Trying to decide on a tractor 1025r?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on a tractor 1025r?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks

Trying to decide on a tractor 1025r?

I'm buying a house next week and I will need a mower/tractor. I'm buying 48 acres. With about 4 fairly nice finish lawn, 3 mid grade lawn/field and 3 rough power line. The rest is rolling hills heavily wooded. I had been thinking I would get a 1025r with 60" MMM, FEL and 48" Frontier rotary cutter. I just learned that some relatives that are going to rent our garage apartment have a small riding mower. This now has me wondering if I should just not get the MMM, or would it make more sense to move up to a 2 or 3 series without a MMM. Originally I was thinking the 1025r for its size getting up close around the house and stuff. But I was a bit nervous about it being kinda small for everything else, but I may have been spoiled using my family's 3, 4 and 6 series over the years. I still like the thought of having 1 tractor/mower to maintain, and of the riding mower really sucks or dies soon I will need to either get a MMM or another riding mower. I have been using my parents' zero turn and I realize I don't like them like I do with a lawn tractor or CUT. I don't really care that my lawn is perfect, but I don't want to tear it up either. The land doesn't really have any heavy loader work that's needed. It will be helpful for gathering wood for the wood stove and in that respect a smaller tractor will drive through the woods easier.

I like the 2032r (2017) as it seems like a good size balance. But not sure if it's really worth the significant cost increase.
    Last edited by Jamone; 01-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Levi likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamone For This Useful Post:

2032Ranger (01-20-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT. I can't help on the tractor but there are plenty of owners here with those that should be along to give you their opinion
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks

With 10 acres to mow,,, I hope you are retired,, or IMHO,, the 1 series might not be time effective.

BUT,, I am a bigger is better tractor fan,,,

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

With 10 acres to mow,,, I hope you are retired,, or IMHO,, the 1 series might not be time effective.

BUT,, I am a bigger is better tractor fan,,,

Yeah the thought has crossed my mind. However the power lines don't need to be cut but maybe once a month. I'll also probably cut the field every 2-3 weeks with the close in lawn every 1-2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamone View Post
    Yeah the thought has crossed my mind. However the power lines don't need to be cut but maybe once a month. I'll also probably cut the field every 2-3 weeks with the close in lawn every 1-2 weeks.

With the mowing you have listed, a 1 series certainly will get the job done. Considering the acreage in its entirety and the mowing you listed, I think a 2 series would serve you better for the current and into the future.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome from Illinois I have a 1025r with 60" and it trims up close well. I also have a 72" Grooming mower I pull behind a older tractor. With me on the groomer and my wife on the 1025 it takes 1.5 hours to mow 3 acres. Your renter might no always be there. Do I have you confused by now. I my opinion a 2 series would probably serve you better
    Levi likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    you didn't mention what you might be doing with the woods part of the property.......... I would suggest 3 series and 4 series isn't out of the question when you do more than mow. Like cut trees and haul firewood. Make trails for atv's, horses or what ever. Easy to spend someone elses money.........
    Levi, JKR, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Thanks
    That much property and maintenance I would look into at minimum of a 2 and better yet a 3 series. I think you will be kicking yourself down the road with a 1 series. not saying they would not do the job. But with that much open area I could see a 5' rotary mower for the large areas. Not sure how much hills you have but the 2 series would have about as much power as you would want but yet maintain the small footprint for a tractor. The FEL would definitely come in handy for wood moving and even better get a set of forks, you will not go wrong with the forks.
    Levi likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patchnball View Post
    you didn't mention what you might be doing with the woods part of the property.......... I would suggest 3 series and 4 series isn't out of the question when you do more than mow. Like cut trees and haul firewood. Make trails for atv's, horses or what ever. Easy to spend someone elses money.........
    The woods are large hardwoods. There are already quite a few trails and making more will be easy by taking down some really small brush/baby trees. My wife doesn't want to clear any of the big stuff. I will be hauling firewood but plan to mostly rely on picking up fallen stuff. Having used a 4 series I think that will be a bit big. I could see a 3, but it seems like with a 3 I would need to always use a separate riding mower around the house. Not that this is a problem, but it does limit my ability to justify this purchase to the wife. She has approved the ~$20k I told her we'd probably spend and I think I could go up to $30k. Beyond that I think I'd have to wait on the purchase until justification arises.

Levi likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    3046r cab with that much property. I have a 1023 e love it but mowing that much take for ever. Ac heat that's what I want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161105_104609817_1484917587636.jpg  
    chex313 and Levi like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast