New member and have some questions regarding the 1025R and the 260 BH.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: New member and have some questions regarding the 1025R and the 260 BH.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks

New member and have some questions regarding the 1025R and the 260 BH.

Hello,

Just joined this group and have been reading some of the posts. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1025R TLB with MMM and a box blade. I'm just not sure if the backhoe will do some of the work I have planned. We have a few hundred old Oak trees and from time to time it will be necessary to dig out a stump. Is the backhoe attachment robust enough to dig up a decent size stump? I've seen several videos and most of the work I have seen has been in areas that have fairly soft soil. We live on 10 acres in the foothills of the Sierras of central California and the ground here gets hard as a rock in the summer months. Other uses will be mowing about 4 acres in the "green" time of year, trenching fairly long runs up to the back of the property, a little grading work and just miscellaneous other tasks around the place. As an old retired fart ease of use is also an issue, so naturally the ease of installing and removing implements and attachments is a big deal to me and JD seems to have the market cornered in that area. Right now the dealer has some very good pricing and the time is right.

I have an older JD401C that is just not right for me because the FEL does not come off and it can be a pain in the backside to work in tight spaces. Like I said we have lots of trees. Also as someone who is not a very experienced equipment operator I feel more comfortable on a smaller unit. (Part of the property is a little hilly.)

Have any of you made the purchase then just wished you'd gone another route?

Thanks for your time and help

Steve
    Koldern likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    From what you explain I would suggest you look at a 2 or 3 series. Deere is coming out with a new revamped 2 series which should be available next spring.
    Marlin and johnH123 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have to say, I too wonder if the backhoe would be up to the hard pan that we have here in Oxford CT. The ground here is like concrete and it's laced with stones. Is an H260 up to that task?
    Marlin likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

The one series is very capable, but limited. They absolutely will be able to pull stumps with the backhoe, but the bigger the stump, the more patience you'll need. Eventually you'll find a size (and that size is relative to your situation) that really isn't practical for a one series. There are tons of owners here who have dug/removed many a stump with a one series.

BTW, I edited the title to highlight what your questions were about. That'll help attract more responses.
    Gizmo2, Caper, HydroHarold and 4 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks

Depends

on the size and depth of the stumps. But in general "yes" it will do the job. You will not get the stumps out lickity split but they will come out with the BH. You may have to manually cut some of the larger roots.

So you can get the tractor and be willing to take the time to dig up the stump or use dynamite..

Oh and:

Steve
    Levi likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deere Ol Man For This Useful Post:

Buchananj1956 (11-13-2016)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    Welcome to GTT. As a non backhoe owner, I will let others answer that. I will say ease of implement switching is just that, easy. I remove my MMM every week after mowing because I can have it off in 3 minutes and back on in 5, and my MMM is NOT Autoconnect. Also the 1 series is a good mowing machine, IMHO. Have fun shopping
    RandyM, HydroHarold and Levi like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 1025r TLB. I live in SE Idaho but am quite familiar with some of the Sierra dirt from Lincoln south to Copperopolis.
    Those big oaks up by Ione are tough for for a Case 580 BUT as others have pointed out you can dig out some substantial stumps with a 1 Series BH and a LOT OF PATIENCE.
    There have been a few times where it made it a lot easier for me to wet the clay down the day before.
    I have dug some decent stumps with mine by taking my time. I have never been sorry I bought the 1 Series with BH but I only have 2¼ acres and use the tractor a lot inside the barn so bigger wouldn't work for me. I still have a LARGE old cottonwood to take out and if it turns out to be too much to be practical, I will just borrow something bigger.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies

Thanks to you all for the quick responses, I'm feeling pretty good about the choice and think I'll probably end up going with the 1026. As far as time goes, I've got plenty of that being retired. Never in a hurry about anything these days. I just work until I don't feel like any longer then get back to it when I do feel like it again.

Steve

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 260 BH on a 1026R (predecessor to the 1025R) and have dug out several stumps with it. I'd say the largest one was about 18" diameter cherry. As others have said, patience is needed, and I would suggest a ripper tooth to get in between the roots, at least to expose them for easier cutting with an axe or chainsaw. The ripper tooth also allows you to cut through thicker roots than the bucket, as the BH bucket is too wide to really get in and loosen the dirt around them and grab single roots. You will also have to reposition many times to get the right angle between the roots if they are too large to cut with the bucket or ripper tooth.

I find that an old axe used to cut through the larger roots, after exposed, then use the BH to tear them out of the ground works for me. And as you always encounter rocks around the roots, sharpening an old axe is easier than re-sharpening a chainsaw chain. After the majority of the larger roots are cut, you can them begin to shake the stump until you can push it over and finally out.

The series 1 is a small machine, and my only "regret" during stump removal is not having a larger tractor/BH. Don't get me wrong, I really like my 1026R, and my tight quarters and small yard really doesn't justify a larger tractor. It may take longer, but it can and will do the job. It sure beats digging stumps by hand ... which I have done many before my tractor.

Good luck on your search, that's my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I've removed alot of stumps with my 260. With that said, you won't win any races and must have patience. Sometimes it takes me hours to do anything larger then 10-12" diameter. And if it's one of those trees where the main root goes straight down, good luck. I will eventually have a bigger machine or rent one, because I always have stumps to remove. I have about 15 waiting right now but we are having some construction work done very shortly and the site prep guy is going to leave his mini excavator for me to use which will make short work of those 15 in a couple hours.
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    2012 1026R TLB - 60D 7 Iron MMM Auto connect w/ hyd lift - H120 w/ 53" FEL - 260BH w/ 12" Bucket - JD Aux Lights - R4's - Block heater - Artillian 36" JDQA Forks - Ken's Hooks - Piranha Tooth bar - Upgraded seat springs from psrumors

2013 Laramie Ram Power Wagon w/ Western 8.5' ProPlus plow
    2008 Dodge Avenger R/T Chrysler 200,000 Mile Club
    '16 Polaris Sportsman Touring 1000 XP
    '03 Kawasaki Prairie 650

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast