Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2305 issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-10-2019 @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks

2305 issues

Hi guys-
    I have been doing alot of research lately; I am seriously considering a 2305 closeout at my local JD dealer. Main functions would be tilling our garden, loader work, and snowblowing in winter. I have done alot of reading and by and large it looks as if there are only positive reviews, however, I have heard mention of a fan that cools the transmission that several people mention disliking. Is it just a dislike or have there been real cases of transmission issues with this model?
    thanks in advance for replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Welcome to DT JDF

There have been real issues with the fans...Mostly from operating in tall grass/brush/sticks that get under the machine. It happens to most when they are brush-hogging for example, or running through the woods.

With the jobs you listed, you should have no problems with the fan...but you can get a skid plate if you feel the need.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    A big WELCOME from me as well. JDF, Kenny has your answer well covered. I do own a 2305 and the only issues that I have heard of are the fan exposer and the early models with PTO damage when suddenly jammed to a stop. The 2305 is a good machine and will serve you well for the tasks you have listed. We will need pictures though to keep you in good standing on the forum.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses and the welcomes too, guys. Randy, when you say some of the earlier 2305's had PTO issues, for which model years? I am also looking at a 2305 at a JD dealer near my Dad's place that is used....cannot recall the year of the machine right now, but if it is of a model year that had the PTO issues, I may stay away.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfun View Post
    Thanks for the responses and the welcomes too, guys. Randy, when you say some of the earlier 2305's had PTO issues, for which model years? I am also looking at a 2305 at a JD dealer near my Dad's place that is used....cannot recall the year of the machine right now, but if it is of a model year that had the PTO issues, I may stay away.
    I am not sure where the model modification occured, I believe in 09. But don't quote me on any of this, strictly rumor that any changes actually took place. Personally, I think you will be just fine if you use a slip clutch or shear pin for tilling and brush cutting. To my knowledge it only happened when this was not practiced and then a jam occured completely stalling out the tractor. The PTO case completely let go and a big mess. It is not my intent to scare away from the 2305, rather let know the importance of sound equipment practices. I have attatched some reference info. so you can decide for yourself.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...ower-take.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...t-tractor.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...an-shield.html

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Randy, I also believe some of those problem where from PTO shafts that where to long, and put pressure the stub shaft when the implement was fully raised.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Randy, I also believe some of those problem where from PTO shafts that where to long, and put pressure the stub shaft when the implement was fully raised.
    Thanks Kenny, that is another very good point. PTO drive shafts must absolutely be the proper length.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfun View Post
    So JDF, what's the verdict? I really don't think you can go wrong on the 2305. You do know the replacement series is all a buzz and should be out soon?

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    So JDF, what's the verdict? I really don't think you can go wrong on the 2305. You do know the replacement series is all a buzz and should be out soon?
    I'm torn! Some of the information I got from you regarding the PTO issues on the 2305 has me a little concerned, as I intend to have several implements that are rear-PTO powered. To be honest, after looking at both the 2305 and the 2320 at my local JD dealer, I am really heavily leaning toward the 2320 at this point. When you look at the 2 side-by-side, the 2320 definitely has a "beefier" transmission/frame/3point, etc.

That being said, however, the 2320 is a littler larger size-wise than I was originally thinking (but probably not that much), as my wife does have some smaller gardens and places in the yard that are closer-quarters in which I would like to be able to get the tractor.

I have also been very closely watching the release details and information surrounding the new 1023E and 1026R tractors....trying to find information on these units is what actually led me to this site in the first place. I would really like to get a look at these too before I make a purchase, which is why I think I may hold off until I can look at them and "kick the tires".

This has been a long process for me as I was looking at alot of different options ranging in size from the x500, x700, 2xxx, and 3xxx series. I can say that I have definitely decided upon a SCUT/CUT platform, rather than a larger lawn/garden tractor platform....the primary deciding factor of which is the fact that once you buy a SCUT/CUT, you can "grow into" it, meaning of course that you can buy the unit, then buy loaders, snowblowers, plus any category 1 implement you can think of. It seemed to me once you buy an x500/x700 your options in this regard were much more limited. I have also narrowed down further to a 1xxx/2xxx series, from a 3xxx series, due to the size concerns listed above.

A long answer to a short question, I know, but just wanted to share a little of where I was coming from in terms of making my selection. I genuinely appreciate the feedback I have received from you and other members of the board...I'll keep you posted as to the decision.

-thanks
    JDF

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Whatever happens, Good luck making a decision! I dont think you'll regret it whichever way you go.
    If "Growing into it" is something your factoring in heavily, I think I'd definetly steer you towards a 2320..You mentioned 98% of the factors of why I'd choose a 2320... I'm just thinking that for what you described, yeah a 2305 or the 1R would fit the bill, but it would be sized correctly NOW with not much room to grow so to speak.
    There arent too many people who wish they would have gotten a smaller machine...I'd err on the side of caution aka: larger machine.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast