• 3 Post By keane
  • 3 Post By Traction

Thread: Snowblower length?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:02 AM
    Thanks

Snowblower length?

First off Happy New Years everyone! Hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2017! To start the new year off I'm looking to buy a snowblower.
    I'm between the John Deere 54 quick attach and the Frontier SB54. To me it's a toss up between the two driving backwards will not be a problem for the time being and seems that the Frontier is more stout.
    The deal breaker for me will be how much longer it makes the machine. I'm wondering what each one adds to the total length for example the 54 qh from front of the blower box to the end of the 3point arms.
    I really like the the build and performance I've seen online on the Frontier but looks like it hangs out a lot further than the front blower so just want to have some solid measurements. Thanks for your help!
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Thanks
    My Frontier SB1148 is about 37.5" to center of the pin on lower 3 point arm. I don't have QH.
    The 54 model is probably the same just wider.
    If you do decide on Frontier rear blower it would be a good idea to mention to dealer wether or not you will use QH. I'm not sure if they trim driveshaft and or cover to fit.
    My cover appears to have been cut.
    I like the high speed plow up front personally. My driveway is long, gravel, and winds through the woods. I went with rear blower in case I needed help after a heavy blizzard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7686.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	290082

Name:	IMG_7684.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	290090

Name:	IMG_7685.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	290098
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the measurements! I have a 48 tiller and that just covers the rear tracks. Just wondering why you went with the 48? I'd get the 48 but have read here to get wider so the tires will track in the path or does that only apply to the front blowers? have you had any issues with it?
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Thanks
    No issues what so ever.
    If i had asphalt drive i would of went bigger probably.
    Figured a 48" wide gravel thrower was enough.
    eyeboltman and budman like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know if you have your mind set on a rear mount blower, but I really like my front mounted 54" snowblower, it just may be more expensive
    eyeboltman likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I just put my 54 Snowblower onto my 1025R a couple of weeks ago. I took a measurement from the front edge of the front bumper to a perpendicular line between the front edges of the 2 drift cutters. I purchased an extra drift cutter for my 54. For some inexplicable reason, they only come with one. The added length to the tractor is 39.5 inches, probably +/- .25 inches considering my method of measurement.

I love having the blower in front. I would think long and hard about getting a rear blower. However easy it is to drive half-turned around now, I guarantee it will get harder as you age. Having a sore back and/or neck will take a lot of the fun out of your tractor adventures. The other thing to consider is a mishap. If you are twisted around and you accidentally hit something solid, you can do a lot more damage to your body if it is twisted. Any money you saved could seem pretty insignificant.

Keane
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

9. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

Winter83 (03-12-2017)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Joe, my driveway is paved so maybe I'll stick to the 54. Ok so the front blower actually adds more than the rear (not counting the 3 point arms)looks the other way around in pictures and videos.
    For once I'm actually not looking at cost but more build, it appears the rear blowers are built heavier probably due to the fact they are only on tractors.
    I'm more concerned about construction and blowing distance/ability. I found that the front actually runs a few rpms higher (I think 14 or so) after being reduced from the mid pto. But in all the videos the rear blowers launch the snow! The front has three blades on the impeller as opposed to 4 on the rear guess that is where it helps the rear throw the snow?
    I've seen a few used rear ones on the market so figured I could try it out and go from there.
    It's a shame the bean counters didn't allow a separate blower for the 1 and 2 series because the competition seems to have an edge of what Deere offers for front blowers.
    I was quoted about 4500 for a front Bercomac blower, the thing looks great but the most $$$.
    2017 JD X570 48”

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Don't forget the ballast. If you don't have wheel weights or liquid filled tires, you may need to have a blade or ballast box on the rear when using a front blower. That will add length. The same is true with a rear blower; you'll need some weight on the front (loader or blade I'd presume).
    eyeboltman, keane and Winter83 like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

Winter83 (01-03-2017)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements