• 1 Post By 69project
  • 3 Post By RayG

Thread: 2210 Neutral Switch Issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-25-2018 @ 07:54 AM
    Thanks

2210 Neutral Switch Issues

Problems started with tractor being able to start out of neutral.
    Today Tractor would not start. Some suggested Battery so I eliminated that first by boosting it.

While holding the key in start position, moving the selector to Hi and back to Neutral just so and the Started kicked in.

But even in neutral I cannot get off the seat as it thinks the tractor is in gear.

So I conclude faulty (or dirty) Neutral switch? Thoughts?

My problem is that I cannot readily see the switch near the lever pivot pivot on the right hand side behind the rear wheel (at least I assume its there from the parts diagram I saw).
    Seems it might be behind the frame.

Q: Has anyone changed it and if I remove the rear right tire do I stand a chance of getting at it without too much trouble? Does anyone have a procedure they can send me in a PM? Seems simple to replace if I can access the part.

Thanks for your help

...Ray
    2004 2210 54" Deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Problems started with tractor being able to start out of neutral.
    Today Tractor would not start. Some suggested Battery so I eliminated that first by boosting it.

While holding the key in start position, moving the selector to Hi and back to Neutral just so and the Started kicked in.

But even in neutral I cannot get off the seat as it thinks the tractor is in gear.

So I conclude faulty (or dirty) Neutral switch? Thoughts?

My problem is that I cannot readily see the switch near the lever pivot pivot on the right hand side behind the rear wheel (at least I assume its there from the parts diagram I saw).
    Seems it might be behind the frame.

Q: Has anyone changed it and if I remove the rear right tire do I stand a chance of getting at it without too much trouble? Does anyone have a procedure they can send me in a PM? Seems simple to replace if I can access the part.

Thanks for your help

...Ray
    2004 2210 54" Deck
    Lift the seat disconnect the seat switch , put a jumper wire on wires coming to switch. Now check to see if tractor will start.

Just a thought.
    Levi, BigJim55, johnH123 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Lift the seat disconnect the seat switch , put a jumper wire on wires coming to switch. Now check to see if tractor will start.

Just a thought.
    I will certainly try that but am not hopeful. I can start the tractor if I am sitting on the seat and find a sweet spot with the shift lever just around neutral.
    If I get up from the seat the tractor will turn off (normal behaviour of the circuit if the neutral switch is off)
    I conclude from this behaviour, that the neutral switch is defective stay on only on long enough to allow the starter to kick in but does not stay that way for long.

Has anyone had to replace or reset the neutral switch on this model? I am wondering how hard it is to get to.

Thanks
    ...Ray

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Here is the check procedure from my 2305 manual. I did not see anything in the manual to suggest there is an adjustment. I am pretty sure it is the same as your 2210. I suggest that you do remove the wheel for easier access. Also, there is a check procedure in your Operator's Manual to test all of the safety switches. I think you'll just have to tear into as I don't think that it should be too difficult to get at. I hope some of this helps, good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I hope some of this helps, good luck.
    Thanks very much Randy I will do that soon and let people know what happened so we can close this thread out with a happy ending.
    ...Ray
    RandyM likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Removing the wheel will give you some access and it's worth a shot but you may have to remove the seat pan. That is a bit of a PIA because you have to remove the ROPS. My experience with my 2210 is just go ahead and bite the bullet and remove the pan if you have to anything that is underneath it. That is one issue, I have not had with mine. Please keep us posted on how it goes.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Fixed

It was the neutral switch in the end, just needed connections sanded on the switch side and connector.
    Switch is located on the right hand side, low enough that your best to remove the Right Rear Tire.
    There is an access hole in the frame.
    Grab connector with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide it towards reat of tractor to disconnec.
    Switch is removed with (don't quote me on this) a 22MM deep socket I believe.
    Sanding connector and the posts on the switch and the multi-meter showed NC in Neutral (Ball out) and Open in gear.
    Photos attached to pay it forward. Once you've figured it out is seems so easy.
    Thanks for your help
    ...Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6376.JPG IMG_6375.JPG IMG_6374.JPG IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6381.JPG

etcallhome, gbnpp05 and simers like this.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayG For This Useful Post:

etcallhome(05-06-2017), gbnpp05(05-14-2017)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-15-2017 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    It was the neutral switch in the end, just needed connections sanded on the switch side and connector.
    Switch is located on the right hand side, low enough that your best to remove the Right Rear Tire.
    There is an access hole in the frame.
    Grab connector with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide it towards reat of tractor to disconnec.
    Switch is removed with (don't quote me on this) a 22MM deep socket I believe.
    Sanding connector and the posts on the switch and the multi-meter showed NC in Neutral (Ball out) and Open in gear.
    Photos attached to pay it forward. Once you've figured it out is seems so easy.
    Thanks for your help
    ...Ray
    I'm having issues with my tractor not starting, it just died on me as I was getting ready to remove a stump, spun the seat around, slid it back to give me more leg room, and bam, died! I'll check this switch today, you never know, thanks Simers....
    Simers
    2014 1025r
    Loader/Backhoe
    59' forward Snow Blower
    4' front mount pallet forks
    4' paver box, with tines, forward, & rear cutting edges

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simers View Post
    I'm having issues with my tractor not starting, it just died on me as I was getting ready to remove a stump, spun the seat around, slid it back to give me more leg room, and bam, died! I'll check this switch today, you never know, thanks Simers....
    If it just stopped while in gear or with PTO on I would suspect the switch under the seat. Its easy to test for that by simply disconnecting that connector under the seat and using a wire to complete the circuit (as if you were seated) . If the tractor runs then its z faulty seat safety switch or conneciton.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements