JD 1025R owners, be honest- and talk me out of it!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: JD 1025R owners, be honest- and talk me out of it!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-27-2018 @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks

JD 1025R owners, be honest- and talk me out of it!

I may looking to upgrade, I have 3 acres (mostly flat) and I'm looking to upgrade from my 318 (I'm still keeping it). I like all the MCUT's but the reality is my property doesn't warrant it. So I'm looking for a SCUT, and the 1025R seems like something I might be interested in. Keep in mind I'm a cheap cheap SOB, so I'd rather buy ONCE and live happily ever after.

Naturally I've been looking at Kubota, Kioti, and a few others. So lend me your experience, as 20/20 is always hindsight. . . .
    Gizmo2, Levi and ilmo like this.
    Tractor(s):

83 John Deere 318 (SOLD)
    17 Cub Cadet XT1- LT46

Implements:

John Deere 54 Hydraulic Front Blade (SOLD)
    John Deere 15 (0|Cat) Single Plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    I went through this in July I had a 420 I have had since it was new. I looked all around and went with the 1025r. The koiti and mahindra I looked at I thought were just older technology, and the closest dealer for Mahindra was 80 miles and the Koiti dealer was a small mom and pop 110 miles away and when you walked in it was like stepping into the 40's. On the Kabota BX models I was not comfortable on. I also like the convenience of the auto connect deck and the easy park H120. The one thing I am not thrilled with is the quick hitch for the plow. I feel it's a little weak. I also thought the 54" blade was a little small because it's the same size I had on the 420 so when I ordered mine I just got the quick hitch and ordered the 60" blade from CTA. A few recommendations make sure you get a quick attach on the H120 not a pin bucket and a 53" bucket not the 49" I went with the R4 tires. Good luck
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quick attach bucket and 260 backhoe..so 1025R FLB.
    No mower deck because you have one.
    Wasn't that easy?
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, Tomfive and 7 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blue87fj60 For This Useful Post:

jphavener (02-17-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:12 AM
    Thanks
    Upgrade for 3 acres....no brainner, the size you are thinking about is perfect, many use them on a lot less and a lot more.
    I urge you to try all brands out....lots of good ones out there at different price points, and don't forget lightly used...the hunt is 1/2 the fun....I have a green 2305 and a red 2516, love them both. See what fits you best , as you mentioned a long term purchase. At a minimum get a loader...best of luck. We are pros at spending
    Levi, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    What is the primary purpose of the tractor, mowing or tractor work? If you are going to keep the 318 for mowing then consider not getting a mower deck and use that money saved for other attachments you might use or maybe go buy a used zero turn. If all you do is mow, then consider a zero turn and use the 318 for the tractor work you might need.

While a BH is handy if you have not used one since you have been on your property, you probably won't need it and can rent one if you do in the future.

You may want to consider a 1023e and save a few $$ over the 1025r. My friend has a 1023e and really likes it. He looked at both and chose the 1023e due to the cheaper price and the fact that it met his needs. I have used it and it is a nice tractor.
    Levi, ilmo and Drifterbike like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    I have gone through this looking several times and have also really looked at Kubota versus John Deere. Just take a look at the rear axles and you can see just how much more heavy duty the John Deere is. In addition, it literally only takes about 2-3 minutes to attach or detach the front end loader. Would definitely go with the quick bucket option and consider getting pallet forks if you have brush, rocks or other stuff to move.

I had an x739 with a mower deck, leaf bagger, front power shovel, rear blade and snow blower. I traded it in for a 1025R and kept the rear blade. My wife said to me why didn't I do this a long time ago. You gotta love it when you get her approval.

The front end loader is the biggest thing that I use besides the mower deck and leaf bagger. It is so nice to have on a wooded 4.5 acre lot with lots of dead trees and brush to clean up every year.

This is a tractor that you can have for years and years and will find new uses for it over time. Good luck.
    etcallhome, Levi, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    2016 1025R with FEL and 53" bucket, 54" Ratchet Rake, 54" Mid Mount Mower with Quick Attachment, iMatch, 14 CU Material Collection Attachment and blower, 60" Blade, iMatch, Jamieson Bryce iMatch attachment, 125 pound Electric spreader with iMatch bracket

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IRQVET View Post
    I may looking to upgrade, I have 3 acres (mostly flat) and I'm looking to upgrade from my 318 (I'm still keeping it). I like all the MCUT's but the reality is my property doesn't warrant it. So I'm looking for a SCUT, and the 1025R seems like something I might be interested in. Keep in mind I'm a cheap cheap SOB, so I'd rather buy ONCE and live happily ever after.

Naturally I've been looking at Kubota, Kioti, and a few others. So lend me your experience, as 20/20 is always hindsight. . . .
    I wish I could get the new 2032r or 2038r. No need to talk you out of a 1025, just into a 2032!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55, ilmo and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    I started looking at a used x749 as I wanted something with a front wheel drive assist, desired to retain AWS, and it would support a loader (according to posts on MTF). Long story short, it was adding up to a lot for a used tractor by the time I outfitted it with rear PTO, 3-point, etc. I wasn't really considering new, but the $99/month advertisement caught my attention with the 0% financing.

Then the big mistake, I started reading this forum for opinions/reviews. The posters here are very high skilled professionals at helping you spend money. So, I thought I was finally done when I ordered the 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" mower, 47" snow blower, and a Cozy Cab--$25.5K.

You think I would have learned and have quit browsing this forum. Some of just can't keep our fingers out of the car door jamb. I continued reading.....and what did I do this week? I changed the order and added the backhoe. Now were up to $30K.

My bride was quick to point out that I didn't spend that much on her previous new car (she didn't mention the one she just got last spring, however). At least I'm not sleeping on the couch----yet. However, we haven't got down to the non-JD items yet: forks, grapple, thumb, weights, weight bracket. This stuff is adding up to another $5K.

So be careful of what the "home wreckers" here tell you.......
    Kennyd, RandyM, Gizmo2 and 21 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-17-2017)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I started looking at a used x749 as I wanted something with a front wheel drive assist, desired to retain AWS, and it would support a loader (according to posts on MTF). Long story short, it was adding up to a lot for a used tractor by the time I outfitted it with rear PTO, 3-point, etc. I wasn't really considering new, but the $99/month advertisement caught my attention with the 0% financing.

Then the big mistake, I started reading this forum for opinions/reviews. The posters here are very high skilled professionals at helping you spend money. So, I thought I was finally done when I ordered the 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" mower, 47" snow blower, and a Cozy Cab--$25.5K.

You think I would have learned and have quit browsing this forum. Some of just can't keep our fingers out of the car door jamb. I continued reading.....and what did I do this week? I changed the order and added the backhoe. Now were up to $30K.

My bride was quick to point out that I didn't spend that much on her previous new car (she didn't mention the one she just got last spring, however). At least I'm not sleeping on the couch----yet. However, we haven't got down to the non-JD items yet: forks, grapple, thumb, weights, weight bracket. This stuff is adding up to another $5K.

So be careful of what the "home wreckers" here tell you.......
    Hey!...we resemble those remarks.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green02crew View Post
    I wish I could get the new 2032r or 2038r. No need to talk you out of a 1025, just into a 2032!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I started looking at SCUTs (2305 I think) for my 5 acres. Then decided to look at MCUTs (a 2520) and finally bought an LCUT (3520). I do NOT regret spending the extra money for the extra tractor one bit!!

I'm sure that had I bought the 2305 I would have been perfectly happy. But I do like having the 3520 as it gives me more "options" to do things that might cause the smaller tractor to struggle.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast