Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: First tractor, 2210 with loader, how to snowblow and move wood

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks

First tractor, 2210 with loader, how to snowblow and move wood

I am purchasing a used 2210 with a 210 loader, mower deck, front 47" snowblower, weight-box, and cab with 40x hours this weekend and am pretty excited. I typically snowblow about seven driveways that typically hold 4 cars, 2x2, with my Ariens 7/24. I do this for elderly people and veterans in my neighborhood. I also heat my house with wood and my woodpile is about 80-100' from the house depending on where the stack is. I am looking for suggestions on approach to the above scenario. Do I leave the snowblower on all winter and get rear forks and pallet my wood? Trade/sell the front snowblower for a rear mounted one and get forks for the front? Some other method?

I know these tractors are limited in what they can lift at either end, and I have read some different methods of pallets, but any suggestions, especially from someone with a similarly powered tractor would be appreciated.

Currently no wheel weights or fluid filled tires. Should I do one of these? Both?
    I burn about 4 cords a year and live in Natick, MA which is about 30 minutes West of Boston (for snow/weather reference)

On a side note, I usually hear chainsaws in the area and get 3-8 log lengths of xyz usually red oak or maple put in my driveway. This coming week I have about 8 cords of log-length being cut at a neighbors house and dropped in my yard, hopefully back yard), and would love some suggestions for managing this. Front pallet forks? Grapple?

Thanks a ton! I look forward to the forum,
    Steve
    Last edited by tinkertot; 10-28-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    '03 2210 John Deere with 210 Loader, Curtis Cab w/heat, 47" snowblower, mower deck, JD ballast box, Artillian fork frame w/hitch - 36" forks - front hoe bucket. Map of Tractor Owners

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Welcome aboard Tinkertot. I applaud you for helping your neighbors out with snow removal. I'd say you'd be better off with the front mounted snowblower and using an inexpensive 3PH mounted carryall for your firewood moving duties.

For about $150 you can purchase this rear carrier frame from tractor supply: CountyLine Carry All - For Life Out Here You could put a wood deck with sides on it for a nice firewood carrier.

Chains + Fluid filled tires are always helpful with traction. Especially if you're going to be working on hilly driveways for snow duty. I'd recommend RV Antifreeze (Propylene Glycol) as it's inexpensive and good to -50˚below.

A set of forks for your front loader would be helpful for moving those log lengths. Check out Artillian's offerings as he's a GTT supporter and respected vendor. Here's the website for more info: http://www.artillian.com/

BTW, I'm in Littleton, MA and used to live down the street from you in Holliston for many years.

Last edited by Superglidesport; 10-28-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Links
    etcallhome, bob, Levi and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

tinkertot (10-28-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

IMO since you have a Front snowblower coming with the 2210 that is what I would use . There is No Way I would get rid of my front snowblower for a rear ,wouldn't matter if I was doing one driveway or the # you do. Thanks for helping the elderly and vets.

Buy a carry all for the rear and that way you could haul your firewood, just my 2 cents.

I have 50# wheel wights and for me chains on the rear wheels.

Since owning a 2210 and 2305 with the hydro fan under the tractor ,,,just beware...The blades on the fan have been know to break , and the bracket that holds the fan has been know (don't ask how I know) to fail .. the fan blade was around $35.00 the bracket about $150 just for the part.

Good luck with your new find ,ENJOY
    RandyM, Levi, MoMiner and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Do you suggest the carryall for any particular reason over some forks and reasonably stacked pallets? Ideally I'd like to handle the wood less.

Is there a skid plate of some nature that will protect the fan? Is the bracket susceptible to breaking if you hit the fan on something or just breaking in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 2210 John Deere with 210 Loader, Curtis Cab w/heat, 47" snowblower, mower deck, JD ballast box, Artillian fork frame w/hitch - 36" forks - front hoe bucket. Map of Tractor Owners

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkertot View Post
    Thanks guys. Do you suggest the carryall for any particular reason over some forks and reasonably stacked pallets? Ideally I'd like to handle the wood less.

Is there a skid plate of some nature that will protect the fan? Is the bracket susceptible to breaking if you hit the fan on something or just breaking in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rear 3PH forks will do the job as well but you will have limited lift capabilities. I believe your 3PH is limited to about 700# as opposed to the front end loader that is closer to ~ 1000#.

I've heard of fan guards being made available by third party suppliers that bolt on fairly easily.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    I think it has to do with how often you move wood. i.e.: do you want to drop the blower every time you move wood.

Congrats on the tractor and +1 for helping your neighbors!

etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Yes there is a guard being sold on ebay yrs ago.. not sure if he is still doing so.
    Reason for suggesting the rear carrier ,,you can leave the snowblower and all attachments in place ,instead of removing it just to carry in your firewood.
    I'm thinking 15-25 mins removing snowblower and installing fel . same time to remove fel and install blower. I've done it a couple times a winter, don't like to but I have , just a thought..
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Rear 3PH forks will do the job as well but you will have limited lift capabilities. I believe your 3PH is limited to about 700# as opposed to the front end loader that is closer to ~ 1000#.

I've heard of fan guards being made available by third party suppliers that bolt on fairly easily.
    They sell fan guards for the 2305 but I have not found any for the 2210.

If you handle logs and have any kind of unimproved property that you maintain then I suggest the artillian grapple. I have it on my 2210 and it is the tool I use the most. I also have artillian forks and used them a lot until I got the grapple. If the logs are an occasional task then I recommend the forks as it is a cheaper solution.

For hauling fire wood, look at a utility dump cart. You find them rated for up to 1000 lbs. I have an older one of these. The cool thing is it swivels and dumps. I have been unable to break it which is saying something.

Ohio Steel Industries

It works great for hauling wood, mulch, whatever. I paid $179 for it years ago. This might be a cheaper solution then a carryall.

I recommend getting some sort of ballast in addition to fluid in the tires or wheel weights as these tractors are fairly tippy. I have a Heavy Hitch from Heavy Hitch.com. Great product. It also serves as a receiver hitch so I can move my utility trailer around. A ballast box will work as well. If you have the money for a Imatch get one of those too. Makes life easier for any 3 pt attachments.

For the 2210 itself a word of caution. The fan blade does like to break but that is minor problem compared to the drive shaft and will not be a real issue unless you wander off into the woods or rough uncut fields. You need to make sure you keep the U joints greased. I know yours is low hours but the drive shafts like to break between 800 to 900 hours if not greased and even low hours is no guarantee. 2210's are starting to age so despite the low hours I would try and service the driveshaft in the near future. Greasing is no easy task either. It is a great tractor otherwise.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    All I can contribute is for sure keep the front mounted snowblower and forget about a rear mounted one, especially if you're doing 7 driveways.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

Pallet

I've used firewood for years by moving it on trailers, trucks etc. but am seriously thinking about getting some old fertilizer/chemical bulk tanks and just using the wire frame for firewood and moving them with a tractor. Even 700 lbs is a fair amount of firewood and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to handle things any more than I have to. I see the used bulk tanks on Craig's list for $50-$75 pretty frequently and with a little adjustment with bolt cutters, I think they would make a great firewood carrier.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast