Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Thumb recommendations

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2017 @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Thumb recommendations

I've searched for quite some time now looking for a thumb. I really wanted a Michigan Iron and Equipment, but they no longer make them. So that only leaves Bro-tek and Bxpanded. However, I was seriously considering a hydraulic thumb. Cons: ugly aftermarket hydraulic set-up, cost of set up and welding it on. Pros: it's hydraulic!, use the extra hydros for the hydraulic top link I want.

Am I missing any other options for a thumb?

Thought I'd throw a pic in for fun. I apologize for the clutter. The wife hasn't given me the go ahead for a secondary garage yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170123_190417_1485652340037.jpg  
    pcabe5, dieselshadow, rtgt and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    What's that tractor doing parked in a STIHL showroom? Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, fuelhog2000, Adamq and 6 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southsidehacker For This Useful Post:

moweec (01-28-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Apparently I like orange....just not on my tractor...haha
    Kennyd, pcabe5, Adamq and 4 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-01-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    I know nothing about the thumb you're looking for. But...... tell me about the backhoe dolly you are using
    pcabe5 likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    I wish I was so disorganized!!!!! Looks pretty organized to me. Nice!! and yes, nice Stihl stuff and John Deere also.

Concerning the thumb, I have no idea. I don't have one but think I could use one occasionally. So, I am going to watch this thread to see what others offer.
    I think I would like a hydraulic actuated thumb but, as you said, you would need aux. rear hydraulics on your tractor. Because you have PB for the BH, you will need to go aftermarket for the rear hydraulics.
    I know Fit Rite Hydraulics has a valve assembly set up for sub-compact tractors. If I install rear hydraulics on my 1025R, which I plan to do, I am going to use Fit Rites valve set up.
    Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com
    Top n Tilt for JD 1000 series
    Viper21 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    04-01-2019 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    I wish I was so disorganized!!!!! Looks pretty organized to me. Nice!! and yes, nice Stihl stuff and John Deere also.
    I have a friend who's OCD appears to be on the same level as the OP.... every time I'm in his garage, I'll move something intentionally...lol. It never gets by him. He usually puts it back immediately In the OP's garage, I'd have to turn one of them stihls opposite, or swap a couple of those dewalts. The sneaky one would be moving one of those neatly stacked white packages on the upper shelving....lol.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could be as organized as the OP. I try but, am just not capable....
    Ray_PA and rowdy*rodney like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Thumb

I purchased the BXpanded thumb right after my tractor was delivered. It works great. It's one of those tools that when you need it, you need it. I don't use it constantly so I didn't go hydraulic. I have the TLB so if I were to add anything hydraulic, it would be on the back for a blade etc.... Using the backhoe loop. I feel that would be more worth while because it is something I would utilize so much more. Anyway, the thumb saves me from getting off the rig to reposition something to properly curl the bucket and grip, and grip things that a bucket only curl wouldn't achieve. Think of how your hand would work without a thumb ! If you choose to get a thumb you will be very happy. It's mounted once and it's always there to put in service.

Don
    Last edited by Firemark; 01-29-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Ray_PA and joshn3448 like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Viper21....its made by Bxpanded and worth every penny!

I might be a little OCD, but I've been stuck in this garage for over a year now, since we moved. Going from 2 garages down to 1 hasn't been fun and extremely challenging.

I'm leaning towards the bxpanded thumb, but would really love the convenience of hydraulics. I know if I do the aftermarket set up it'll drive me crazy if it's not nice and neat and totally out of the way (shocking huh). Plus, I really would like to incorporate a button, pistol grip style grip to operate it and I'm having trouble finding what I have in my head.

My local JD dealer told me they could do an aftermarket install of all the hydros for $500- $1000, but stated "it won't look pretty" which was a deal breaker.
    Last edited by SPD319; 01-29-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Response
    Viper21 likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD319 View Post
    Thought I'd throw a pic in for fun. I apologize for the clutter. The wife hasn't given me the go ahead for a secondary garage yet.
    You call that CLUTTER? Wow... if you want to see a Jedi-clutter master stop by sometime. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD319 View Post
    My local JD dealer told me they could do an aftermarket install of all the hydros for $500- $1000, but stated "it won't look pretty" which was a deal breaker.
    The dealer told you up front that it "won't look pretty"? Wow... I would run, not walk to someone else to do the work. There is no reason that adding aux. hydraulics cannot be done correctly.
    joshn3448 and Firemark like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast