Green Tractor Talk banner

5200 on this trailer?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TruckFarmer55 
#1 ·
So I got the rims fixed on my 5200 the other day and borrowed this trailer. Seemed to work well behind my friends 3/4 ton diesel. This trailer is for sale and I planned on buying a tandem flatbed to have around. Would you haul a 5200 on this trailer?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I don't generally haul that machine anywhere anyway. But I don't like fixing on tires. I think it would still be a good buy for picking up new implements and my other supplies. Or hauling produce to markets. He wants a grand for it and he's putting new lights and new fenders on. It's 18'.

#6 ·
If your 5200 is 2wd as I suspect and no loader or cab, you would possibly be able to haul it on this. But no attachments. I had a 20ft aluminum car hauler with 7K rating and I upgraded it to a gooseneck tandem dually because I did not feel comfortable hauling my 4066R cab which weighs around 6000# with the loader. It only weighed 1500# and the one pictured is steel, which will probably weigh in the 2500#-3000# range, leaving you only around 4000#-4500# capacity plus the tongue weight. Pretty marginal and you know you will want to also haul at least one attachment for additional weight. Plus 18ft is just not long enough for a tractor and a rear attachment. Your price is good and you could purchase it just to haul other stuff, like when you go to pick up an attachment that you bought. I really hate to have to drag my 31ft gooseneck trailer around just to pick up a small attachment that is too big to put in the back of my pickup bed. If that same opportunity presented itself to me I would probably buy the trailer for use as I described, but not for the tractor.

Dave

#7 ·
Dave

I agree. The only reason I used that trailer to haul my tractor was because I was in a real bind. Hopefully never to be in one again. If it is it will be this year when it needs new rims due to the chloride that I had pulled out from previous owner. It is good to know that I am on the same page as more experienced people. The current owner of the trailer also beefed up the deck support by taking out the old angle iron and replacing it with 2 inch 5/16 thick U channel.

#8 ·
Is it a 7,000# or 10,000# trailer? Pretty hard to distinguish visually. The stowable ramps are not definitive. My 10K trailer has them. I just trailer shopped and the frames aren't much different between those two. Got to see the actual tag or check the axles. Either would carry your 5200 by itself, which appears to weigh in the 4500# range, but a 10K would be best to have extra capacity for implements and attachments.

Really though, for a steel trailer you need to inspect it closely to see how rusty it is. A trailer like that can deteriorate quickly if used in winter conditions much, or left outside in the weather all the time. Brakes are an issue too. Make sure it has adequate brakes for the weight you intend to haul and that they work.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.