When you aren't overly specific, this happens....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: When you aren't overly specific, this happens....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

When you aren't overly specific, this happens....

My trusty assistant added gas fuel stabilizer to a 5 gall can of diesel fuel. I caught it before it went into the tractor. Ideas????
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    60" Everything Attachments aerator
    Cyclone Rake (Original) w 3 pt hitch
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    ddinham, Daveb and LoneStranger like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    My trusty assistant added gas fuel stabilizer to a 5 gall can of diesel fuel. I caught it before it went into the tractor. Ideas????
    You are probably in uncharted territory. I would call the manufacturer of whichever product you used and see if they offer any advice. Maybe the fuel can still be used in a torpedo heater or in a home heating oil tank. At least in a 275 gallon heating oil tank it would be massively diluted.

To play it safe I certainly wouldn't use it in my tractor. Look on the bright side... it's only 5 gallons.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    That article talks about mixing gasoline with diesel which is bad news. The OP simply put gasoline stabilizer in the diesel. Which, while still potentially a problem I doubt it is as detrimental as gasoline itself. If it were me, I'd find another use for those 5-gallons of diesel.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That article talks about mixing gasoline with diesel which is bad news. The OP simply put gasoline stabilizer in the diesel. Which, while still potentially a problem I doubt it is as detrimental as gasoline itself. If it were me, I'd find another use for those 5-gallons of diesel.

Yes ....but what struck me as odd was the fact that it seemed even in very small amounts it (gas) could create issues.
    Assuming....that as a gas soluble product it may produce the same bad result?

I was surprized not to find much info on the subject as this has surely happened lots of times.

I'd use the fuel for burn pile starter or furnace oil ..or turn in to the hazmat day @ the recycle center.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I was surprized not to find much info on the subject as this has surely happened lots of times.
    Agree, I too was surprised there was little info available. As I mentioned earlier I think I would still give the manufacturer a call just to see what they have to say.
    Levi, Drifterbike and theduke like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If it were me, I'd find another use for those 5-gallons of diesel.
    Yep, like pouring it down a groundhog hole.
    Levi, tj1, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Look up the MSDS or SDS of the fuel stabilizer. This is assuming that you have the name and manufacture of it. The material safety data sheet might tell you what the stabilizer is chemically. If it is a mineral oil it might not matter for a diesel.
    Tomfive, Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    2009 5045E
    1985 650 4 WD
    Big Dog X-1060

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks
    If you run out of fuel with a VW diesel,, you can stop at the grocery store, and get a gallon of cooking oil, dump it in, and get to the next "gas/diesel" station.

No way I would worry about it.

People clean the french fry oil out of McD's, and burn it in diesels,,,

If you are really worried about it,, dilute it even further,,
    Tomfive, Levi, kjmk and 2 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Thanks
    how much are you talking about? a couple of oz? maybe 10-12oz? to the 5 gallons.
    I'd use it in my tractor.
    What I'd do was every time I filled up my tractor I'd pour maybe 1/2-1 gallon of the "bad" stuff in then fill the rest of the way with "good" stuff.
    Depending upon how much your fill up uses.
    I use about 7-10 gallons when I fill up my tractor so 1/2 to 1 gallon of "bad" stuff would not bother anything.
    My tractor has something like 12 gallon tank.

Diesel is not what I would call a very fussy fuel. Its not like your running Av gas.
    I get that most guys here are very fussy about their tractors and they probably treat them better than their wives.
    I get that but that much water in diesel diluted as I suggested would be no issue except maybe if it sat out in the winter.
    Tomfive, Levi, OldmanX and 1 others like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast