Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Lighting Mods - Reverse Light and ROPS

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks

Lighting Mods - Reverse Light and ROPS

I finished off a change and addition that I had been looking to make for awhile now. I added two aux light switches (JD part #AM117324) to the dash area. One occupies the blank for the independent mower lift solenoid switch and the other a cut-out I made below it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	310905

The top switch controls a dedicated circuit that I ran along the factory wiring harness to the rear of the tractor. This circuit controls the two factory ROPS lights which, despite adding the blinders from Artillian, still can be an annoyance if they aren't needed. Thus the ROPS lights do not come on with the factory light switch anymore; they only come on by pressing the top switch. Pretty straightforward.

The bottom switch is after a relay I added. The relay gets its 12V signal from the reverse switch. When the reverse pedal is pressed, the relay closes and provides power to the bottom switch. The circuit then runs to the rear of the tractor and powers a single rear-facing light I added (John Deere Light Kit LVB25547). The light kit is meant to be used as an alternative to the ROPS lights with the factory wiring harness but it now has its own circuit. Purchasing the light wasn't the cheapest way to go but I got a nice factory light that wasn't an aftermarket LED light (I hate the look of LED).

So, when the bottom switch is on, the reverse light only comes on when the reverse hydro pedal is pressed. When off, the reverse light doesn't ever come on. Here are the rest of the photos, including the reverse light bracket I made and the fuse box. I bought some Ford-style mini fuse terminals and ground them into the correct shape. They fit into the blanks on the fuse box.

Name:	IMG_3554.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	310913

Name:	IMG_3555.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	310921

Name:	IMG_3537.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	310929

Name:	IMG_3538.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	310937

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	310945
    mjncad, RandyM, PaDave and 12 others like this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbfrancis3 For This Useful Post:

DarkwingDuckJr (05-16-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    I like the fact that your reverse light comes on automaticly. I had thought about doing this the same way then when I was laying it out on paper and testing the circut with my tester i realized that switch is how i have my RIO deactivated. so Ill wait till i have the mower on and try another way to disable the RIO then do the rear light
    Levi likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks

Lighting Mods

Nice work JB! Thanks for the post and great pics
    Merrell

- JD 1025R, R4's, H120 FEL w/ Kens Bolt-on Grab Hook/Clevis combo (awesome!), 60" autoconnect MMM, 36" forks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mdy1318 For This Useful Post:

jbfrancis3 (02-08-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 674 Posts

Well done!
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

jbfrancis3 (02-08-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

So, when the bottom switch is on, the reverse light only comes on when the reverse hydro pedal is pressed. When off, the reverse light doesn't ever come on. Here are the rest of the photos, including the reverse light bracket I made and the fuse box. I bought some Ford-style mini fuse terminals and ground them into the correct shape. They fit into the blanks on the fuse box.

For me the whole reason for having a rear light was so I could see what I was doing back there when I was off the tractor. Working in the dark at the back of the tractor was a pain with no light.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I like the fact that your reverse light comes on automaticly. I had thought about doing this the same way then when I was laying it out on paper and testing the circut with my tester i realized that switch is how i have my RIO deactivated. so Ill wait till i have the mower on and try another way to disable the RIO then do the rear light
    I'm a fan of the RIO disable at the PTO switch. Easier to get to, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    For me the whole reason for having a rear light was so I could see what I was doing back there when I was off the tractor. Working in the dark at the back of the tractor was a pain with no light.
    I hear you. Chalk it up to different requirements. I don't work off the tractor in the dark but but do a lot of mowing when the sun starts dropping. The mowing I do requires reversing from nooks. If we ever do get any snow this year, illumination of the path with reversing with the snowblower will be needed too.
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Excellent work.
    Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

The bottom switch is after a relay I added. The relay gets its 12V signal from the reverse switch. When the reverse pedal is pressed, the relay closes and provides power to the bottom switch. The circuit then runs to the rear of the tractor and powers a single rear-facing light I added (John Deere Light Kit LVB25547).
    I've been researching a similar project for my tractor and I also want the reverse pedal to turn on the back-up light. I did not see any mention in your write-up of a TVS diode across the relay coil in your circuit. When the voltage is removed from a coil, the collapsing field generates voltage spikes that can arc across the switch's contacts and, over time, degrade those contacts. The Transient Voltage Suppression diode clamps these spikes and therefore protects the switch contacts.

eepete has an excellent discussion on the TVS diodes in the GTT Technical Library: Relay Coil Free-Wheeling Diodes

The TVS diode I ordered for my project is available on Amazon. LINK HERE
    RandyM, Levi, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

14. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (02-10-2017)

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I've been researching a similar project for my tractor and I also want the reverse pedal to turn on the back-up light. I did not see any mention in your write-up of a TVS diode across the relay coil in your circuit. When the voltage is removed from a coil, the collapsing field generates voltage spikes that can arc across the switch's contacts and, over time, degrade those contacts. The Transient Voltage Suppression diode clamps these spikes and therefore protects the switch contacts.

eepete has an excellent discussion on the TVS diodes in the GTT Technical Library: Relay Coil Free-Wheeling Diodes

The TVS diode I ordered for my project is available on Amazon. LINK HERE
    Cool and thanks, I enjoyed eepete's posts. No, I did not consider this. Do the factory relays (fuel solenoid, starter, glow plug) have TVS diodes? I don't believe so but I haven't looked to verify. I understand the argument that the reverse relay activation frequency will outpace those of the factory relays. If I start eating up relays I will know where to turn next.
    keane likes this.

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Some relays have diodes built into them so no external one is needed.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast