Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Demo Unit

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-30-2018 @ 11:12 AM
    Thanks

Demo Unit

Has anyone here ever had a demo unit from a dealer and returned it because it wasn't what they expected? I has my local dealer bring me a 1023e Saturday morning and i put 5 hours on it. Its just not big enough but that's all i can afford right now. I told him that i didn't think it was going to be big enough and if they would rent me one for a weekend,To which he replied that he would get me a demonstrator. now i feel as if i "owe them something because im not going to buy it" what do y'all think? I cant afford anything bigger.
    Last edited by rkaterle59; 02-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Drifterbike likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Why do you think it's not suited for your needs?
    Gizmo2, Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have very sandy soil and running a box blade it just sinks,even worse when i turn. The engine shuts off when i hit a bump and my bottom comes off the seat, i know its designed to do that but I'd have to crawl along and then it wont pull the blade.
    I hit a 1/2" cedar stump and it stopped the tractor so hard i almost fell off. Good thing i had the seat belt on! Not big enough!
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    I new to this tractor thing, but I'm not new to business. I wouldn't have any guilt taking it back if that was the deal. That's the risk they take and if they wanted paid for the 'loaner' they would have charged you a non-refundable deposit.

Just promise them your future business when you can afford a larger one and tell them to keep you in mind if they get a trade you may be interested in your price-point.
    Tomfive, PaDave, Levi and 6 others like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeke_in_SC For This Useful Post:

rkaterle59 (02-06-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkaterle59 View Post
    Has anyone here ever had a demo unit from a dealer and returned it because it wasn't what they expected? I has my local dealer bring me a 1023e Saturday morning and i put 5 hours on it. Its just not big enough but that's all i can afford right now. I told him that i didn't think it was going to be big enough and if they would rent me one for a weekend,To which he replied that he would get me a demonstrator. now i feel as if i "owe them something because im not going to buy it" whay do y'all think? I cant afford anything bigger.
    While different dealers have different policies with their DEMO Units, usually they are pretty clear about what they expect as far as limits of use, number of hours, etc. When a dealer drops off a piece of equipment, they expect you to reasonably use it to see if you like it and if the machine fits your needs. A Demo unit is an important sales tool to help dealers provide the customers with actual hands on experience and to see if the machine they are considering really fits their application and needs.

Often, as in your case, the customer finds out they need something else other than the machine they started with during the demo process. Can you imagine the remorse of not having tried the demo unit and stepping forward with the purchase only to find out after you have bought it and had it delivered that the machine was in fact "not big enough" for you? This is precisely what the DEMO program helps alleviate.

Openly share your concerns with the dealer about how you want to be "Fair" about this. Just make sure the dealer understands you are at your financial limits at either the purchase price or payment amount for the 1 series which they had you demo. If I were you, I would clearly tell them that you aren't comfortable with the costs of a larger unit right now and explain the reasons why, within reason (you don't need to dive into details of your personal financial situation, but being honest about your limits is crucial in my opinion.). Every detail you can share about how you plan on using the tractor going forward, the better off you are likely to be in getting the right implements and options to maximize your ownership of the tractor.

Depending upon the situation, the dealer has some tools at their disposal for helping with the "costs" whether it is in extending the loan term or helping you find a used piece of equipment which meets your needs. A real sales professional helps the client / customer make sure that the item they are purchasing is the best one to meet all of the customers needs within the limits of budget, storage space, actual machine needs and many other constraints.

On one other point, a DEMO tractor and a "rental tractor" are two entirely different approaches and transactions. If you really think that your needs could be met with an occasional rental of a piece of equipment, then maybe that is the approach you should consider. Just make sure you are clear with the dealer on this issue up front. But I have not seen too many dealers who are in the "rental business" and instead, there are equipment rental firms from locally owned small outfits to large nationwide companies with vast inventories.

There are different issues from a legal standpoint with "rental" equipment as there are liability issues, use limits tied to machine hours and even issues such as the equipment is being used on a third parties property (a customer of the person who is renting the equipment) which make the insurance coverage and liability issues more involved and the need to provide "subjugation" claims if something is damaged on the property, etc.

Just be sure that the dealer understands EXACTLY where your limit is for the purchase and then you can be sure that both you and the dealer should be "on the same page". It never hurts to send such a message in writing so you have it for future reference.

I went into a BMW Motorcycle Dealership recently to look at new Motorcycles. The day I went in right after they opened, was a very nice weather day. The dealer asked if I wanted to ride the new motorcycle (Demo Unit). I said yes and I had my riding gear in the car with me. I asked the dealer where they would prefer I limit my test ride and his response was "We close at 6 pm. As long as you have the bike back here by 5:45, you can take it anywhere you like. Ride it to really get a feel for it to see if you like it. See you when you get back".

I was gone about 55 minutes and returned. Normally, I would have ridden it for a few miles, but in this case, I ended up putting about 40 miles on the bike after jumping on the highway and riding around town. It certainly gave me a real feel for the bike and when I buy one, it will most likely be from this dealer if we can reach the agreeable terms. Many dealers avoid test rides like a plague. This dealer obviously has a different approach and I appreciated the ability to really try the bike to see if I liked it.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

martincom (02-06-2017), rkaterle59 (02-06-2017)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Their were NO TERMS as to the demo. I visited the dealer three weeks ago and its been phone conversations since.They dropped it off Saturday morning and that was it.The man wasn't even there 5 minutes, didn't even ask if i knew anything about it! I had to set up the blade as all the adjustments were loose, The unit was filthy and i had to clean the seat off to even sit on it.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Does the dealer have any used units that are larger?
    Levi, BigJim55, OldmanX and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Does the dealer have any used units that are larger?
    Nothing used, I really wanted the 0 percent financing, so used
    is not an option.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkaterle59 View Post
    Nothing used, I really wanted the 0 percent financing, so used
    is not an option.
    Don't get hung up on the 0% financing. If a used tractor that is suitable shows up and the financing is reasonable you should consider what you can accomplish with the tractor and whether the monthly interest is worth more than the ability to get to work now. Or you can wait (tractorless) until you can afford a new 0% tractor.
    Kennyd, PaDave, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2005 - JD 4110, 54" front blade, 47" snow blower
    2004 - JD X595, 54" front blade
    2000 - JD 4100, 410 FEL

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,540 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcreek View Post
    Don't get hung up on the 0% financing. If a used tractor that is suitable shows up and the financing is reasonable you should consider what you can accomplish with the tractor and whether the monthly interest is worth more than the ability to get to work now. Or you can wait (tractorless) until you can afford a new 0% tractor.
    Exactly right. Your still paying for 0% somehow, just like "free" shipping.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast