Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Counter Weight/Backhoe Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Counter Weight/Backhoe Question

Is it a "no-no" to fill the backhoe bucket with heavy material to get extra counter weight when using maximum forklift weight on the front end? By filling the 12" bucket with a bag or "slugs" of lead - would that be too heavy and mess something up on the backhoe when driving around over bumpy ground?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks
    I would think you will be fine for situations that require it, but I would not want it in there any other time.
    TJR345 and johnsopa like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    If you have the BH attached to the tractor, the BH is plenty of ballast for the FEL with forks attached. These machines will only pick about 850 lbs. with forks if you keep the load close to the carriage.
    TJR345 and jdtwnshp like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    If you have the BH attached to the tractor, the BH is plenty of ballast for the FEL with forks attached. These machines will only pick about 850 lbs. with forks if you keep the load close to the carriage.
    I was transporting full 49" buckets of muck last summer with my backhoe on and the load only high enough to keep the material in the loader and had some real pucker moments when crossing uneven terrain, This was not hard to lift the bucket so not fully maximum capacity but close. I could see why the op might be contemplating more rear ballast if he is not just moving things a short distance on level ground.
    bones, Levi, Myasis Dragon and 2 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Ray,
    The 4:50 mark of this video shows the backhoe being insufficient ballast for the load I had on the front.
    I suspect this load was well north of 1000 lbs, as I couldn't lift it any higher than I had it there.
    Oh, and I have Rimguard loaded tires, and the 50lb wheel weights. The backhoe is just not enough in these extreme loads, at least for my tractor.

Kennyd, bones, Levi and 5 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    It's 50/50 does the BH add ballast yes,because of the design is it top heavy,yes on a slope can you swing the BH to one side and lower the stabilizers to help counter yes is it the best way no.If you were doing loader work the BH can make the tractor feel tippy.In this situation weight on the 3 pt set halfway or lower is a better safer option.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks

More is almost always better, when it comes to ballast.

I've thrown a couple of 95 lb lead weights in the backhoe bucket before. It was all the difference I needed. The extra weight is low and provides good ballast.
    bones, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    When I am lifting heavy loads I just hook my 600# tiller on the back of the quick hitch. That will counter anything my bucket can lift.
    In fact with I have to use the tiller I load 5-6 cinder blocks in the loader for front ballast.
    Levi and Ray_PA like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    Ray,
    The 4:50 mark of this video shows the backhoe being insufficient ballast for the load I had on the front.
    I suspect this load was well north of 1000 lbs, as I couldn't lift it any higher than I had it there.
    Oh, and I have Rimguard loaded tires, and the 50lb wheel weights. The backhoe is just not enough in these extreme loads, at least for my tractor.
    And Tim - did I notice correctly that you then extended the backhoe farther out the back to help with the balancing act???
    Last edited by konakid; 12-18-2016 at 01:07 AM.
    Levi likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    Ray,
    My opinion, you are overloaded. I would simply make an extra trip instead of testing the limits of the machine. I agree with your last sentence.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast