. Basically a squeege to clean up after using front blower. Went in this direction from a lot of help and advice from guys on the forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	255257
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak Hill Farm View Post
    I recently purchased a 1025 and am now considering either a box blade or a rear blade with "side extensions" on it. My primary use is to remove snow, smooth out some dirt in places in the yard and maintain my gravel driveway. Anyone ever used the grader blade with side extensions? I understand they are removable for when you need to use the blade on an angle. I figured if I ever need to do any serious earthmoving, I would then just rent a box blade for that project.

Hey neighbor! What part of Indiana are you from?

I'd like to raise a more general comment about attachments for the 1-series.
    I have found that having the right attachment for the job is what makes the tractor valuable. If one is willing to spend $15,000+ on a tractor, I would encourage them not to scrimp on attachments.

In this case, for snow removal, I would recommend the front blade. It is much easier to remove snow with a front blade than a rear blade.
    It costs about $1300 and will last forever if you keep it inside.

Then, if you need to move dirt, choose your favorite type of rear blade. I would choose the box blade myself.

Just my opinion.

Tim
    RandyM, mark02tj and theduke like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    timmarks, I live south west of Bloomington, between Bedford and Bloomfield. I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. One of my criteria is to reduce the number of one function attachments. I have downsized in both facilities and equipment. Got rid of 2 tractors (a mid size utility/loader tractor and a large garden tractor/mower) and acquired the 1025 as an "in between" replacement. I need to find attachments that meet my needs but also serve more than one function, where possible. That was the genesis of the original question.
    Levi and Tractor Tim like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak Hill Farm View Post
    timmarks, I live south west of Bloomington, between Bedford and Bloomfield. I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. One of my criteria is to reduce the number of one function attachments. I have downsized in both facilities and equipment. Got rid of 2 tractors (a mid size utility/loader tractor and a large garden tractor/mower) and acquired the 1025 as an "in between" replacement. I need to find attachments that meet my needs but also serve more than one function, where possible. That was the genesis of the original question.
    Yep. I get it. You can probably do fine with a rear blade in that area...for at least MOST of the snowfalls. The extra heavy ones will be a challenge, but the typical 4-6 inches should be doable.

Tim
    Levi likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements