Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree536Likes

Thread: Buyers Remorse

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks

Buyers Remorse

OK, so I've been lurking here for a couple of months, reading up and learning about tractors. The reason why is kind of a long story. I've read enough here to know that this community is very friendly and helpful, but I also learned that if I really want answers (or validation in this case), you guys are going to need to know as much as I can share. So, here we go....

My wife and I recently (3 years ago) moved from our Condo to a house we had built in the Connecticut country side. We have just over 3 acres. About 1/2 of it is grass, the other half woods. Our house is on top of a hill. The change in elevation from the street to our back yard is about 50'. Our driveway is 320' long, 9' wide at the bottom, 38' wide at the top with an incline that reaches 10%. That's 7,500 square feet of asphalt. We love living here, but there is a lot of work to do. Luckily, both of us are not afraid of work and we are very capable.

As we were getting ready to move in a friend of mine was getting ready to move out of his house into an apartment (divorce). He was selling a Cub Cadet LT-1050 riding lawn tractor. 20hp, hydrostatic trans, 50" deck, it was in great shape, the price was right and my buddy needed cash so we bought it. It's a nice lawn mower. We have a utility trailer and we have moved a lot of top soil, mulch, stones, pavers, firewood, etc... with it. It's been a life saver with these hills. Well, as you could imagine, in just three years of that kind of use, the transmission is not happy. It's growling and refuses to climb some of the hills that it used to go up with ease. I've taken the transmission out to change the oil (there is no drain plug or replaceable filter), and what came out of the fill hole confirmed that the transmission is done. (Dark black oil with a constant stream of silver dust). I started reading up on that transmission, and it's really a disposable unit (they call it "Maintenance Free"). A replacement is $589. That's just a little less than I paid for the used tractor. If I replace it, and continue to use the machine the way we have, it's just a matter of time before it's shot again. So that revelation brought me to John Deere.

I started my quest looking for a new Lawn Tractor that was heavier duty than the Home Depot special Cub Cadet. Something that had a serviceable transmission with replaceable filter. While we're at it, 4 wheel drive would be nice because there are some slopes here that we simply can't cut with the CC. It just can't get traction. If I try to go straight up, the rear wheel (1) starts spinning and digs a hole. If I go straight down it will leave two skid marks all the way down as the rear wheel won't hook up and the tractor races to a high speed where it's not cutting the grass well. So yeah, 4 wheel drive is a must. It would also be nice if it could help with our tree work. We have a wood burning fireplace and just the trees that dies of natural causes around here keep us busy and full of firewood. So if it could help us move firewood that would be great. Oh, hey... What about the driveway... Our snow removal efforts are pretty serious in the winter. We have two snow blowers, his and hers, but since we're talking 4 wheel drive, maybe a nicer machine could help us with the snow removal. You see where this is going, right...?

So, after sliding down this slippery slope, we just ordered a 1025R with a 60" MMM deck, H-120 FEL, 54" Snow Blower attachment and R4 Turf Tires. The kid in me is really excited. The adult in me realizes that I just bought a tractor that cost more than most of the cars that I've owned. Have I lost my mind...?!? I expect to receive our new JD right around election day. I am very anxious and hope that it lives up to our expectations. If it does, I'm OK with it.

Do you guys think I made a mistake? Does my configuration makes sense? Should I throw in a set of forks? Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by Gator Bite; 10-22-2016 at 08:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Mistake? I think not. I think you'll be grinning ear to ear as you can easily accomplish the chores you set out to do. Then you'll be looking for more work and more attachments!

Congrats on your new
    pcabe5, Duke Snyder, Levi and 8 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 2,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    Have I lost my mind...?!?
    Why yes, absolutely But it's OK since most everyone else here has also.

I think you made a great choice, the 1-series sounds like a perfect fit for you and your property, welcome to GTT and the big leagues.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    OK, so I've been lurking here for a couple of months, reading up and learning about tractors. The reason why is kind of a long story. I've read enough here to know that this community is very friendly and helpful, but I also learned that if I really want answers (or validation in this case), you guys are going to need to know as much as I can share. So, here we go....

My wife and I recently (3 years ago) moved from our Condo to a house we had built in the Connecticut country side. We have just over 3 acres. About 1/2 of it is grass, the other half woods. Our house is on top of a hill. The change in elevation from the street to our back yard is about 50'. Our driveway is 320' long, 9' wide at the bottom, 38' wide at the top with an incline that reaches 10%. That's 7,500 square feet of asphalt. We love living here, but there is a lot of work to do. Luckily, both of us are not afraid of work and we are very capable.

As we were getting ready to move in a friend of mine was getting ready to move out of his house into an apartment (divorce). He was selling a Cub Cadet LT-1050 riding lawn tractor. 20hp, hydrostatic trans, 50" deck, it was in great shape, the price was right and my buddy needed cash so we bought it. It's a nice lawn mower. We have a utility trailer and we have moved a lot of top soil, mulch, stones, pavers, firewood, etc... with it. It's been a life saver with these hills. Well, as you could imagine, in just three years of that kind of use, the transmission is not happy. It's growling and refuses to climb some of the hills that it used to go up with ease. I've taken the transmission out to change the oil (there is no drain plug or replaceable filter), and what came out of the fill hole confirmed that the transmission is done. (Dark black oil with a constant stream of silver dust). I started reading up on that transmission, and it's really a disposable unit (they call it "Maintenance Free"). A replacement is $589. That's just a little less than I paid for the used tractor. If I replace it, and continue to use the machine the way we have, it's just a matter of time before it's shot again. So that revelation brought me to John Deere.

I started my quest looking for a new Lawn Tractor that was heavier duty than the Home Depot special Cub Cadet. Something that had a serviceable transmission with replaceable filter. While we're at it, 4 wheel drive would be nice because there are some slopes here that we simply can't cut with the CC. It just can't get traction. If I try to go straight up, the rear wheel (1) starts spinning and digs a hole. If I go straight down it will leave two skid marks all the way down as the rear wheel won't hook up and the tractor races to a high speed where it's not cutting the grass well. So yeah, 4 wheel drive is a must. It would also be nice if it could help with our tree work. We have a wood burning fireplace and just the trees that dies of natural causes around here keep us busy and full of firewood. So if it could help us move firewood that would be great. Oh, hey... What about the driveway... Our snow removal efforts are pretty serious in the winter. We have two snow blowers, his and hers, but since we're talking 4 wheel drive, maybe a nicer machine could help us with the snow removal. You see where this is going, right...?

So, after sliding down this slippery slope, we just ordered a 1025R with a 60" MMM deck, H-120 FEL, 54" Snow Blower attachment and R4 Turf Tires. The kid in me is really excited. The adult in me realizes that I just bought a tractor that cost more than most of the cars that I've owned. Have I lost my mind...?!? I expect to receive our new JD right around election day. I am very anxious and hope that it lives up to our expectations. If it does, I'm OK with it.

Do you guys think I made a mistake?
    Welcome to GTT Gator Bite.
    I think you are going to be pleasantly comfortable with your decision.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 674 Posts
    Do you guys think I made a mistake?
    No! You made a great choice. Welcome to GTT!
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    Great purchase. You won't regret it. Be careful on side hills if moving stuff with the loader. Look at weight options, like loading the rear tires. For the firewood you'll probably end up wanting forks. And consider a loader plow too for those quick clean ups when it isn't worth the full switch. I use my homemade loader plow more than the frame mount plow or front blower just to save switching. I use the loader to bring firewood to the house every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 669 Posts
    I think you made an excellent choice and I really doubt you will regret buying the 1025r. You are going to keep asking yourself why you waited so long to make the deal. For myself, I wished I would have bought a subcompact many years before I ever did.

Congrats on your new 1025R.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Well my response would be "not at all, you've moved up a notch or two". I don't believe you'll be sorry . . . You will be impressed with the 1025R, it's capabilities as compared to your previous machine, and you'll find many more uses for the .

Have fun, be careful . . . .
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vt2305 View Post
    Great purchase. You won't regret it. Be careful on side hills if moving stuff with the loader. Look at weight options, like loading the rear tires. For the firewood you'll probably end up wanting forks. And consider a loader plow too for those quick clean ups when it isn't worth the full switch. I use my homemade loader plow more than the frame mount plow or front blower just to save switching. I use the loader to bring firewood to the house every week.
    I was/am on the fence about the forks. At this point, it's a pretty cheap add on. I haven't signed the deal yet, so I suspect I can still add these to my build and get them in under the interest free financing. I'm having trouble imagining what I'd use them for. So, tell me how you use your forks... Pictures are even better.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    I use them for everything. My firewood is on pallets so I move a pallet up onto my deck onto dollies. Roll it right next to the door. I used the forks the other day to pick up piles of vegetation when cleaning out the garden. I used them to lift a trailer I'm painting to get it onto jack stands. Was easier than dragging out the floor jack. Moved big rocks to build a fire ring and seats. When pallets of flooring were delivered the fed ex guy was pumped to not have to unload each box. The list is endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast