Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 260 boom way too fast!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2018 @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks

260 boom way too fast!

Hello, I just installed my brand new 260 backhoe on my 2305. I have read before where people complained about the speed and rapid/jerky movement of the boom. I have operated different backhoes in the past and owned one for 33 years so I chalked this up to inexperienced operators, WRONG! lol, this thing is all over the place. You can control it if you move the stick super slow then increase or decrease the input but that's just silly and non productive. I thought I remembered someone talking about installing a valve or a restrictor orifice. any ideas? Also the attaching pins to the sub frame have an excessive amount of clearance and when going from down pressure to dig to raising the boom it bangs hard. I think I will tack shims I mill to size to the sub frame rather than to bush and bore, any ideas or experience on that? Thank you in advance for any help.
    eosenga

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    My only backhoe experience is with the 260 so I have no point of comparison otherwise. What I do is run the backhoe at slow idle until I gain a little muscle memory operating the controls then slowly ramp up the rpm to get a quicker response without banging the boom around. Since the digging force at 1500 rpm is the same at 2400 rpm, and only the cycle speed changes when you throttle up, I just keep the rpms down for more precise control. It does mean that it takes longer, but I could spend all day digging holes.
    etcallhome, bones, OxPath and 3 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

slow down 260 bh

Quote Originally Posted by eosenga View Post
    Hello, I just installed my brand new 260 backhoe on my 2305. I have read before where people complained about the speed and rapid/jerky movement of the boom. I have operated different backhoes in the past and owned one for 33 years so I chalked this up to inexperienced operators, WRONG! lol, this thing is all over the place. You can control it if you move the stick super slow then increase or decrease the input but that's just silly and non productive. I thought I remembered someone talking about installing a valve or a restrictor orifice. any ideas? Also the attaching pins to the sub frame have an excessive amount of clearance and when going from down pressure to dig to raising the boom it bangs hard. I think I will tack shims I mill to size to the sub frame rather than to bush and bore, any ideas or experience on that? Thank you in advance for any help.
    If you get a good solution, I'd like to know it. Operating at or just off idle to 1500rpm works best for me, but it's slow.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks
    You can simply install a throttle valve,,,
    or a blind fitting, with an appropriate size hole drilled, in one line.

For the non-every day user,,, these both give good results.

Both cause a little oil heating, but, if you are not all day digging,,,
    it does not matter.
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks
    Absolutely, they are not a large backhoe, but honestly, after you run it for a while and let yourself get used to it, you will get pretty good with it. I have used mine quite a bit and now have zero problems. IMHO these backhoes are no different than any other piece of equipment, you have to get used to it. I have operated every type of equipment, including cranes, and have yet to find two of the same type from different mfg. that operate the same. They just don't.
    It is up to you as to what you want to do. Orificing constant hydraulic flow on a supply line is not a good idea as it will create tremendous amounts of heat in the oil. If you do install and orifice, it should be in the work ports.
    RandyM, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Absolutely, they are not a large backhoe, but honestly, after you run it for a while and let yourself get used to it, you will get pretty good with it. I have used mine quite a bit and now have zero problems. IMHO these backhoes are no different than any other piece of equipment, you have to get used to it. I have operated every type of equipment, including cranes, and have yet to find two of the same type from different mfg. that operate the same. They just don't.
    It is up to you as to what you want to do. Orificing constant hydraulic flow on a supply line is not a good idea as it will create tremendous amounts of heat in the oil. If you do install and orifice, it should be in the work ports.
    I agree with Ray.
    I have been an operator for over 30 years.
    The 260 is a dink that has one swing cylinder, etc. You just need the seat time with it or throttle it down a little.
    I love it for what it is....MINE!
    bones, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    Try to always boom with a secondary function - IMO this is why the boom is so fast when no other functions are running, they gave it more flow to allow for secondary operations.

Put a little time in the seat and it will become second nature. What you really have to watch out for is when you are getting good at it and run out of/quit travel on the secondary while booming up!!! You'll swear that boom is coming for your forehead not to mention the "clank" at the end of travel and debris emptying from your bucket onto your lap!

It's not a construction hoe, it is a tinker toy...but man does it beat a shovel and wheelbarrow!
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Will say it again, the #46 BH does the same thing. Compared to my older #7 BH the #46 is a BIG disappointment. Shame on John Deere.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
    Try to always boom with a secondary function - IMO this is why the boom is so fast when no other functions are running, they gave it more flow to allow for secondary operations.

Put a little time in the seat and it will become second nature. What you really have to watch out for is when you are getting good at it and run out of/quit travel on the secondary while booming up!!! You'll swear that boom is coming for your forehead not to mention the "clank" at the end of travel and debris emptying from your bucket onto your lap!

It's not a construction hoe, it is a tinker toy...but man does it beat a shovel and wheelbarrow!
    Yep.
    Out of all of the functions the boom jump is the most annoying to me.
    You notice it when you are trying to hold a ditch grade and it wants to pop up.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    I agree with Ray.
    I have been an operator for over 30 years.
    The 260 is a dink that has one swing cylinder, etc. You just need the seat time with it or throttle it down a little.
    I love it for what it is....MINE!
    I can just imagine how frustrating this is. All I've ever run are full size excavators and backhoes. When I was an instructor I insisted on smooth movements once the basics were learned.

Heck - I am still trying to get used to the non-self leveling bucket on my loader after 8 years.
    eosenga likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast