• 2 Post By Traction
  • 2 Post By fishbait

Thread: NorthEast Sleet Storm clean up with loader Bucket

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

NorthEast Sleet Storm clean up with loader Bucket

The Northeast was hit last night with 12 hours of steady, heavy sleet/snow/rain. I am at 1200 foot elevation deep in the Catskill Mountains where we got several inches of extremely heavy, water ladened sleet mixed with rain. This is the heaviest precipitation I have encountered since getting my 1025R. This stuff is so wet and heavy that a Honda Commercial snow blower would not pick up and throw one drop

I usually plow with an Artillian loader set-up which works very well for the plowing I do. This season, to be able to move large mounds of snow if needed, I got a 66" loader bucket that is 37" deep. The capacity is 16.7 cubic feet (heaped). The JD 53" loader bucket is only 9.3 cubic feet.

I crunched the numbers before buying this bucket to determine how much it could lift. I used a standard of 22lbs per cubic foot of snow which is about the maximum for water soaked snow. Or, so I thought.

Anyway, since the ground still is not frozen and everything was wet and sloppy, the plow picked up a lot of material from the driveways. It looked gruesome! But, the 1025R with no chains on R-4's moved all the heavy, heavy sleet I had to move.

I switched to the new 66" bucket which lifted every load I tried (some would only lift a couple feet). But, the cutting edge was digging holes in the wet surfaces. Then installed three 4" Bucket Tamers and tried again. The Bucket Tamers worked as advertised and prevented the bucket from digging any more holes.

So, here's a few pics of the 66"bucket lifting a huge pile of sleet (NOT snow!). Much quicker and more efficient than the 53" JD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000831.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	303450

Name:	P1000840.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	303466

Name:	P1000843.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	303474

Name:	P1000841.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	303482
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000837.JPG  
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    The Northeast was hit last night with 12 hours of steady, heavy sleet/snow/rain. I am at 1200 foot elevation deep in the Catskill Mountains where we got several inches of extremely heavy, water ladened sleet mixed with rain. This is the heaviest precipitation I have encountered since getting my 1025R. This stuff is so wet and heavy that a Honda Commercial snow blower would not pick up and throw one drop

I usually plow with an Artillian loader set-up which works very well for the plowing I do. This season, to be able to move large mounds of snow if needed, I got a 66" loader bucket that is 37" deep. The capacity is 16.7 cubic feet (heaped). The JD 53" loader bucket is only 9.3 cubic feet.

I crunched the numbers before buying this bucket to determine how much it could lift. I used a standard of 22lbs per cubic foot of snow which is about the maximum for water soaked snow. Or, so I thought.

Anyway, since the ground still is not frozen and everything was wet and sloppy, the plow picked up a lot of material from the driveways. It looked gruesome! But, the 1025R with no chains on R-4's moved all the heavy, heavy sleet I had to move.

I switched to the new 66" bucket which lifted every load I tried (some would only lift a couple feet). But, the cutting edge was digging holes in the wet surfaces. Then installed three 4" Bucket Tamers and tried again. The Bucket Tamers worked as advertised and prevented the bucket from digging any more holes.

So, here's a few pics of the 66"bucket lifting a huge pile of sleet (NOT snow!). Much quicker and more efficient than the 53" JD.

Name:	P1000831.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	303450

Name:	P1000840.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	303466

Name:	P1000843.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	303474

Name:	P1000841.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	303482
    At least you got something to play with. We got nothing but rain.

That's a really nice set up you got there.
    RandyM, etcallhome, Levi and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks

Great job and pix

Looks good. Frankly it looks even better since I didn't have to deal with it. Congratulations on having and using the right tool.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, Levi and joshn3448 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Nice. A few questions:

How much did it cost?
    What does the empty bucket weigh?
    Does it attach using the JDQA brackets?
    2012 1026R TLB - 60D 7 Iron MMM Auto connect w/ hyd lift - H120 w/ 53" FEL - 260BH w/ 12" Bucket - JD Aux Lights - R4's - Block heater - Artillian 36" JDQA Forks - Ken's Hooks - Piranha Tooth bar - Upgraded seat springs from psrumors

2013 Laramie Ram Power Wagon w/ Western 8.5' ProPlus plow
    2008 Dodge Avenger R/T Chrysler 200,000 Mile Club
    '16 Polaris Sportsman Touring 1000 XP
    '03 Kawasaki Prairie 650

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Nice. A few questions:

How much did it cost?
    What does the empty bucket weigh?
    Does it attach using the JDQA brackets?
    $750 plus $150 for JDQA

373lbs

It does have a JDQA which is an add-on

It is built like a tank and does exactly what I wanted it for - moving large mounds of snow.

Berlon Economy Bucket
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    Great pics! Every time the weatherman hints we'll get some measureable snow, the weather pattern changes and we only get an inch or two. Another year where I have only used the tractor once...

I want this , not this

The front tires might look a little squished with all that weight, though it is hard to tell from the pictures. You may want to check/increase your tire pressure (22 psi front, 20 psi rear max according to the manual) and possibly increase your rear ballast to shift some of the weight off the front axle.
    tj1 and joshn3448 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    Great pics! Every time the weatherman hints we'll get some measureable snow, the weather pattern changes and we only get an inch or two. Another year where I have only used the tractor once...

I want this , not this

The front tires might look a little squished with all that weight, though it is hard to tell from the pictures. You may want to check/increase your tire pressure (22 psi front, 20 psi rear max according to the manual) and possibly increase your rear ballast to shift some of the weight off the front axle.
    Thanks for your comments and advice. This was the maiden voyage for the new bucket so I expected the need for some adjustments. The front tires are indeed a bit squished with the loader heaped. Keep in mind that this load is sleet and not snow! It is quite a bit heavier than a normal snow load but I think your advice on tire pressure is good and I'll add a few puffs of air.

As for the ballast, I'm trying to get a handle on how the 400lb Tektite cab has affected the weight and balance. I have come to the conclusion that, as you suggest, additional weight be added to the rear when using the large bucket. The issue then is the front end being too light when I switch to the loader mounted plow and the problem of diminished steering. Being able to quickly add/subtract weight on the rear is the optimal set-up so a ballast box (along with it's added length) is not ideal. The Heavy Hitch with dual weight bars looks like a good way to add up to 8 more suitcase weights or an additional 336lbs that can be quickly and easily removed when switching to plow mode. Traction is not an issue as the tires are loaded with RimGuard and I have V-bar chains when needed.

I think I will get the dual Heavy Hitch and put the single bar hitch up for sale. Anyone interested? I'm located in the Hudson Valley region of New York.
    Last edited by fishbait; 01-25-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    Levi and Traction like this.
    1025r
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater