Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 1023e newbie ?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks

1023e newbie ?

with a 70lbs quick hitch and 200 pound 5 ft scrape blade be efficient enough rear wieght to do light duty work with FEL for counter weight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    You can try it you will know right away. Try it on level ground if you rear wheels come off the ground then its not heavy enough. I use a ballast box the by itself weights 150lbs then i use cement bricks in 3/4 the way full then chain on top. Good luck and carry your loads low to ground
    RandyM and Levi like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:21 AM
    Thanks
    moweec, I have a 1025, which I assume has similar weight characteristics as your 1023. I moved 10 ton of gravel (not in one trim I might add ) with ZERO ballast. I filled the bucket as full as I could, traveled with it LOW and SLOW, and had no issues whatsoever! I will add, these are the few times I put up the ROPS! Also, avoid ANY side slop. Oh, and P.S. - my ROPS STILL won't fit in the shed in the up position, no matter how hard I try
    Levi, romcjr, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    Merrell

- JD 1025R, R4's, H120 FEL w/ Kens Bolt-on Grab Hook/Clevis combo (awesome!), 60" autoconnect MMM, 36" forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,260 Posts
    RandyM, Traction and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

vacruiser (01-27-2017)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    The Approved Tires and Ballast for 1023E, 1025R, and 1026R Tractors is listed below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Approved Ballast 1023e 1025r 1026r.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	304049

John Deere wants to see 601 pounds on the rear hitch AND fluid filled tires for front end loader work. For light duty work you can probably get by with less, but keep in mind that your loader can pick up enough weight to lift the rear tires if there isn't enough ballast. Even if it seems ok, a front load can lift the rear wheels if you hit a dip (or travel too fast) with the load too high. The other issue with not having enough ballast is you can overload the front axle.

You should never be doing front end loader work without rear ballast. In your case, the rear blade will stick further back than the ballast box, so the 200 lb blade will have a greater impact as ballast than 200 lbs right at the rear hitch. That being said, you will want to keep your bucket loads light.

The really bad thing about the rear tires lifting off the ground is the front axle is NOT rigid and fixed in place; it is on a pivot. If the rear tires lift, the tractor can pivot on the front axle pivot point and tip over without warning.

A few simple rules listed in your loader manual (LINK):

1. Always use rear ballast when doing front end loader work.
    2. Keep the load low and the speed slow when the bucket is loaded.
    3. ROPS up, seat belt ON (or if the ROPS is down, seat belt OFF)
    keane and Foggy Bottom like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdy1318 View Post
    Oh, and P.S. - my ROPS STILL won't fit in the shed in the up position, no matter how hard I try
    Your just not going fast enough to make room for it. Don't give up yet.

Just kidding

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moweec View Post
    with a 70lbs quick hitch and 200 pound 5 ft scrape blade be efficient enough rear wieght to do light duty work with FEL for counter weight?
    You may get away with it many times. It will be the one time you was not watching properly, turned too sharp on a small grade with the bucket raised or just plain not on game that day that you will regret, if your lucky enough, the fact that you didn't have the proper ballast. With the ROPS folded, because it is inconvenient to get off the tractor, let's hope your not on too much of a slope and it only lay's on it's side and does not roll, Roll Over Protection (ROP). But this would be your choice. Most folks on here that have been around tractors will tell you to get the proper ballast. So let the flames begin
    Last edited by BillieS; 01-25-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Stupid spelling errors go figure!
    Levi, keane, Foggy Bottom and 2 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

bcampbell (01-25-2017)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:21 AM
    Thanks
    Oh, and P.S. - my ROPS STILL won't fit in the shed in the up position, no matter how hard I try
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    Your just not going fast enough to make room for it. Don't give up yet.

Just kidding
    I swear, I've spent hours trying to design (in my head) some kind of warning system capable of notifying an idiot it just ain't gonna fit!! Some thoughts are: A reverse backup sensor mounted to the ROPS, an idiot light on the dash - either triggered by a switch on the ROPS, or manually turned on when ROPS is up. Just seems when I'm doing FEL work that I feel requires the ROPS, I'm busy planning my routes, evaluating each move to make sure I'm not doing something I shouldn't, etc., there just isn't enough brain cells left at the end of the day to remember to lower the darn thing before heading to the garage. Keep in mind 90% of what I do is mowing (too many trees to us the ROPS), so it just doesn't become habit. Guess I'll just keep straightening the rollup door.
    Levi likes this.
    Merrell

- JD 1025R, R4's, H120 FEL w/ Kens Bolt-on Grab Hook/Clevis combo (awesome!), 60" autoconnect MMM, 36" forks

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moweec View Post
    Depends what you call light duty work. I've done it with no more then a box blade on the back. Like was said, you'll know as soon as you go to pick up the FEL. I've done some heavy work with the FEL with the box blade and 6 suit case weights on the back and it's worked. You have to watch where you drive and what you're driving over. With a FEL load of gravel, box blade and 6 suit case weights is how I did this:

Name:	0827151206.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	304689
    From the bottom of the pic I'd drive up the hill and then back down it to get where I wanted to go. As you can see I had everything low. Doing it this way I could lower the box blade should it not have worked out to stop me. Kept my driving sideways to a minimum. You will have to stay on your toes and don't drive very fast. Always keep your hand on the controls in case you have to drop the BB or the FEL. This was in the FEL:

Name:	0827151159c.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	304697
    This was heavy. Can it be done, yes. Safely? If you're very careful. I did 3 pick up loads of this stuff. Many trips and always the same way.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    I swear, I've spent hours trying to design (in my head) some kind of warning system capable of notifying an idiot it just ain't gonna fit!! Some thoughts are: A reverse backup sensor mounted to the ROPS, an idiot light on the dash - either triggered by a switch on the ROPS, or manually turned on when ROPS is up. Just seems when I'm doing FEL work that I feel requires the ROPS, I'm busy planning my routes, evaluating each move to make sure I'm not doing something I shouldn't, etc., there just isn't enough brain cells left at the end of the day to remember to lower the darn thing before heading to the garage. Keep in mind 90% of what I do is mowing (too many trees to us the ROPS), so it just doesn't become habit. Guess I'll just keep straightening the rollup door.
    Strap something that will pop along the top of the ROPS...Balloons maybe? Plus if a party breaks out you'll be ready!

Seriously tho...anything that will crunch loudly and not hurt anything like a big chunk of styrofoam maybe tape a thick piece on and it will crunch and spill foam pieces on your head. Or something like this...Maybe you'll find something laying around...

I don't know if you can point these sensors or if you would get too many false positives...
    https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-60100.../dp/B002XUXUTS

Or could you get a long enough foam tube(The kind used to wrap pipes) and mount it so it sticks straight forward over your head and when you see it bend or hit the door it would remind you...Or mount a stick with an orange end like for curb marking.

Or hang a curtain down about head level on the garage or shed door and when it hits your face , you'll wonder whats going on and reminds you to stop.
    Last edited by chex313; 01-26-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast