Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Minor mulch kit issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks

Minor mulch kit issue

Thanks for all the welcomes - now you can help with a minor mulch kit issue. I put the kit on and it appeared to be adjusted correctly on the ground, but when I tried to run it on the mower I could hear the left blade hitting it. I'll be able to figure that out. But I can't figure out why I can no longer bring the mowing deck up to the highest mowing height. I can get it to about 3/4 of the way up, and no higher.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Are you talking about the John Deere mulching kit, #BM20827 ?

I put one on my 54" deck last year. Make sure the underside of the deck is free of packed on dry grass. You want is clean.... I have very sandy soil so the bottom of mine is usually sandblasted clean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6510.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	403.4 KB 
ID:	319314

There isn't a lot of extra room under there.... Note how close the blades are to the plastic...

Name:	DSCF7625.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	319330

Did you get the left edge secured with the little clip...?

Name:	DSCF6518 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	319322

As far as the deck not lifting high enough, check out the thread near the top of the page... "Sticky: 1026R 1025R 1023E 1 series mower setup and adjustment".. There's a ton of good info about how to set the decks up correctly...

Good luck,
    keane likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me

I read your sticky with pictures - it was well done. I believe I did all that correctly, and there doesn't seem to be any interference when I turn the blades by hand when the deck is disconnected. But when I hook it up and run the mid PTO there is something knocking on the left side. I'll have another look at it tomorrow. The deck was properly adjusted before I took it off to put the mulch kit on - I didn't think removing it would take it out of adjustment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    I have the same kit on my deck and have not used it as of yet . Please let us know if you find the issue . And you know that ....

Good luck with finding the problem !!!

And Welcome from Texas !!!
    Last edited by romcjr; 02-26-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

I'm baaaaaaccccckkkkkkkkk

I've had the mower deck off twice more and adjusted the mulch kit and both times the blades swing quietly and freely by hand. But when I put the deck back on the tractor there is a hellacious noise that sounds like the blades hitting the kit. My next trick will be to remove the kit and see what happens, but before I do that, is there some secret handshake that the mower deck and the PTO have to go through when I reconnect the deck? I've seen a lot of videos and haven't seen anything like that.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    I've noticed a different sound between kit and no kit. Never an interference like sound, but louder for sure. The J-D mulching kit is plastic, if the blades were actually hitting something, there would be some visible damage to the plastic baffles. Do you notice any?

What exactly is the issue you're having with the drive-over-auto- connect? I can have a heck of a time getting the deck to latch if I'm doing it on concrete, but all locks up fine if I do it in the grass. Others have said to put the PTO selector in the rear position so the mid output shaft can turn freely when trying to connect. When everything was new, the latch was very difficult to move to the un-latch position. As things have worn in, it's all pretty smooth now.

A few minor adjustments may be required to get everything perfect. When it's working like it should, it's a pretty sweet set up.

Good luck!
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

None

No issue with the drive over connect. I've got that down now. I was just wondering if the deck and the PTO might not be connecting properly.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Just something about mower decks that I noticed over the years. When they get packed with grass on the underside the noise will change. Sounds kind of like like helicopter blades. This sound tells me it's time to clean underneath. Could your mulch kit be making the deck sound like it's packed with old grass?

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    You didn't also change blades, did you?
    When I installed my Gator blades for the first time, they cleared each other...but just barely, maybe by .020" or so. From reading different places, I knew to check for this. When I ran the mower the first time I had a knocking noise. I loosened the spindle bolts but couldn't move the spindles to gain more clearance, so I ended up adjusting blade length.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me, guys

Yes, there are marks on the left side where the blade hits the baffle, but it does not do so when the deck is off the tractor and turned up on end for work. My next step is going to be to take the whole thing off and start over. And yes, I did use the new blades that came with the mulch kit.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast