Green Tractor Talk banner

Hay Baler Salvage

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Tx Jim 
#1 ·
Just bought a new JD 459 silage special...because......the two year old vermeer caught fire and burned!

I am located in WV, morgantown area, close to both the Oh and western Pa state line. If anyone could give me contact information on where I possibly sell the old vermeer for salvage i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Welcome from another Morgantowner.

When you say salvage I'm guessing you don't mean scrap. I would contact the dealer that you got it from and see if they know of someplace that would want it. You may also try posting it on eBay of Craig's list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
As to a salvage dealer you could contact Kaddatz Equip phone # 254-582-3000 as he buys a lot of salvage tractors & equipment. I don't know if his trucks operate up to your state but a phone call is cheap. Speaking from experience any brand(color) rd hay baler has been known to burn. It's a very bad feeling to look back and see smoke/flames erupting from the baler. My baler that burn't after I exhausted all the water in my fire extinguisher was a JD 435. I'm curios why did you chose a JD baler over a Vermeer? Since leaving JD dealer to custom bale hay the only brand baler I've owned was a JD. I sold my badly burn't baler to an individual via CL after I salvaged(removed) the bale push bar from it to install on my new 435. I now bale with a 467 which IMHO is the best baler of all the ones I've owned.

#6 ·
Well, my father is the pro baler since he has had several different types of round balers over the years. He is 81 years old and started farming with horses when he was young. Says that he hates to stop now that farming has become so easy:)

He started round baling with with Krone and Claas....we still have a 4x4 Krone. A few years ago he got rid of his 4x5 Claas do to damage on his part. He struggled with the idea of getting a Round baler that rolls with belts instead of chains. He finally decided to give the vermeer 504 with belts a try. It was a nice enough baler...made nice looking tight bales...had a nice monitor.

Worked great for a couple of years.....less than 1500 bales put through it.

One day he finished baling....was sitting in his chair an hour later and the neighbor stops by to inform him that his baler is on fire....still attached to the tractor.

So, he had to struggle with what type of baler to get. He really wanted to go back to the chain over the belt and was wanting a Claas 260. I did some research for him on JD so he could make the decision.

The positive on the Claas was it was a simpler machine and he liked the idea of chain over belt. One negative is that it called for considerable more HP than the JD because of the chain rolling.

On the JD site it stated that the new 459 balers have upgraded to bigger bearings on the top and bottom....I believe numbers 7 & 11.....for better heat dissipation. I showed him that....which seemed that they were addressing bearing problems, combining that with the lowered required hp and a much better price on the JD than any other brand of baler.....he went with the Deere.

JD seemed to be much easier to deal with than the others. I contacted a New Holland dealer two different times....two different salesman and told them we would be buying a baler in the next month and wanted information. Never heard back from them.....unbelievable. Glad I dont own that dealership.

#7 ·
I'm unaware that Claas made a chain baler. I've baled over 150,000 rd bales with a JD rd baler. Latest balers were '01 JD 467 that had baled 30,000 bales and my current '07 JD 467 that has baled 19,000 bales. My 467 balers have been the best ones that I've baled with but the one I have will be my LAST ONE as I'm at the twilight of my hay baling career.

#8 ·
You are correct. I never had the experience with the claas...I asked my father about it and he said it used around 17 steel rollers...not the chain.

You sound like the hay baling king! Man, that's a lot of hay! Told my father how much hay you put through the jd'so and he feels better about his decision. Thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.