• 5 Post By John 54
  • 4 Post By Ray_PA

Thread: Weird No-Start Problem 1026R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks

Weird No-Start Problem 1026R

I had a cab installed on my 1026R tractor. All was working fine until one day my tractor would not shut off. I left the key off and disconnected the battery and finally it shut off. Well I got out my test light and tested the wires heading to the solenoid and found that there was still power going to the fuel solenoid even after the key was shut off. So logically I thought it must be a faulty ignition switch. So down to the dealer I went and purchased a new switch. Well I installed the switch today and same problem. The power will not shut off to the solenoid when the key is shut off. Has anyone had this problem. If so please help. Also if anyone is aware of a relay that could be sticking that might be the problem too. I have checked all the relays attached to the fuse box but they all seem to be working properly. See what I mean. Weird Problem. Its like the tractor has gremlins.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    Check to see if whoever installed your cab tapped into your wiring somewhere for lights, heater, etc.
    They may have, and may be bypassing and completing a circuit somehow.
    Levi likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    Did the continued running issue start immediately after the new cab was installed or at a later time (hours, day, days, weeks) I agree based on your write up the wiring to your Cab is affecting the tractor. We all ass/u/me there is a electrical hook up going to the cab?
    Levi likes this.
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Thinking the same thing , if cab has lights or wiper connection check to see where the connections were made.

The other day I posted my 1025 r would not start. Checked the Red- yellow wires on top of transmission. Nope not the problem. after contacting shop foreman many times and he's checking the service manual . I found that if I Lift the PTO switch on the dash with tractor in L or H , would see turn off PTO in dash display . Push the PTO button down , put tractor in N , tractor would start. OK he and I are thinking the switch is going bad.
    Fast forward to yesterday, had a few minutes decided to push the switch out and go get a new one. Get my light so I can maybe see what I'm doing. I notice what looks like a jumper wire...What.. For some stupid reason I put a jumper wire on my RIO switch and had forgotten about doing this. Only trouble I didn't need to do this because the switch under the floor board was taken care of when I first got my tractor.

Removed the jumper wire all seem well, Well tractor started OK .
    Levi, romcjr and Drifterbike like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    I won't say anything disparaging..... It happens.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Hi Rick1010101
    What was the voltage going to the solenoid? I had an irrigation pump (small diesel) that would not stop when the engine was turned off, I removed the main fuse still would not stop, so I disconnected the solenoid the engine stopped. I restarted the engine and again removed the main fuse and checked the voltage to the shutoff solenoid and found between 3 and 4 volts. The problem was the wire to the shutoff solenoid was run with the wire from the alternator to the battery via the starter motor and that wire was inducing a voltage in the wire to the shut off solenoid, that voltage was just enough to hold the shutoff solenoid in.
    Regards John

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    Although I cannot be certain why your tractor is not shutting off when you turn the key off, I suspect it is because the fuel solenoid relay is remaining activated when the key is in the run position.

The fuel solenoid circuit is not directly connected to the key switch. The fuel solenoid relay and fuel solenoid are directly controlled by the ICC.

The fuel solenoid has two coils in it. One is a "pull in" coil and the other is the "hold in" coil.

So, when you turn the key to on, if all safety switches are in the proper position, the ICC turns power on to the "hold in" coil. When the ignition is turned to start, the ICC turns power on to the fuel solenoid relay coil which activates the relay. The relay then supplies 12VDC power to the fuel solenoid "pull in" coil.
    The pull in coil pulls the fuel solenoid to open and the engine starts. Once the engine starts and the ignition is allowed to return to run, the fuel solenoid relay should deactivate which will drop the power to the fuel solenoid "pull in" coil.

Because the ICC is directly supplying power to the fuel solenoid "hold in" coil", the engine keeps running.

When the key is turned off, the ICC should drop power to the fuel solenoid "hold in" coil which stops the engine.

So, why isn't your engine shutting off when turning the key off. I would say most likely and for some reason, the fuel solenoid relay is staying activated which is continuing to power the pull in coil on the fuel solenoid. Because the power supply to the fuel solenoid relay is hot all the time (even with the key off), if the fuel solenoid relay is staying activated, the engine will keep running, even with the key off.

What I would do to test.
    1. locate the fuel solenoid relay in the fuse box.
    2. state the engine like normal
    3. after the engine starts, pull the fuel solenoid relay out of the socket. The engine should keep running.
    4. turn off the ignition. If the engine stops, the problem is in the fuel solenoid relay activation circuit or the fuel solenoid relay is burnt closed.

To test the relay with an ohm meter, you can check continuity between terminals 30 and 87. With no power to the relay, these two terminals should be open. if they are not, the relay is burnt closed. Problem found, replace the relay.
    If it is not burnt closed, then for some reason the ICC on the tractor is holding power on terminal 86 of the relay.

To test, go though the same process as above. When you pull the relay out of the socket (step 3), connect your multi-meter positive lead to terminal 86 in the relay socket and the ground lead to terminal 85 in the relay socket. Determine if there is voltage present. If there is, then keep the positive lead in terminal 86 and ground the meter to a good frame ground. If you loose the voltage, something is back feeding power into the ground side of the socket. If there is still voltage present, then, for some reason, the ICC is continuing to feed power to the relay terminal 86.

I don't know if this problem has a direct relationship to the cab install, but I wouldn't count it out.

Good Luck!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1026R Ele. Sch_1_Ink_Ink_LI.jpg   Bosch relay terminal layout.png  
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-15-2017), etcallhome (02-14-2017), Foggy Bottom (02-15-2017)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements