1025R ROPS Blues.... can you guess where this is going?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: 1025R ROPS Blues.... can you guess where this is going?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks

Angry 1025R ROPS Blues.... can you guess where this is going?

So, I successfully installed my 47" JD Snowblower assembly today. Thought it would be a good idea to put the ROPS in the upright position and get a good photo of the unit in all it's glory with the snowblower and ballast box on - ready for winter.

You guessed it ..... forgot to lower the ROPS and drove the tractor back into the polebarn to make sure it would fit with all the extended implements attached and 'C-R-E-A-K, G-R-O-A-N, S-C-R-A-P-E.'

I stopped immediately, thinking I was dragging my ballast box on the cement or something, and then saw that I had wedged the ROPS under the aluminum jam facia up above. Thank God I was just creeping into the garage...no structural damage.... just scuffed up and slightly bent the underside of the garage door jam fascia and scraped a teeny amount of black paint off of one corner edge of my ROPS.

Superficial.... but anybody knows me knows I will be thinking about this until I repair it to perfection.... you might as well have broken both my legs. Mr OCD here. Ugh !!!

Is it really necessary for the ROPS to be so friggin' tall?? I notice that the Kubota equivelent is not so tall and from what I hear, it will fit into a standard garage door. Maybe it's a safety thing.... but I bet you 8 out of 10 people keep their ROPS folded in half so they can get into and out of their garage. Damnit!
    Last edited by JoeFriday1979; 11-29-2016 at 02:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    When my 1025R came in August the rops was up. When we put it in garage hat day we lowered it to Half staff, after crackin my head 3-4 time I lowered all the way down. I even zip tided it so it would not rattle.Last weekend my son and i set it up for winter and raised it back up and measured it with the door. I figure i need 2" to get in door. If Deere made them to fit the 7ft doors they would get used alot more.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gbnpp05 For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (11-29-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gbnpp05 View Post
    I almost have to laugh at my stupidity.... I TOLD MYSELF...... "Self, do not be an idiot and forget that the ROPS is up." I never listen... not even to myself.
    RandyM, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 8 others like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    I never understood why Deere doesn't make it a priority to see that these tractors fit under a residential garage door, since that's where the majority of them will end up being stored. And it's about as bad when the ROPS is lowered to half-staff, makes it exactly the right height to give you a concussion when you walk into it.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,440 Posts
    I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if there is not a standard that keeps the operator in a triangle of safety, if you will, in the event of a rollover. The organization used to be ASAE (American Society of Agricultural Engineers), but I believe that it is now merged with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).

Maybe if Kennyd sees this, he can help me out.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (11-30-2016)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if there is not a standard that keeps the operator in a triangle of safety, if you will, in the event of a rollover. The organization used to be ASAE (American Society of Agricultural Engineers), but I believe that it is now merged with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).

Maybe if Kennyd sees this, he can help me out.
    I think you are 100% correct Don, here are some pics I've saved over the years (sorry I can't remember who they came from to give credit):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rops.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	273249

Name:	Triangle of safety.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	273257

One other issue is that if you have a backhoe-you'd hit you head on the ROPS if it was shorter.
    RandyM, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 7 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (11-29-2016), Gizmo2 (11-30-2016)

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you can take two or three inches off the ROPS and still have no issues with backhoe use.

I suspect that the height of the ROPS is set by way of establishing a protected zone with the tractor configured in it's simplest form. That is, without a front brush guard. If the front brush guard was standard equipment I'd bet that the ROPS would be a few inches shorter.
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I think you are 100% correct Don, here are some pics I've saved over the years (sorry I can't remember who they came from to give credit):

Name:	Rops.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	273249

Name:	Triangle of safety.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	273257

One other issue is that if you have a backhoe-you'd hit you head on the ROPS if it was shorter.
    Wrong, I'm 5' 11" ,lowered the top section of my ROPS by 6 maybe 8 inches. Have never hit my head on the ROPS
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    They might as well put a cage around the driver. Not as much as the pulling guys but something like a 4 point. Rented a Kabota B21 that had something similar. Also had a built in roof with 4 work lights. That all sat on 4 uprights. Not sure if it will fit under a standard garage door.

Sorry for twisting everyone's neck. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0422.jpg  
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 11-29-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast