Like Tree150Likes

Thread: ROP bar warning system

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-02-2017 @ 11:23 AM
    Thanks

Question ROP bar warning system

Hello All--

So, the wife and I recently bought (earlier this summer) a brand new 1025R with 60" mid mower, H120 FEL, and the 54" front mount snowblower.

We've been using it for a few months and love it. One problem we have is with the ROP bars extended the tractor doesn't fit into the shed door. Not really a big deal since you only need the ROP bars for the most part when using the FEL but near our septic we do have a steep incline so we tend to use the ROP bars and seat belt when mowing that area.

I knew it might happen someday. I forgot the ROP bars up while entering the shed. I was tired, it had been a long day starting at 7 AM of digging a trench, laying conduit from house to shed, fishing the 6 gauge wire (not fun), and finally backfilling. I FORGOT the ROPS! Luckily when the ROP and shed collided I knew exactly what had happened and reversed. I was in high gear but low RPM's with FEL attached and not much clearance with FEL with doors so luckily going slow and no damage to shed or tractor.

Anyway, anybody in a similar situation? If so, have you come up with a solution like an alert system?

I looked at the "off the shelf" garage parking solutions but nothing seemed to fit.

I than considered using a microcontroller / arduino that I would strap to the ROP bars with a proximity sensor (ultrasonic) and maybe a loud buzzer but the only ones up to the task (weather proof -- car bumper type ultrasound) are $100 / piece. A little to expensive for an expirement.

Has anybody tackled a similar problem? Any ideas I haven't thought of? Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks

Non electronic warning

There used to be bridges near a paper mill in our area that had I beams across the road at the same height as the bridge superstructure. Log trucks would hit those before getting to the bridge. Maybe you could have something in front of the shed as a gauge. Either that or just make a bigger door and opening on the shed.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, HydroHarold, Levi and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainegeek View Post
    Anyway, anybody in a similar situation? !

Oh, a few of us....

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ucture-up.html

Welcome to the club!

I haven't seen mention of a good + cheap solution yet.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 5 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    lol, I knew this couldn't be a new problem. I see confessions but not too many solutions. I would really like an early warning system. I think some sort of proximity buzzer would work great since we never drive into the shed at high RPM's so we should hear it. I would need 2 sensors though (front & back) since I drive forward into shed in summer and back into shed with snowblower in winter. I'm not too worried with snowblower attached since I can't have mower deck or FEL attached with front facing snowblower.

I'm still reading over that ROP foobar link, funny stuff! Glad I'm not alone and glad it took me almost 3 months to make that foobar. lol
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    I took me 2 and a half years before I finally ran into my garage door. As dad used to say "Pewp happens!"

Not sure on the proximity sensor thing. I think everyone's situation is a bit unique.

You ran into your shed going into the shed. I ran into my garage door coming out of the garage. Plus, my ROPS usually has no problem clearing the garage door. I only have issues if I don't use the automatic garage door opener. Lots of variables to consider...
    HydroHarold, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Agreed, I have a very subtle ramp going into the shed. My thought is to find an outdoor unltrasonic sensor I can hook up to an arduino programmed to set off a buzzer when the ROPS are within 5ft of an obstacle. I figure if the ROPS are folded than the sensor is facing the sky so it shouldn't see any obstacles. But you bring up a good point, in an enclosure with the ROPS folded it might still alarm on the ceiling of the enclosure. Maybe an orientation sensor could be use to ignore the proximity sensor when the ROPS are horizontal. I'm interested in bench building a prototype project box that I can than maybe attach to the ROP bars and finally find a 5v (when started) wire to tap into.

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    When I roll my tractor out of the garage, something like a cone gets set back in its parking spot. This is when the ROPS goes up. When it's time to "go to bed", the cone/box/whatever is blocking me forcing me to get off and remember to fold the ROPS.

Simple, easy, and cheap.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 12 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Troutsniffer (11-21-2016)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Just hit the top of the shed entrance a couple of times and then you will remember from now on. Took me twice with my enclosed trailer...

You just need to get a routine like Diesel Shadow does with the cone. If you never very from the routine for shutting down then you are good. Rather than go to the expense of a sensor or something, maybe you can laminate a small checklist and have it hang off the steering column. When you get done for the day just read it before you enter the shed. You could also post a warning sign on the entrance to your shed. You can get posters/signs made at Staples or Office Max.

It's a common problem to work thru. After a few times you start to remember things to do to avoid damage or feeling stupid. I only use my ROPS when I go to my property. I just make it a habit now when I load the tractor back on my trailer the ROPS goes down. Same thing when I take it off at the property, if it comes off the trailer the ROPS goes up. Life is good.
    Levi, flyweight and mainegeek like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Buchananj1956 (11-08-2016)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Just hit the top of the shed entrance a couple of times and then you will remember from now on. Took me twice with my enclosed trailer...

You just need to get a routine like Diesel Shadow does with the cone. If you never very from the routine for shutting down then you are good. Rather than go to the expense of a sensor or something, maybe you can laminate a small checklist and have it hang off the steering column. When you get done for the day just read it before you enter the shed. You could also post a warning sign on the entrance to your shed. You can get posters/signs made at Staples or Office Max.

It's a common problem to work thru. After a few times you start to remember things to do to avoid damage or feeling stupid. I only use my ROPS when I go to my property. I just make it a habit now when I load the tractor back on my trailer the ROPS goes down. Same thing when I take it off at the property, if it comes off the trailer the ROPS goes up. Life is good.
    I was thinking about something similar. How about an old time window shade or roll up map like back in school. The round spring loaded roll up kind. Mount it right over the shed or garage door opening. Write some kind of reminder phrase on it. Then put it up & down along with the roll bar as stated above. This would cost way less than any electronic device.

I think the key is making yourself get off of the tractor.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

14. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    When I roll my tractor out of the garage, something like a cone gets set back in its parking spot. This is when the ROPS goes up. When it's time to "go to bed", the cone/box/whatever is blocking me forcing me to get off and remember to fold the ROPS.

Simple, easy, and cheap.

Even better, have a cone in the bucket, as you back out dump the cone. You'll need to stop to put the cone back in the bucket before pulling in.
    Boy, we're just smart fellas.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast