Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Newbie - 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-16-2017 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Newbie - 1025R

I posted this over in the New Member section but someone suggested I post here as well.

Hi gang! Total newbie here. I have never owned a tractor. However, we keep running into situations where a tractor sure would be handy on our 6 acres which is all mowable yard/pasture. We have a zero turn for mowing. As I thought about how I might initially use a tractor, it basically came down to FEL work, occasional mowing, driveway maintenance and some fill in/ground leveling projects.

I searched for months for a used tractor to meet my needs. However, as we know, used ones are pretty pricey and never exactly what you're looking for. So, I finally resigned myself to buying a new machine. Kubota, Mahindra and JD were on the final list. After extensive research, I chose the 1025R with an FEL, MMM and box blade as my first tractor. It is to be delivered next week. I vacillate between being super excited and feeling like I am in over my head.

After hours on GTT, I have already discovered a few things that seem to be "must do" such as Ron's Hooks for the FEL, 18 inch flexible whips for my grease guns and the 1025R service manual.

What else should I be thinking about? Any advise is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
    Gizmo2, Levi, blue87fj60 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks.

I highly recommend you look into getting a ballast box, Heavy Hitch, or another means of rear ballast to offset the weight and use of the loader. Here's some good reading. What is rear ballast and why do I need it?

Read your manual, read your manual, and then read your manual. Seriously, read it before you get it, then review it again after you've had it for a few days. You'll be amazed to learn what you were told but already forgotten or missed.

Another rule you must remember, ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. They work together.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. And congrats on your new
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (12-26-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks. 1gif:

I highly recommend you look into getting a ballast box, Heavy Hitch, or another means of rear ballast to offset the weight and use of the loader. Here's some good reading. What is rear ballast and why do I need it?

Read your manual, read your manual, and then read your manual. Seriously, read it before you get it, then review it again after you've had it for a few days. You'll be amazed to learn what you were told but already forgotten or missed.

Another rule you must remember, ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. They work together.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. 1gif: And congrats on your new
    Welp as being a new owner myself... Dieselshadow has summed it up!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    1025r FILB, 47" Snowblower, Front Blade, Quick Hitch

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    The safety issues DS mentions are priceless. I would also suggest a toothbar for your FEL seeing how it looks like you didn't get a backhoe. A lot of people really like the Piranha Toothbar
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsmyQ View Post
    I posted this over in the New Member section but someone suggested I post here as well.

Hi gang! Total newbie here. I have never owned a tractor. However, we keep running into situations where a tractor sure would be handy on our 6 acres which is all mowable yard/pasture. We have a zero turn for mowing. As I thought about how I might initially use a tractor, it basically came down to FEL work, occasional mowing, driveway maintenance and some fill in/ground leveling projects.

I searched for months for a used tractor to meet my needs. However, as we know, used ones are pretty pricey and never exactly what you're looking for. So, I finally resigned myself to buying a new machine. Kubota, Mahindra and JD were on the final list. After extensive research, I chose the 1025R with an FEL, MMM and box blade as my first tractor. It is to be delivered next week. I vacillate between being super excited and feeling like I am in over my head

After hours on GTT, I have already discovered a few things that seem to be "must do" such as Ron's Hooks for the FEL, 18 inch flexible whips for my grease guns and the 1025R service manual.

What else should I be thinking about? Any advise is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
    Just MHO but get a set of forks, you wont regret it. your first thoughts will be "why would I need them" but when you get them you will see why.
    Levi, hemi225 and Drifterbike like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Illinois No such thing has a Stupid Question here. Saftey is the main concern around here, Like others say "Read Your Manual
    dieselshadow likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    If you have a zero turn I would have dropped the MMM and added an I-Match and ballast box and forks. Grab one of the pistol grip grease guns at yur dealer. Any of em are good. As you mentioned, the tech manual is a no brainer. Make sure you get a full demo ftom your dealer of YOUR machine upon delivery. Make them remove and reinstall all attachments. Then you do it. Any problems.. Have em take it back to be corrected. Check for cosmetic fit and finish. If not up to your standards.. Reject and try again. These are just some lil annoying things I see on a daily basis. Don't sign the papers until yur 100%.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark, Levi and joshn3448 like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Kenny will have a laugh at being called Ron. It's Ken's Bolt-on Hooks.

Enjoy yourself here and ask as many questions as you can. And congrats on your new
    Already made a newbie mistake. My apologies to Kenny! I get the impression that I should read my manual

I'll read the thread about ballast. Thanks!
    ColonyPark, dieselshadow and Levi like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    The safety issues DS mentions are priceless. I would also suggest a toothbar for your FEL seeing how it looks like you didn't get a backhoe. A lot of people really like the Piranha Toothbar
    I looked at the Piranha. I'm recovering from sticker shock but will add it to the wish list.
    Levi likes this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    If you have a zero turn I would have dropped the MMM and added an I-Match and ballast box and forks. Grab one of the pistol grip grease guns at yur dealer. Any of em are good. As you mentioned, the tech manual is a no brainer. Make sure you get a full demo ftom your dealer of YOUR machine upon delivery. Make them remove and reinstall all attachments. Then you do it. Any problems.. Have em take it back to be corrected. Check for cosmetic fit and finish. If not up to your standards.. Reject and try again. These are just some lil annoying things I see on a daily basis. Don't sign the papers until yur 100%.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    I hear you on the MMM. It would not have been on the top of my list. However, that was the only request from the boss. The zero turn was out of commission a couple times this year so she wanted a backup. If it makes her happy then so be it.

I'll be sure to check it out carefully. My guess is the delivery guy is going to be here a while! Thanks!
    Levi and joshn3448 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast