Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1026R Odd No Start...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

1026R Odd No Start...

I have read thru every starting related thread I could find on here, but I'm still scratching my head on figuring out the problem with my no start issue. I was digging a trench and didn't get it all the way into Neutral position before getting up off the seat and it died. When I went to start it, it just clicked and the dash lights were freaking out. I was able to jump start it, so I figured it was a case of sudden battery failure that I see discussed on here. Got a new battery, started right up. Used it a few more times with no problem. Parked it and went out the next day, dash lights, work lights, everything completely functional, but when I went from RUN position on ignition to START.... nothing. No click, just nothing. Just to rule out maybe the alternator not charging the new battery, I tested it at 12.89 volts, and then just to make sure attempted to jump with my truck, same behavior... nothing. So I don't think it was a battery issue. I had a spare relay in the garage, so I pulled the K02 starter relay and put it a new one... boom, started right up! I thought I was out of the woods, but I moved it from there to the garage after I started it, went in for a bit, came back out to do some work and once again... nothing. I'm guessing it was just a coincidence that it started after I replaced the relay. I spent some time under it looking for anything unplugged/loose in the wiring and everything looks good to me. Wondering... has anyone else has experienced this? My dealer is backed up for weeks so I'm hoping to figure this one out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks
    Other guys have had the plug / leads to the starter itself loosen up which caused a similar behavior, did you check to make sure those were all good and tight and fully seated on the starter?

A connection that sometimes makes contact can drive ya nuts...

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,257 Posts
    I would next be looking for a ground issue. Check where the battery ground wire termimates and take a good look and try to wiggle it. There are likely other grounds also - maybe someone with a service manual can help you locate them.
    Carvel Loafer likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    When you replaced the relay did it have any rust anywhere around it and where it plugs in? Maybe the ignition switch has rust or loose connection?
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    could be an electrical issue re: the contacts and circuit that pulls the starter gear in, solenoid. I have actually whacked them with a brass hammer in a pickle and its pulled in. When the solenoid contacts get oxidized and carbon build up, they become resistive and prevent enough current flow for a strong enough magnetic field to pull in. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Firemark; 02-25-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tkt2rde View Post
    Just to rule out maybe the alternator not charging the new battery, I tested it at 12.89 volts, and then just to make sure attempted to jump with my truck, same behavior...

What did you measure with 12.89 volts? If that's the battery voltage at rest, check the voltage under a load like trying to start the tractor and see what it drops to. If your alternator output was only 12.89, it's very low. You should see around 14 volts from a properly functioning alternator.
    Carvel Loafer, Levi and Ray_PA like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Another thing to look for is any wiring that may be rubbing / chaffing and wore through the insulation and is now shorting out on the metal frame of the tractor (short to ground). Good luck.
    Levi likes this.

--- Ed ---

*2016 1025R TLB, 54" Auto Connect MMM w/ mulch kit, Imatch, Wheel Wts
    Artiliian 42" Forks
    JD 54 Plow Blade w/ Artillian Snow Plow System
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks & Clevis, 2x2 Bolt on Receiver, Diff Pedal, Seat Spring Upgrade, Oblong Ring Slings
    SD Hvy Hitch, Combo Cart, 53" Toothbar, Front Weight Hitch
    R2 Edge Tamers
    JD HP 45 Gallon 3-PT Hitch Sprayer
    BXpanded BH Thumb, Quick Connect, Ripper Blade, Trench Bucket
    Mower Deck Axle
    8 JD Suitcase Wts

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    What did you measure with 12.89 volts? If that's the battery voltage at rest, check the voltage under a load like trying to start the tractor and see what it drops to. If your alternator output was only 12.89, it's very low. You should see around 14 volts from a properly functioning alternator.
    Agreed!!!!!
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,608 Posts
    For me the other day when my wouldn't start , seems I found the pto switch was causing the problem.
    Had good lights, but putting tractor in N nothing.
    After disconnecting and shorting the N switch top of transmission , thinking R Y wires still nothing.

Then checked the PTO switch has RIO found if I put turned on PTO and had tractor in L .. dash would show turn off PTO.

Pushed in the PTO switch , then dash showed Put in Netural.. did that and tractor started..

Ok must be a bad PTO switch shop foreman advised me to check wiring on bottom of switch.

While checking the wiring found I had jumpered the RIO part of the switch. Pulled the jumper wire out . Has started at least 10 times

May not be close to your problem ..but the way all the safety switches are tied together to keep these thing from starting or stopping.
    Carvel Loafer and Levi like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Could be a bad ignition switch. Not on this one but had that happen once. Make direct contact across the correct posts to find out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast