Have mulch kit installed, will Gator Blades do better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Have mulch kit installed, will Gator Blades do better?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks

Have mulch kit installed, will Gator Blades do better?

I have a backyard, well front to that trap tons of oak leaves every fall in a fenced backyard. Leaves that use to blow away are now trapped and it's all hands on kind of thing. I hurt to much for that these days, so I've been mulching them with the mower and the first to seasons it did not work out to great. The last time, I ran the pto at (if I remember correctly) around 2-25k RPM to mulch and it did really great. But I use a lot more diesel and not use to that. I usual idle around mowing and works great that way.

I seen some talk about you should not have a mulch kit installed when using Gator Blades. But there is not info on that part of it.

So I am asking who here uses the Gator Blades with the mulch kit?
    And if you do, do you run the blades full time?
    Last edited by btb601; 02-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    2014 JD 1025r, H120 53" FEL, 60D Auto connect , iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 48" Box Blade
    Mods: BXpanded Quick-On Receiver Hitch, Ken's hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Heavier seat springs, LED lights with magnet mounted in the makings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    I'm betting that part of your problem with poor performance is the mower blade speed. Open up the wallet and speed up that engine. Sure, you might burn a little more fuel, but you wouldn't idle a push mower through a pile of oak leaves? right? Run that throttle up to 3000 rpm and slow down the travel speed... It will cut and mulch better. Sharp blades help too. You could also try and spread them out so they're not so thick....

Good luck.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btb601 View Post
    I have a backyard, well front to that trap tons of oak leaves every fall in a fenced backyard. Leaves that use to blow away are now trapped and it's all hands on kind of thing. I hurt to much for that these days, so I've been mulching them with the mower and the first to seasons it did not work out to great. The last time, I ran the pto at (if I remember correctly) around 2-25k RPM to mulch and it did really great. But I use a lot more diesel and not use to that. I usual idle around mowing and works great that way.

I seen some talk about you should not have a mulch kit installed when using Gator Blades. But there is not info on that part of it.

So I am asking who here uses the Gator Blades with the mulch kit?
    And if you do, do you run the blades full time?
    I have tried both the gator blades and the original Deere mulching blades with my mulch kit. The Deere mulching blades do a better job with leaves.
    I have the gator blades on now to experiment with the first heavy grass of spring. I am thinking they might have better 'lift', but will soon find out.

Overall, I plan to go back to the Deere mulching blades unless my experiment provides dramatic surprise.

Too bad, because the Deere mulching blades are not cheap, and no one else seems to make the contoured blades like that.
    pcabe5 and ky_shawn like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'm with ErikR on this one. Throttle up to rated pto speed, reduce ground speed a bit and I'm betting you see different results. I have the mulch kit on my 60" mmm and have gone through 8" high grass and it chopped it right up. Even mowed in the rain once and it worked. Keep the blades sharp, the deck underside clean and throttle up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    I have tried both the gator blades and the original Deere mulching blades with my mulch kit. The Deere mulching blades do a better job with leaves.
    I have the gator blades on now to experiment with the first heavy grass of spring. I am thinking they might have better 'lift', but will soon find out.

Overall, I plan to go back to the Deere mulching blades unless my experiment provides dramatic surprise.

Too bad, because the Deere mulching blades are not cheap, and no one else seems to make the contoured blades like that.
    I'd be interested to see how it works Tim. I usually cut grass at 3.5" in the summer and mulch it. The Deere mulch blades chop grass up, but the lift isn't real good. Was going to see if the mulch kit and a set of gator G6 blades provided more lift yet still mulched. I didn't bag any leaves this past fall. Ran them through the mmm with the Deere mulching blades instead.

pcabe5 and ky_shawn like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have Gator blades on both my 60" JD deck, w/o a mulch kit, and on my 60" Toro Z-Master.

The Gator blades are on my JD mower because I had bent one of the original JD blades and they seemed to be a cost effective replacement. The Gator blades are built heavier than the oem blades, and I did have an issue with them being app .125" too long...which apparently is a common issue. I replaced the Toro blades just because they were worn from normal usage. I haven't seen any performance improvements in lift or mulching/size reduction with the Gator blades. They do seem to hold an edge better and I believe they make more noise...likely from the "serrated" lift edge.
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesetrain View Post
    I'm with ErikR on this one. Throttle up to rated pto speed, reduce ground speed a bit and I'm betting you see different results. I have the mulch kit on my 60" mmm and have gone through 8" high grass and it chopped it right up. Even mowed in the rain once and it worked. Keep the blades sharp, the deck underside clean and throttle up.

I didn't even notice that in the original post. Yes. I run wide open throttle when mowing. You want those blades spinning fast...at LEAST at rated PTO speed!
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

Exactly what I did last leaf season. As for grass, well I don't have much so mowing at low pto speed did not any issues. The last mulching took the paint off underneath the deck.
    It still looked new last April, now my poor tractor looks old when you left it's skirt.

Since my mulch blades are now three years old and I have to buy new ones, I was just curious if the Gators would be a better choice. I do hit tons of rock, they seemed to grow rapidly here in Missouri. I try to miss them and mostly do, but it happens. I'm surprised that they don't have bends in them if you know what I mean. And if you show me a bent blade, I hate to see what you hit. But then again, mowing grass, I'm mostly at idle or a tad higher.

It'll be three years old this July, and have 94.5 hours on it.
    AND
    I have never taken off the air filter. I started to once, put looked like a pain in the butt. I tried the dirt cup or whatever it's called?? You pinch it and it drops the dirt. Never seen anything come out of it, so I have not been real worried about it yet.

So should I worry about it or should I take it apart and have a look?
    2014 JD 1025r, H120 53" FEL, 60D Auto connect , iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 48" Box Blade
    Mods: BXpanded Quick-On Receiver Hitch, Ken's hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Heavier seat springs, LED lights with magnet mounted in the makings.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

air filter is EZ

Go ahead and open it up. It's easier than it looks.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    As the others have said , speed it up a bit . I have the Gator G6 on mine and for me , they seem to good job , but my yard is not overly burdened with leaves . Good luck !!!

and btw timmarks , let us know how yours do .
    ky_shawn likes this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

13. Remove Advertisements