Dual batteries on 1025R?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Dual batteries on 1025R?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 06:37 AM
    Location
    Nanjemoy, Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Dual batteries on 1025R?

    Has anyone added a battery to a 1025 or similar? I run some LED lights to work in the yard. I leave the tractor running when I would rather not to keep the battery from getting drained. I'm pulling around 70 watts (probably more) with everything on. I'd like to route my external lights to a deep-discharge battery and not wear on my tractor one. The lights are set up to just plug into the power outlet but I'd add a couple lights and a nicer switch if I add another battery. I could potentially run the lights for several hours.

    Thanks, Tom

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,722
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it or go to the trouble of adding a second battery. IF you have a problem and I don't think you will, you could think about replacing the original battery with a larger capacity or deep cycle unit.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Posts
    1,030
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 168 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdf2016 View Post
    Has anyone added a battery to a 1025 or similar? I run some LED lights to work in the yard. I leave the tractor running when I would rather not to keep the battery from getting drained. I'm pulling around 70 watts (probably more) with everything on. I'd like to route my external lights to a deep-discharge battery and not wear on my tractor one. The lights are set up to just plug into the power outlet but I'd add a couple lights and a nicer switch if I add another battery. I could potentially run the lights for several hours.

    Thanks, Tom
    I would think you would have two problems to deal with. Location and charging issues. The charging system on these tractors, while stout for the tractor, is not that large of capacity. I would check your LED lights and see exactly what amps you are pulling. Now days these LED lights at 70W is very little. Even if you are using standard lights at 70W you are pulling 5.833amps. Your system is more than capable of handling that.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 5 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,155
    Thanks
    1,427
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    John Deere does offer a larger alternator for the 1 series for those running extra items, which it would seem might be necessary if you were to be charging dual 12 volt batteries, but the cost of the up charge is around $400 if I recall correctly. Being a diesel, I just let mine idle and with 2,600 hours on it, it is doing just fine. These small Yanmar's are so incredibly fuel efficient that even at operating RPM's, I only use about 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour or less.

    I wouldn't worry about letting the tractor idle. With the cooling system and the way they are built, they can run all day and not be a problem. I find that once I start mine, I will idle it down and let it run even when I am off it doing something else for several minutes. I also agree that finding a place for the battery would be an issue.

    I have run multiple batteries on numerous things including my boats, race cars, my 4x4's and motor coaches. But those were because of significant extra battery demand like for the winch, starting a 1,600hp high compression engine or extensive 12 volt systems with the power being converted to 110 for appliances, etc.

    I agree with SGS's comment about either upgrading the battery or going to a Deep Cycle unit. Just be aware that the diesel vibration will damage the plate style batteries if they are not designed to accommodate the shaking, etc. I learned after a few battery replacements that the right battery application for these tractors needs to recognize their unique use environment with the vibration and other demands.

    By the way, Welcome to the GTT forum.....
    RandyM, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    11-04-2018 @ 06:37 AM
    Location
    Nanjemoy, Maryland
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    ... I would check your LED lights and see exactly what amps you are pulling. Now days these LED lights at 70W is very little. Even if you are using standard lights at 70W you are pulling 5.833amps. Your system is more than capable of handling that.
    The LEDs are 27 watts a piece giving me about 5 AMPs. That's where the 12-volt power usually wants to stay under. Add the headlights and JD work lights and ... I don't know what those draw. They tend to get blocked by the loader so I usually turn them off.

    I don't worry about hurting the tractor idling it - I just don't want to put on 1,000 hours while I'm running around the yard.

    TF

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,279
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 174 Times in 161 Posts
    JD has a lighting kit option for these tractors, are the LED's you want to add in addition to those?

    The only place I could think (without turning this into a design exercise) of adding an extra battery is up front. You would have to build a tray that mounts externally. You would have to make sure it clears the loader and doesn't get damaged since it is hanging off the front. You would have to hook it up in series so you maintain the 12volt system. One other possible place might be to mount it on the side of the seat/fender pan on one of the fenders but then the cables are liable to be an issue and you are sitting next to a battery, which if it explodes could put acid all over you.

    I believe JD's standard alternator rating is 20 amps and then the upgraded one is 37, at least that is what my 2210 is like and it is two generations older than a 1 series so maybe the optional alternator puts out more power but I doubt it.

    Like others have said, I do not think another battery is required. You might be better served getting an upgraded alternator to make up for the extra power draw.

    However, if an extra battery is the way you want to go, a cheap home made solution, might be to mount a tray (like a Big Tool Rack) on the 3 point receiver hitch (assuming you have one) and placing the battery on it and then rigging to power your lights separate from the on board charging system. This will allow you to remove it when you do not need to use it and saves you the hassle of modifying your tractor extensively. The only kicker is you have to get your battery charged by a charger not the tractor.

    I use something very similar to this when I want to mount my battery powered sprayer on my tractor because I can't afford a Big Tool Rack: Traveller Trailer Heavy-Duty Hitch Packer, 20 in. x 60 in. - For Life Out Here

    It works well for what I use it for. A Big Tool Rack is a way better designed rack though.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.

  9. Top | #7
    John Deere 1025R TLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Location
    Scranton, PA Area
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 169 Times in 157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    JD has a lighting kit option for these tractors, are the LED's you want to add in addition to those?

    The only place I could think (without turning this into a design exercise) of adding an extra battery is up front. You would have to build a tray that mounts externally. You would have to make sure it clears the loader and doesn't get damaged since it is hanging off the front. You would have to hook it up in series so you maintain the 12volt system. One other possible place might be to mount it on the side of the seat/fender pan on one of the fenders but then the cables are liable to be an issue and you are sitting next to a battery, which if it explodes could put acid all over you.

    I believe JD's standard alternator rating is 20 amps and then the upgraded one is 37, at least that is what my 2210 is like and it is two generations older than a 1 series so maybe the optional alternator puts out more power but I doubt it.

    Like others have said, I do not think another battery is required. You might be better served getting an upgraded alternator to make up for the extra power draw.

    However, if an extra battery is the way you want to go, a cheap home made solution, might be to mount a tray (like a Big Tool Rack) on the 3 point receiver hitch (assuming you have one) and placing the battery on it and then rigging to power your lights separate from the on board charging system. This will allow you to remove it when you do not need to use it and saves you the hassle of modifying your tractor extensively. The only kicker is you have to get your battery charged by a charger not the tractor.

    I use something very similar to this when I want to mount my battery powered sprayer on my tractor because I can't afford a Big Tool Rack: Traveller Trailer Heavy-Duty Hitch Packer, 20 in. x 60 in. - For Life Out Here

    It works well for what I use it for. A Big Tool Rack is a way better designed rack though.
    If this is a 1 Series I believe my alternator is 40 amps.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

  10. Top | #8
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:48 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 558 Times in 336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    If this is a 1 Series I believe my alternator is 40 amps.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Agreed, the 1 series has a 40 amp alternator on it.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  11. Top | #9
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:48 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 558 Times in 336 Posts
    Honestly, it would be easier to mount a small generator with battery charging capabilities FREE SHIPPING — Generac iX Series Portable Inverter Generator — 2200 Surge Watts, 2000 Rated Watts, 127cc OHV Engine, Model# 6719 | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment on a 3 point carry all CountyLine Carry All - For Life Out Here or other rear mount device and simply connect the leads to the tractor battery to keep it charged rather than installing a second battery.
    As others have said, there just isn't enough extra space on these tractors to install a second battery, make it look good and protected.

    Not to mention you would have to parallel connect the deep cycle battery with the OEM battery so the alternator will charge both batteries when the engine is charging. Then, when the engine is not running, you would have to have a high amperage solenoid disconnect or manual battery disconnect to isolate the batteries from each other so the lights would not pull current from the deep cycle and tractor battery when used with the engine not running. If you do not disconnect the batteries from each other when using the lights without the engine running, both batteries will be drawn dead.

    The size of the alternator on the tractor is 40 amp, maximum output. this alternator will charge both batteries, although, not quickly. And if you are using the tractor with the lights on, the batteries will be charged slower yet. Increasing the size of the alternator should not be done unless you also increase the size of the charging wire from the alternator.

    Bottom line, adding another battery can cause you more trouble than what it is worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Work light diagram w-sec bat.jpg  
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  12. Top | #10
    KE8LW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 04:26 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
    An option you may want to look into is a RED TOP OPTIMA battery - Years ago when I worked in a Ford dealership and the cop cars had these because of the reserve capacity and the CCA. Problem is I think they can be pricey and not made directly for a tractor. You'd have to get the size and polarity you need.

    Couple things to think about:

    A tractor/Truck/car starting/ charging battery is designed to provide a large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting.

    A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. So a true deep cycle wouldn't be real good for a normal starting battery.

    A car battery typically has two ratings:

    •CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce.
    RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts

    Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    - Mike Bell
    2016 - 3039r Factory cab - 84" Woods box blade , 61" FEL - I-match - 2" Receiver - loaded rear AG (R-1) tires - 59" snow blower- 48" pallet forks - 84" Power angle rear blade
    2014 - 1025r TLB
    60" auto mowing deck, titan pallet forks, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, v bar tire chains, 3 Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks and 3 attaching clevis.
    1967 round fender 110 with snow blade ( restoration in progress)
    1965 round fender 110

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •