Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Rookie Help - 1025R TLB Questions on Price and Mowing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2017 @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks

Rookie Help - 1025R TLB Questions on Price and Mowing

Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next week.

Have been to the dealer, and have decided that the 1025R is at the top of my list. We are finishing building our house on a 5 acre lot. 1.5 acres of lawn, remainder is currently treed. I will be planting about 80-100 trees along one side of our property, in addition to building a berm, doing some clearing work, planting a 1/3-1/2 acre garden and a number of other projects that the TLB combo will be great for.

Have a couple of questions:

After reading a lot of sources though, I'm worried about the 54in deck for cutting quality. Lawn quality and appearance are an important factor in the overall decision. So my question is, if the deck is $2500, does it make sense to buy another dedicated mower in place of the deck? I would really prefer to have one machine, but if the economics are similar, and the cut quality would be much better with a dedicated mower, I would appreciate any guidance possible.

Is a 2016 model the only option, or should I be looking for a 2017?

Final question is looking for validation on price. Quote out the door with tax and delivery from my local dealer is $24,945 including tax.

I've attached the quote.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quote.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	300065

Thank you!
    Levi and ky_shawn like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=runto100;1489937]Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next

After reading a lot of sources though, I'm worried about the 54in deck for cutting quality. Lawn quality and appearance are an important factor in the overall decision. So my question is, if the deck is $2500, does it make sense to buy another dedicated mower in place of the deck? I would really prefer to have one machine, but if the economics are similar, and the cut quality would be much better with a dedicated mower, I would appreciate any guidance possible.

I don't own a 1 series so can't offer much advise to a lot of your questions but I do have experience in one area. I to liked the ideal of one machine to do everything including the mowing but it didn't really make me happy so I ended up buying another mower. You will manage just fine but if cut quality is high on your list, a z-turn sure is hard to beat. I personally would spend the money that a mmm would cost for the tractor towards a z-turn or lawn tractor. The cut quality will be nicer, a z-turn will make quicker work cutting 1.5 acres, and if mowing around all those newly planted trees the z-turn will make you happier in ways no tractor will.

I had mmm on previous tractors but for the current tractor I purchased a mower for the 3 point to try something different. For me it was a massive improvement over the mmm not to mention cheaper. I was able to back it under tree limbs, back it into areas that a tractor didn't maneuver well in, and felt I could treat it a little rougher than a mmm. Although I was happier with the rear finish mower than the mmm, I still returned to a z-turn.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 01-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Levi, Drifterbike and Radsbee like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Hi runto100
    Cannot speak to price I live in the wrong country. But as far as finish goes you will never get a football field finish unless your yard is as flat as a football field. It is more to do with width of cut than anything the wider the cut the worse the job on uneven ground unless you use a gang mower that conforms to the shape of the ground or a smaller deck. The 1025R is a compromise in it's FEL, BH and MMM. Don't get me wrong,there is no tractor available with FEL, BH and MMM that is not a compromise, if the FEL and BH work well the tractor will be too big and heavy to be a good mower and conversely if the tractor is a good mower it will be too small and light to be the best FEL and BH combination.
    I have a 1025R with FEL, BH and 54D MMM which I love, I consider it the best toy I have ever invested in, it is 2 years old and has 400 hrs on it. But I also have a JD Z235 (42" deck), for close in around the house where I want a neater job. I use the 1025R for mowing where the big areas where I am less particular.
    Regards John
    Levi, OxPath, romcjr and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Stay with the 54" deck on the 1025r and don't look back, you will be pleased .
    OxPath and Drifterbike like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by runto100 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next week.

Have been to the dealer, and have decided that the 1025R is at the top of my list. We are finishing building our house on a 5 acre lot. 1.5 acres of lawn, remainder is currently treed. I will be planting about 80-100 trees along one side of our property, in addition to building a berm, doing some clearing work, planting a 1/3-1/2 acre garden and a number of other projects that the TLB combo will be great for.

Have a couple of questions:

Is a 2016 model the only option, or should I be looking for a 2017?

Final question is looking for validation on price. Quote out the door with tax and delivery from my local dealer is $24,945 including tax.

I've attached the quote.

Name:	Quote.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	300065

Thank you!

I think apples to apples you're about $800 less in price to my 2016 deal, but I got the 60" MMM and my package included a rear work light and a JD quick hitch. I use my 60" MMM on the part of the property that I mow every couple of weeks (about 2.5 acres) and use my Craftsman to mow the 'real grass' (from sod) directly around the house (about .5 acres). The rest of my property is wooded.

I don't think there were any changes to the 2017 1025R (from reading this forum, no first hand knowledge.
    Levi, OxPath and Drifterbike like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I posted this in another thread of our dealer's ad here in south jersey.
    Use it as a bargaining chip or bring a trailer up and get your deck included in your base price.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 5.46.44 AM.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	601.2 KB 
ID:	300257
    Levi, OxPath and Drifterbike like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

runto100 (01-18-2017)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Thanks
    Out in the Rockies a new TLB can be had for under $20k (pretax no MMM) all day long which is about what I paid for mine and they delivered it to my house.
    Levi and OxPath like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks
    Here are some pictures of the cut quality of the 54 on a 1025r. This is after following the deck instructions from here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6688.jpg   IMG_6701.jpg  
    Levi, OxPath, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Do you owners mow with the loader and BH on,, or removed?

The combo seems to be too heavy,, unless you are only mowing a 1/2 acre, or less,,,
    Drifterbike likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    04-01-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
    Out in the Rockies a new TLB can be had for under $20k (pretax no MMM) all day long which is about what I paid for mine and they delivered it to my house.
    Same in Old Dominion
    Drifterbike likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast