650 engine swap
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 650 engine swap

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts

    650 engine swap

    I have 2 650 4wd tractors. One has 900 hrs and a blown engine the other with unknown hrs and a good running engine. The trans shifts kind of rough and the 3 pt hitch has inconsistence operation. My plan is to use the low hour transmission and 3 pt with the good engine. I am not sure yet if I will attach the front end of the running tractor to the low hour rear end or if I will pull the engine . The engine is already out of the blown one. I am looking for advice on what method I should use and also if there are any seals that would be good to replace since I will be in fairly deep?
    pcabe5 and keane like this.
    2009 5045E
    1985 650 4 WD
    Big Dog X-1060

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    RandyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Location
    Stoughton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,594
    Thanks
    1,047
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts


    What a fun project! You gonna show us your fun? Sorry, I cannot help you with your concerns.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

    2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

    The more I learn, the less I know.

  4. Top | #3
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,721
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    I have 2 650 4wd tractors. One has 900 hrs and a blown engine the other with unknown hrs and a good running engine. The trans shifts kind of rough and the 3 pt hitch has inconsistence operation. My plan is to use the low hour transmission and 3 pt with the good engine. I am not sure yet if I will attach the front end of the running tractor to the low hour rear end or if I will pull the engine . The engine is already out of the blown one. I am looking for advice on what method I should use and also if there are any seals that would be good to replace since I will be in fairly deep?
    The transmissions in these early X50 (650 - 1050) tractors are non-synchronized. The clutch needs to be fully disengaged and tractor stopped / not rolling when changing gears. It's also common for the dry clutch to be out of adjustment. Too much clutch pedal free play will result in incomplete disengagement and you'll have trouble moving from neutral into any other gear.

    I'd say check and / or adjust the clutch in the running tractor and use the one with the blown engine for parts. The 3PH lift problem should be an easy repair. You may just swap the entire 3PH lift top section from the parts tractor.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 12-31-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    56FordGuy and keane like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    AJgrn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 91 Times in 84 Posts
    Yeah as he said....you should NOT be trying to shift while moving, these types of transmissions require you to be at a complete stop to shift. Also, a worn or out of adjustment clutch that drags can make shifting difficult.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    The transmissions in these early X50 (650 - 1050) tractors are non-synchronized. The clutch needs to be fully disengaged and tractor stopped / not rolling when changing gears. It's also common for the dry clutch to be out of adjustment. Too much clutch pedal free play will result in incomplete disengagement and you'll have trouble moving from neutral into any other gear.
    .
    I have a friend with a 650 with 12K hours on it. He said the same thing you did about the clutch. We tried to adjust it but with no improvement. Here is what I have noticed. If you stop the tractor completely and then shift right away its not too bad (some grind but very little). On the other hand, If you stop the tractor and pause for a bit (clutch pedal depressed) and then shift gears, the grind is very noticeable.
    2009 5045E
    1985 650 4 WD
    Big Dog X-1060

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    The 3pt hitch has been serviced and it seems to have plenty of lifting strength. The problem is that If you do not hold the lever back the lift will fall.
    2009 5045E
    1985 650 4 WD
    Big Dog X-1060

  9. Top | #7
    AJgrn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 91 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    The 3pt hitch has been serviced and it seems to have plenty of lifting strength. The problem is that If you do not hold the lever back the lift will fall.
    I'm a little confused, are you saying that the 3pt control lever is sliding forward on its own and allowing the 3pt to drop?

  10. Top | #8
    tomd999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Location
    Manchvegas, NH area
    Posts
    1,965
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 422 Times in 285 Posts
    Hiya,

    I'm with Frank on this one, adjust the clutch, tighten/repair the friction disk on the 3pt control lever and see what you have. My grandfather had an old tractor that would grind no matter what we did, his solution, shut it off, change speeds, start it up again. Hey it worked.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

    Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

    “Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    I'm a little confused, are you saying that the 3pt control lever is sliding forward on its own and allowing the 3pt to drop?
    yes.
    2009 5045E
    1985 650 4 WD
    Big Dog X-1060

  12. Top | #10
    AJgrn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 91 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy View Post
    yes.
    I would think that should be an easy fix, easier than an engine swap.

    If the clutch is really bad though, that would require removing the engine.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •