Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New 1023e overheating

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks

New 1023e overheating

I just bought a new 1023e tractor a few days ago. Today was the first day that I got to put it to the test. Used my bucket for moving limbs and piling them up. Did that for about 3hrs all in all pretty light work. I did not have any issues with overheating and the tractor performed great. I decided to mow some of the taller grass that I did not get to before last fall because my mower had a bearing go out. The grass was not really that tall also pretty thin and the grass was dead since it is February so easy to mow. After about 30 to 45 min I get engine overheating warning so I shut it down. It had a little debris on the filter in front of the radiator to took out screen and cleaned it also knocked a little grass off of the outside of the front of tractor. Could here what sounded like bubbling from the radiator. tStarted back up set to the correct rpm for mowing and 15 mins later overheated. Water level and coolant is fine Turned it off for a min then started back up still hot lowered rpms to lowest and let idle. After about 30 seconds the gauge started going down pretty fast like the thermostat opened up so I though it may be sticking. It's been mid 70's today and going to be mid 60's tomorrow and I'm going to try it again tomorrow but there should not be an overheating issue expecially in this cool weather. Has anyone else had an issue like this tractor has 4 hrs on it.
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and CADplans like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    Could have been just a stuck thermostat , especially since you cleaned the debris from the radiator screen . Keep us posted on what happens tomorrow when you run it again .

and
    etcallhome and Drifterbike like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    If the grill screen gets semi blocked, the engine will overheat. I check mine often when mowing tall grass or picking up leaves.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Check under the deck and make sure nothing has wrapped around the blades that could be causing enough drag to cause the engine to overheat. It's happened to me a couple times over the years.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    If it keeps happening and you don't see a reason I'd let the dealer take care of it.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Next time you go to use , check the coolant level in overflow and radiator before starting . Just to make sure it is OK.

I'm with you and I think Levi, a stuck thermostat and it opened up.

Another thought running tractor at 3200 RPM, so how fast were you running and were you in Low or High.

One time I mowed for 3-4 hrs in tall grass and had mine to over heat.. I kept thinking I needed to stop and clear front and screen in front of transmission cooler . When it happened mower shut down ,,now what . So I set tractor to idle ,got off .cleaned off outer grill, raised the hood and cleaned the small screen , like you a few seconds later temp gauge started lowering.
    Levi, Ray_PA and Drifterbike like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Hi there,

Just an add to the good advice from others...if your temp is ever getting too high, do NOT shut the engine off (unless it is basically coming apart).

You are much better off stopping, reducing engine to idle, clear the debris screen on the radiator and let it idle while it cools down. Shutting off an overheating engine can create serious hot-spots in parts of the engine as the coolant stops circulating. They will actually tell you to always let a diesel cool down at a lower rpm after you've been working it hard.

As others said, before you start it next time take off the radiator cap and make sure it's full, and make sure the overflow bottle is full. If your cutting deep grass, stop occasionally to clean the radiator screen. I only mow in low gear.

Let us know it goes,

Levi, Ray_PA, keane and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I carry a battery operated leaf blower with me on the tractor when I mow. If I see the temp gauge start to go up, I reduce the throttle to idle and disengage the PTO to remove the load. Then I get off the tractor (with it still running) and blow the front grill completely clean and then do the same for the radiator filter screen. By the time I get back on the tractor, the temp is already coming back down. As soon as it's "normal" I resume mowing.
    Levi, Ray_PA and AJgrn78 like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Thanks
    Most diesels I have run are "cooling system limited",,
    meaning the engine can supply more power than the cooling system can dissipate the resultant heat.

I like the idea of something possibly wrapped around a spindle,,
    resulting in too much load on the engine.

I almost think they design the radiators small,, so the engine is not overloaded.
    Levi likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

12. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    The 1 series and pretty much all tractors have more than plenty cooling capacity. Overheating is almost always a radiator blockage issue. With the tractor being this new, it could be a mechanical issue with the engine such as a bad thermostat or even the water pump. Most likely with the dead grass, it's plugging the radiator. Use a leaf blower to blow the radiator out from the engine side towards the front to dislodge the grass. The removable screen should have the vast majority of it. The grill will also catch a lot of the debris. If you notice your tractor is growing a "beard", watch your temp gauge and clean your screens often.
    Levi likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast