Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: New Owner First Weekend, First Impressions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks

New Owner First Weekend, First Impressions

We received our new 1025R last Friday, which meant I got to have some fun this weekend. This is all new to me. I've never owned a machine like this so there was a lot of discovery. I thought other potential buyers might like to hear my impressions (I know I would have liked to read something like this when I was kicking tires).

So here's the new addition:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5595_1_.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	263993

1025R with H-120 Front End Loader (FEL), 60" Mid Mount Mower Deck (MMM), Ballast Box and (not shown) 54" Snow Blower Attachment. The tractor arrived Friday night around 4:00 pm. We were having dinner guests, so that didn't leave a lot of time to play. I spent an hour playing, then put it where you see it there, next to the wife's car.

Saturday morning after some family duties (made breakfast for my son and is guests), I made my way down stairs to play. I decided to take the side cover off to explore the PTO switch. I had already ordered the LVA11189 switch and was wondering how hard or easy it would be to install it. The next thing I knew, the wife is saying, "What did you do...? We haven't had the thing one day and it's all apart..!" Uh yeah, one thing lead to another. Before I knew it, I had the thing in pieces. Side panels, steering wheel, center console, it was all out. That PTO switch is NOT easy to access, so I removed the whole panel. That gave me the opportunity to do a really nice job. I stripped the red and orange wires in the harness under the loom, soldered two wires, taped and replaced the loom. I made a nice new loomed harness to run to my switch. Now I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures. It came our really nice. Factory clean with only this visible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	264001

Those with an observant eye will notice that while I had that panel off, I also added a 1 axis waterproof joystick switch below the turn signal switch. At this time it does nothing. It will later later be used to control the Chute Actuator on my Snow Blower attachment. More on this another time.

After my tampering, I decided to drop the FEL and Ballast Box to try the MMM. The grass was a little long, but probably done growing for the year. I'm coming from a 24 horsepower Cub Cadet riding lawn tractor. Right away I noticed that the 1025R feels like a luxury ride in comparison to the Cub Cadet. The suspension seat, the rock solid feel, the power steering and even the engine sound. The 1025 is like a tank. I think it's actually quieter than the gas powered v-twin Kohler in the CC, and it's all together different.

My property has many hills, which is good. I learned to negotiate them on the CC and I was worried that the higher heavier JD would feel less stable. It did not. In fact, I think it may feel more stable. I will need more time with it. I'm still learning what I can and can't get away with there and I will proceed with extreme caution. The first hill I climbed, up onto our front yard, the JD climbed effortlessly. I didn't need 4WD or differential lock. It did just find without. But... My mower deck, set to medium, completely scalped the lawn. It appears it hasn't been set up correctly. I moved it to the highest usable setting, and even there it scalped the grass in a few places. I'm not going to hold this against it. I realize it's part bad setup and part learning curve.

The next day, I saw my neighbor shoveling mulch into his wheel barrel. I went right over and offered my help. He had a good 3 cubic yards to move. This gave me a chance to play with the FEL.

Here are some of the lessons I learned in my first weekend:
    • This thing can climb and descend up and down some serious slopes with ease.
    • If you try to climb a hill in 2wd and you spin a tire, it's going to do some serious damage to the grass. Use 4wd when in doubt.
    • You can get away with wide turns in 4wd without turf damage, but tight turns, uh yeah... Not so good.
    • This machine will roll down hills even if you let off of the hydro stat pedals. Unlike my CC, the brake pedal is a necessity. This is especially true when in High Range. In Low Range, the brake is much less necessary.
    • The FEL control can be very sensitive. It's going to take time to get a feel for it. I suddenly have huge respect for machine operators who make it look so easy. I look forward to developing that skill.
    • The iMatch is a must have option. I've taken the Ballast Box off and on a bunch of times, and although it's not a huge pain in the neck, it's not simple. (I actually ordered my machine with an iMatch, it just hasn't come in yet and I told them to deliver the tractor without it. I can handle the install when it comes in.)
    • When I was researching, I saw a video touting the benefits of the "Polymer" hood against the metal hood of the competitors. I didn't pay any attention to it or place any value in it. Well, while shaking the bucket to drop some mulch out of the over full bucket, some mulch dropped back onto the hood. No big deal, but if I was moving gravel, that would have been a different story. I can now see the value in the plastic hood.
    • While shopping, I wondered if the Tilt Steering wheel on the R was really a big deal over the fixed wheel on the E. I test drove the E and it felt really good. But, I've come to learn that the tilt wheel is really very nice for clearing the way to get on and off the tractor.

Those are some of my first impressions and lessons. There is so much more to learn and I look forward to discovering more about the machine. My only big regret right now is that I bough it so late in the season. Summer is over and winter is coming... We will do most of our learning with the Snow Blower.

Here's a short shot of the wife taking her first ride on the new addition....

RandyM, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 25 others like this.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gator Bite For This Useful Post:

BetterThanATonka (11-08-2016), Gizmo2 (11-07-2016), Levi (11-07-2016), mrunion (11-09-2016), Traderdell (11-17-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    What a fantastic post.

Thank you!
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere but what was the reason for having to replace the PTO switch on a new tractor?
    Levi likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Nice looking tractor. How do ypu keep your garage so clean?? Great post if you need to set up mower there are several threads here to do it. I was fortunate mine was set up great. good luck enjoy it
    Levi likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Apologies if I missed it somewhere but what was the reason for having to replace the PTO switch on a new tractor?
    The new 1025Rs come with an RIO (Reverse Implement Option) safety. With this safety, if you press the "Reverse" pedal while the Mid PTO is on, the tractor shuts right down unless you first pull and hold the PTO switch up before backing up. I'm all for safety, but this is going to be a major pain in the neck with the Snow Blower on there. So I installed a factory switch that will allow us to disable the safety at will. Pop the switch the other way and the RIO safety is back.
    Levi, ilmo, flyweight and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    Looks like ya'll are still young, that's a good thing. This machine will save BOTH of you from many a laborious task, allowing your backs and knees to enjoy life a lot longer.
    Congrats on the purchase.
    Levi and flyweight like this.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    The new 1025Rs come with an RIO (Reverse Implement Option) safety. With this safety, if you press the "Reverse" pedal while the Mid PTO is on, the tractor shuts right down unless you first pull and hold the PTO switch up before backing up. I'm all for safety, but this is going to be a major pain in the neck with the Snow Blower on there. So I installed a factory switch that will allow us to disable the safety at will. Pop the switch the other way and the RIO safety is back.
    Ah yes... very familiar with it. I had it jumpered out on my X500 rider after the 1st mow session. No need to ever re-enable it.BTW... I thought the front-mount snow blowers had some kind of sensor when installed on the 1-series to disable the RIO?
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought so too. There is a hall affect sensor. When I tested my new setup the engine stopped as soon as I hit the back pedal. I asked them about it, thinking the sensor was suppose to let the system know it's a front PTO. They told me that the sensor is just used to display the PTO speed in the cluster.
    Drifterbike likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Good post. Thanks for sharing.
    LoneStranger likes this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    I thought so too. There is a hall affect sensor. When I tested my new setup the engine stopped as soon as I hit the back pedal. I asked them about it, thinking the sensor was suppose to let the system know it's a front PTO. They told me that the sensor is just used to display the PTO speed in the cluster.
    Mine did the same thing at first. You have to adjust it closer and then it will work. Of course, bypassing for mowing too is the best of both worlds.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    ----
    1025R, H120 Loader, 60D mmm, RC2048 rotary cutter, 54" snowblower, iMatch, ballast box

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast