Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Coolant Leakage on 1026r after replacing coolant

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks

Coolant Leakage on 1026r after replacing coolant

I may be a little premature in writing this up given I haven't done a lot of my own research yet but thought I would get some insight before I go on the hunt.

I recently replaced the coolant in my 1026. It was long overdue for replacement. I think it was back in October when I did it.
    All seemed to go quite well, or so I thought.

I refilled with the 50/50 mix from JD. When radiator was full I filled the reservoir up to the low level mark (I think thats what the marking is). See, I'm at work right now so I don't have access to my tractor.

Anyways, since doing the radiator flush, the tractor has had little use (in between mowing season and plowing season)

However, after the next few light uses I noticed a small amount of coolant under the tractor. Looked around a bit but couldn't really tell where it had come from. I had guessed at that time it may have come from the overflow tube from reservoir. I did check the radiator plug and it was tight. After doing some simple checks I kind of wrote it off as an overflow issue.

Since then I've had it out a few times plowing and just last nite noticed another fairly larger pool of what appears to be coolant under the tractor (noticed it after having sat for about a week or so).
    I didn't notice any overheating with the tractor back at its last use but then again probably didn't pay real close attention either.

I'm a little concerned but am thinking this has got to be related to me having replaced the coolant (too coincidental that I had never seen coolant leakage and then start seeing it shortly after replacing it).

For now I'm guessing it may be coming out of the reservoir overflow but not sure why that would be the case given it seems far from overfilled when looking at the level in the reservoir.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether the o-ring may have come off the radiator plug before I put it back in. I doubt that is it because I'm usually pretty anal about stuff like that. Even a bit OCD sometimes in that I'll pull it back out to double check.

I'm going to poke around in more depth this weekend but thought I would see what others might think on this or possibly whether others may have had a similar issue.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    54D Mowing Deck w/Auto Connect
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    47" QH Snowblower w/linear actuator
    54" QH Blade w/Artillian Rubber Edge
    Heavy Hitch Bracket w/receiver & cart
    HH Quick attach Front Weight Bracket
    Lawn sweeper (left over from 420)
    Dump Cart (left over from 420)
    Loaded Turf Tires with Wheel Weights & Chains
    Most important item - Tech Manual
    Previously, 26yr owner of JD 420 w/mowing deck, & blade
    Tech Manual for 420

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Craig,

You need to determine where it is leaking, until then we are all guessing. Also, don't assume that the problem is related to your service work, that can lead you down the wrong path, experience talking here. Sometimes these things are just coincidences. I am not saying to not rule it out completely, but don't be so sure. One thing for sure is you have to define where the leak is coming from first and sometimes it takes a little time and patience. Good luck.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, 56FordGuy and 4 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-16-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    I had a similar issue with mine. I had to trace back the Overflow tube back to the reservoir just to make sure, and it was the issue. After quite a few heat/Cool cycles, it eventually stopped. Seems mine wanted to find it's own level it felt comfortable with.
    pcabe5 and romcjr like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseMouse For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-16-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    I had a similar issue with mine. I had to trace back the Overflow tube back to the reservoir just to make sure, and it was the issue. After quite a few heat/Cool cycles, it eventually stopped. Seems mine wanted to find it's own level it felt comfortable with.
    Thanks for your info HouseMouse. I know I need to trace back to see where the leak is coming from but I was hoping to see a reply exactly as yours. I'm guessing the same is going on with mine but I'll scope it out this weekend to see for sure. Just good to hear that someone else had a similar issue and it just had to find its own level.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    Tech Manual for 420

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlumbra View Post
    Thanks for your info HouseMouse. I know I need to trace back to see where the leak is coming from but I was hoping to see a reply exactly as yours. I'm guessing the same is going on with mine but I'll scope it out this weekend to see for sure. Just good to hear that someone else had a similar issue and it just had to find its own level.

There are two hoses co-mingled near the Right Front Axel... just forward(?) I forget at the moment. One is the hose that comes off the radiator Pet Cock.. (Can we still say that?), and the other is from the Over Flow tank itself. You need to crawl under and visually verify which one is at issue. Do not guess a s I did. Then trace it back. Drove me nuts till I crawled under and looked for it. The Overflow hose is hard to find so to speak as the Radiator drain was out in the open and EZ to spot. A large inspection mirror may help. Again, these two hoses intertwine inside the Engine compartment, so hand trace them back to the end.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseMouse For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-16-2016)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    There are two hoses co-mingled near the Right Front Axel... just forward(?) I forget at the moment. One is the hose that comes off the radiator Pet Cock.. (Can we still say that?), and the other is from the Over Flow tank itself. You need to crawl under and visually verify which one is at issue. Do not guess a s I did. Then trace it back. Drove me nuts till I crawled under and looked for it. The Overflow hose is hard to find so to speak as the Radiator drain was out in the open and EZ to spot. A large inspection mirror may help. Again, these two hoses intertwine inside the Engine compartment, so hand trace them back to the end.
    Thanks again. I think I've seen both hoses down there when I did my flush a few months back. Funny you mention getting a mirror to scope that out. I've been toying with getting this new toy although it likely wouldn't be here in time for this weekend but this might be a good reason for me to purchase. Mostly looking at this item for my work environment but thinking there are times that this would come in handy at home too. A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LNSYUBC...4WTKXFSS&psc=1
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    Craig

John Deere 1026R - 2012
    H120 FEL w/KBOH
    Tech Manual for 420

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,250 Posts
    A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

Finding the coolant leak with a camera like this can be very difficult and frustrating. They can be helpful for looking into specific hidden areas but trying to do a general inspection with one will drive you crazy. You would be much better off with dye and a UV light.

I recommend you first crawl under the tractor with a good flashlight and localize the area of the leak. If it is leaking as much as you describe it should be easy to localize.
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-16-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    RandyM and pcabe5 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    cwlumbra, Check all the hose clamps while you're looking around.
    I had a similar problem with our 2320, turned out to be the water pump gasket.
    RandyM and pcabe5 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-17-2016)

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I think I've seen both hoses down there when I did my flush a few months back. Funny you mention getting a mirror to scope that out. I've been toying with getting this new toy although it likely wouldn't be here in time for this weekend but this might be a good reason for me to purchase. Mostly looking at this item for my work environment but thinking there are times that this would come in handy at home too. A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

If i had that 16.5 foot scope i could hav avoided the colon scope i just had, I could have saved 300$
    Gizmo2, BigJim55, romcjr and 1 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    If the overflow keeps burping it's most likely a bad radiator cap. You can pressure check the cap if you have access to the tester. If not just replace it with a new one. They are not that expensive. Just make sure that the new one is the proper pressure.

If your cap is not holding the proper pressure it will lower the boiling point of the coolant. Even if you are running the proper 50/50 mixture.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 12-16-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    RandyM, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

cwlumbra (12-17-2016)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast