Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: New gravel driveway install with a 1025R and backblade/FEL

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks

New gravel driveway install with a 1025R and backblade/FEL

Hi all, I'm going to install a new gravel driveway on virgin soil with my 1025R

My plan will be to use my box blade with scarifiers fully deployed and angled forward for maximum bite, dig approximately six inches

I was thinking about using my FEL backdragging to compact the earth under the topsoil, but have been advised that a mechanical gas powered compactor would produce the desired results

Then fill in with #2 crushed stone and run FEL backdrag over that (or mechanical compactor)

Thoughts? Has anyone put in a driveway with their SCUT? Also have a rear blade and landscape rake and backhoe available as needed
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    How long and wide is the driveway?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    How long and wide is the driveway?
    8-10 foot wide, 600 feet long
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    You mentioned 6 inches, but you would have to take all the topsoil off in order for the base to hold up. For example my soil was 20" deep so all was removed then 12" of base was added and then 8" of gravel on top of that. So if your soil is actually deeper than 6" your work may just sink into the soil.
    OxPath, BigJim55, Marlin and 3 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pcabe5 For This Useful Post:

jermedic (02-22-2017)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    8-10 foot wide, 600 feet long
    Cutting and moving a hundred yards of topsoil with a 10 series and then replacing it with rock will keep you entertained for a while! I did a similar size driveway and RV parking area with my 3320 and it took most of a summer.
    Last edited by eric102; 02-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    bob, pcabe5, OxPath and 3 others like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    I just put in mine with a 2210. It is probably 12 feet wide by 200 or feet long. It turned out pretty good but I wouldn't say it is perfect nor is it too any sort of standard. You can use a SCUT to do this but probably the best machine to do this type of job is a tracked skid steer. They are heavy enough to compact the gravel and it appears a skid steer bucket does a much better job of smoothing things out.

I attempted to use a box blade to level things out prior to spreading gravel but I had mixed results at best. I eventually used some clay-sand to fill my low spots then compacted it with my 4 foot steel roller. I came back and spread several inches of crush & run on the clay-sand and called it a day. It looks decent and is holding up well. I will need to add more crush and run over time but I can do that at my leisure. The important part is I have a driveway that isn't a mud pit. I used my bucket for back dragging and spreading the gravel. I did not use anything else. The only problems with using a SCUT for this is your FEL loads are small and the tractor doesn't weigh enough to use it to get good compaction.

I would start surfing You Tube as there a lot of videos on this subject, some better than others. Remember though you need to build the drive according to your local conditions and what your wallet can afford so it might not be quite the same as what you see on the videos. Also there are a fair amount on this subject in the sub-forums that talk about land etc. Good luck with your project.
    pcabe5, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

BMOPE (02-23-2017)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    I have put in several driveways and parking lots over the years with tractors so it absolutely can be done without an arsenal of equipment. Although the general ideal is the same, different regions are simply just that, different. 3-6" is pretty much the norm on what we have to cut to lay a base around here. Use your loader and box blade to get a base down and generally spread. Since you have a blade, spin the blade around and pull it backwards and it will level fairly nice. Drive on it for a couple weeks to month then have your crush spread by the trucks. They can spread it and the tailgate will most likely get it more level than you will with a tractor and blade. Once the trucks have spread it use the blade to fine tune. You can use a cheaper material for a base and that will cut down on how much crushed you will need and most folks don't complain about saving some cash.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks

SCUT works

I have 3 driveways 10-12' wide that in total are close to 700' long. I used my 1025R with blade box and fel to spread 6 twelve ton loads of gravel. I had the deliveries spread out so I didnt have huge piles. I had the trucks spread the dumps so all iI had to do was spread it evenly and level it. This is over clay soil. It takes time, but certainly not all summer. I did it in 4 long days with plenty of fuel for the tractor and water for me. A heavy skid steer would be faster, but I have the 1025R, not a skid steer. A rented plate compactor really helps, but a heavy SUV with wide tires works OK, especially if the gravel us wet down in layers as you level it. Wet it as you go, no matter what. You'll be on the tractor a long time. Wear earplugs.
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 02-23-2017 at 12:39 AM.
    North585, pcabe5, Levi and 6 others like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I re graveled my driveway with 1025 and box blade tipped all the way forward (short top link). This allowed the 3/4" crushed stone to flow smoothly under the blade.
    For most of the driveway I just backed up to the pile with the box blade all the way up then dropped it into the pile and pulled up the drive.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Thanks
    Rent a small riding vibratory compactor to compact the soil and gravel. They are easy and fun to operate and the job they do is worth the bucks.

Make sure there is enough 'fines' in the gravel so the stuff locks together tightly.
    pcabe5, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast