Contemplating 1025R, Help Me Decide Which Mower Deck?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Contemplating 1025R, Help Me Decide Which Mower Deck?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks

Contemplating 1025R, Help Me Decide Which Mower Deck?

Hi, I'm new GTT. I've been on the sister site, WFM, for years. I was contemplating purchasing a used x749, but by the time I equip itmwith everything I need (rear PTO, 3-point, etc) I'm at the price of a new 1025R. I have to say, GTT has the most comprehensive information on JD SCUTs of all the forums I've been researching. So thank you for helping me to spend my money. You may have to help me stay married, too.

Originally, I was going to go with the 60", 7-Iron, mower deck. However, after reading a number of posts and reports of scalping issues with the 60" deck, I'm thinking I should order the 54" deck and that is what the posts I've read tend to confirm. On the other hand, I've read other reviews of the 7-Iron deck that heaped praise on it. Has something changed where the 60" deck would be the better deck? I really don't have room to store a mower only rider in addition the 1025R and the associated attachments.

The other options I'm going to order:

H130 FEL
    47" Snow Thrower
    Independent 3 circuit SCV
    Cozy Cab w/glass doors
    Levi likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Hi, I'm new GTT. I've been on the sister site, WFM, for years. I was contemplating purchasing a used x749, but by the time I equip itmwith everything I need (rear PTO, 3-point, etc) I'm at the price of a new 1025R. I have to say, GTT has the most comprehensive information on JD SCUTs of all the forums I've been researching. So thank you for helping me to spend my money. You may have to help me stay married, too.

Originally, I was going to go with the 60", 7-Iron, mower deck. However, after reading a number of posts and reports of scalping issues with the 60" deck, I'm thinking I should order the 54" deck and that is what the posts I've read tend to confirm. On the other hand, I've read other reviews of the 7-Iron deck that heaped praise on it. Has something changed where the 60" deck would be the better deck? I really don't have room to store a mower only rider in addition the 1025R and the associated attachments.

The other options I'm going to order:

H130 FEL
    47" Snow Thrower
    Independent 3 circuit SCV
    Cozy Cab w/glass doors
    You are very welcome for letting us help you spend your money !!!
    I myself have the 54" deck and it mows my property very well (mostly flat) . It seems that the more hilly the terrain is the more scalping problems arise . The important thing is to have the deck setup properly .
    I'm sure others will chime in to expand on my answer as there a lot of folks here with a lot more knowledge than I have and most of all

from s.e. Texas !!!
    etcallhome, Levi, JKR and 2 others like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, 54 does nice job. I'd get a 54 blower though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, 54 does nice job. I'd get a 54 blower though.
    Why are you recommending the 54 Blower?

Presently, I have two 455 AWS, both with 46 snow throwers, at each of our homes. With the diesel power, they've always done everything I've asked of them and throwing the snow a good distance has never been an issue. Width wise, they seemed to work well on the sidewalks. I've never utilized a two stage blower before. About the only thing the 46 struggles with is real wet snow, I have to spoon feed it in to avoid breaking sheer bolts, but moving slow creates issues with the chute plugging. We typically get one or two wet snowfalls a season here and, for the most part, I found the sweet spot where I don't have too many issues with the chute plugging. This year was the first time in several that I severed a sheer bolt.

Anyway, I was thinking the 47 Blower, assuming it would fit the sidewalks better. There isn't much of a price difference between the two, so I'd sure be interested in gleaning more wisdom as to why I should consider a 54.

I see you have the backhoe. I just didn't think I'd have enough use to rationalize it and storage space is an issue at this time. I'm thinking this series of tractors will be around for awhile, so if things should change in the future, I could add it then.

The cab is really putting me way over the top on what I had hoped to spend. Both of the 455s have hard side cabs. I relate cabs to A/C, once you have a house with central A/C or a car with central A/C (I'm showing my age), you'll never be without again. I apply the same logic to cabs.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Anyway, I was thinking the 47 Blower, assuming it would fit the sidewalks better. There isn't much of a price difference between the two, so I'd sure be interested in gleaning more wisdom as to why I should consider a 54.

The 1025R is 47.2" wide. Most people prefer a blower that is wider than the machine itself is. Ideally, wide enough that you can use it and turn without tracking your wheels through uncleared snow.
    chex313, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Thanks
    As has been said, proper setup is essential. Do it yourself if you are handy and you can save a couple hundred bucks. There is an excellent thread in this forum to help, it's the third sticky.

I like the 60" deck. Being wider it can get closer to trees and stuff. I have not had any scalping issues, even though my "lawn" is extremely uneven. I do mow at nearly full height though, so if you mow short I could understand having more problems. I used to have a problem with the downhill side mowing shorter than the uphill side which resulted in ridges. Adjusting the gage wheels one notch lower has alleviated that problem.

You'll also need to decide upon a deck lift method. Mechanical lift (standard), Hydraulic lift, or Independent lift. Be sure you fully understand the differences - don't let the dealer sell you something like mine tried to. Unless you have some special need, like needing to move the 3pt up and down *while* mowing, then you will do well with the "Mechanical lift". Which is poorly named because it is hydraulically controlled, in fact it is more finely controlled via hydraulics than the other two options which are additional costs. Also, both types of "upgraded" lifts can be installed later if you should develop a need for them.

Then you will need to decide if you want the Auto Connect PTO. Note that all decks (both of them) are called "Auto Connect", but neither come with the parts that will connect up the PTO to the deck, that is an extra cost. Without it you will have to kneel down and manually hook up the PTO shaft. Many of us have had zero problems with the auto connect PTO, and quite a few have had some problems. In my opinion, all the problems that people have had are due to sloppy setup - which is why I recommend that you do it yourself if you are up to it. It is not hard at all, just takes a couple of peaceful hours in a clean work area.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

9. Top | #7
    JKR
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    I had a 1025R with a 60" deck. My lawn wasn't real flat and did scalp a little even with the deck set up right.
    I stop using it want got a 54" zero turn mower. Much better than the 60" deck and better than the 1025R for cutting grass.
    The zero turn is lighter less tire tracks, faster and easier to mover around objects.
    Levi likes this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,611 Posts
    IMO go with the 54",, I owned a 1025 with a 60" , mower deck setup by dealer, by me , then by the dealer . Pins replaced with bolts, plus different parts replaced by Mother Deere. my back yard looked the worst I've ever seen. After having the PIA for about a year figured out if I dropped the wheels so they were 1/8" of so off my driveway yard looked fair. better but not as nice as the 54" cut.

Oh the 60 is a work horse, on level yards ,no complaints, mowing up and down the hill OK, mowing on a angle or across yard looked like SH__ __

Two of my friends bought the 60" ,one from a different dealer, both of them the same complaint. I talked with the one just the other day, he had to do the same thing either having the gauge wheels touching the driveway or 1/8" clearance. Both said they would NOT buy the 60" again.

Wish you luck ,
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Even with a cab you won't have A/C.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    My property is hilly out back and I mow some of the neighbors which have steep hills so I went with the 54" deck and love it. I have the auto connect and the mechanism takes only about two minutes to remove when it is time to install the snowblower. I have the "mechanical lift" controlled by the 3 point and I have not had any problems with it.

For my snowblower I went with the 54" because we do not have sidewalks--as you pointed out in your post. If I had to do sidewalks I probably would have gone with the 47".
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast