• 2 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 2 Post By John Deere 1025R TLB

Thread: 1025R low coolant

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

1025R low coolant

All, my 1025R coolant reservoir's top is covered with what looks like dried up/heated up coolant, and the reservoir itself has a barely detectable amount of coolant in it, actually an amount below the level of the "draw" tube.

Have not had any high temp readings, but haven't used the machine in a couple months and it's coooold here in Upstate NY.

Aside from the reservoir level, is there a way to make sure there is coolant in the radiator? Also is it true I can't use the "green" antifreeze to top this off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts
    You can remove the radiator cap and verify that the radiator tank is full.

If the overflow tank looks funky remove it and flush it out.

As for which coolant to use, the operator's manual has the following information on coolant:

Recommended Engine Coolant

The engine cooling system is filled to provide year-round protection against corrosion and cylinder liner pitting, and winter freeze protection to -37 degrees C (-34 degrees F). If protection at lower temperatures is required, consult your John Deere dealer for recommendations.

• The following coolants are preferred:
    • John Deere COOL-GARD™ II Premix
    • John Deere COOL-GARD™ II PG Premix

Use John Deere COOL-GARD II PG Premix when a non-toxic coolant formulation is required.
    The following engine coolant is also recommended:

• John Deere COOL-GARD™ II Concentrate in a 40—60% mixture of concentrate with quality water.

John Deere COOL-GARD II Premix, COOL-GARD II PG Premix, and COOL-GARD II Concentrate coolants do not require use of supplemental coolant additives.
    Other Coolants
    John Deere COOL-GARD II and COOL-GARD II PG coolants might not be available in the geographical area where service is performed.
    If these coolants are unavailable, use a coolant concentrate or pre-diluted coolant intended for use with heavy duty diesel engines and with a minimum of the following chemical and physical properties:

• Is formulated with a quality nitrite-free additive package.
    • Provides cylinder liner cavitation protection according to either the John Deere Cavitation Test Method or a fleet study run at or above 60% load capacity.
    • Protects the cooling system metals (cast iron, aluminum alloys, and copper alloys such as brass) from corrosion.

The additive package must be part of one of the following coolant mixtures:

• Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol base prediluted (40—60%) heavy duty coolant.
    • Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol base heavy duty coolant concentrate in a 40—60% mixture of concentrate with quality water.

Water Quality

• Water quality is important to the performance of the cooling system. Distilled, deionized, or demineralized water is recommended for mixing with ethylene glycol and propylene glycol base engine coolant concentrate.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not use cooling system sealing additives or antifreeze that contains sealing additives.Do not mix ethylene glycol and propylene glycol base coolants.
    Do not use coolants that contain nitrates.
    Last edited by jgayman; 02-13-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-14-2017), jermedic (02-13-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-16-2017 @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    My tank was also empty. I filled it today to the cold line with the premix coolant coolgaurd 2 I picked up at my dealer today. Used about a half pint out of the gallon I had to buy...
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Check your radiator clamps. They love to wiggle loose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. The Following User Says Thank You to John Deere 1025R TLB For This Useful Post:

jermedic (02-14-2017)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    All, my 1025R coolant reservoir's top is covered with what looks like dried up/heated up coolant, and the reservoir itself has a barely detectable amount of coolant in it, actually an amount below the level of the "draw" tube.

Have not had any high temp readings, but haven't used the machine in a couple months and it's coooold here in Upstate NY.

Aside from the reservoir level, is there a way to make sure there is coolant in the radiator? Also is it true I can't use the "green" antifreeze to top this off?
    That tanks job is to keep the system full. Like anything coolant expands when heated and contracts as it cools. If your tank was almost empty at say 60-70 degrees the temperature dropping below freezing could have sucked the last of it into the system. If the system has any leaks it will eventually drain the expansion tank. How fast this happens depends on the size of the leak.

I'd recommend using the premixed JD coolant. This way you don't have to worry about getting the proper water to coolant mix. Any number of bad things can happen from mixing 2 or more different coolants. The most common problem is shortening the life expectancy or change interval.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

jermedic (02-14-2017)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Actually HD it serves another purpose. It also keeps air out of the system. The less oxygen introduced into the cooling system the better. Oxidation of iron, aluminum and even the coolant is much reduced.

BigJim55 and H-D dealer dude like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    Actually HD it serves another purpose. It also keeps air out of the system. The less oxygen introduced into the cooling system the better. Oxidation of iron, aluminum and even the coolant is much reduced.

Yes air in the system doesn't help the engine stay cool either. It could overheat under normal operating conditions.

That's another thing I forgot to mention about mixing different brands/types of coolant. The corrosion inhibitors may not work as designed.

Also tap water should never be mixed like 50/50 with concentrated anti freeze. Use distilled or just buy the pre mixed stuff.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements