Green Tractor Talk banner

60" Blade for $120 ?? Let's see how this goes!!

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Dirty Harry 
#1 ·
SO... I was surfing.. reading about blades, and parts and angle cylinders...

Having looked at my Quick Attach front hitch that came with the tractor, and knowing I could build something later (not yet knowing what).. I had them throw in the angle kit (greatly discounted with the new machine.. my dealer took great care of me)

While reading about/shopping for, blades... and also realizing the Deere 60 blade would cost me about 800 bucks... I saw an Amazon ad for "Warn" ATV snow blades.
I clicked the link.. and low and behold, there was a 54" Warn Blade in the "Amazon Warehouse"(returns, scratch and dent stuff) for 82$ (they still have it..) I then clicked the 60"..

I got the 60" for $59.36.. scratch and dent.. with shoes, hardware, and trip springs... for 59 bucks I HAD TO TRY AND MAKE THIS WORK!!!!

Disclaimer.. I KNOW this is a "junky" cheapo blade and does not compair to the 60" Deere product.. it's also not $910 new...(it's only 200ish new..it's pretty "lite" )

UPS lost this for a week.. How the **** do you lose a 60x16" snow plow blade?? .. but my UPS guy got it back for me from the Yoga place they left it at... (there's a story.. maybe later)

I got out my pencil, caliper, tape measure, and graph paper.. and made a plan!

I bought $64 worth of steel at Metal Supermarkets in Albany today(Nice people.. helpful)... the wife is away for 4 days, and I'm on vacation :) ... and so I am going to begin building tomorrow morning if no-one interrupts my free time... and not stop til i cant move, or it's done... (or kinda..)

Here's what I got so far:
Vehicle Auto part Engine Automotive tire Machine

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Fender Vehicle

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that will work great!

Do you have link? I could use one for a special project...

#5 · (Edited)
They only have the 54" still for $82.18 (and it looks like they only have one.. )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005G9WQ0C/ref=olp_f_used?ie=UTF8&f_usedAcceptable=true&f_usedGood=true&f_used=true&f_usedLikeNew=true&f_usedVeryGood=true

Found the blades on Amazon warehouse. Only the 54" for $82, not the 60". Did they have more of the 60"? And where did you see the scratch and dent section?
Usually stuff like that is a one time deal (until they get another dinged one).. I got the "one" 60" blade they had (for ridiculous cheap.. )

Amazon has a drop down by the search bar. If you click the dropdown, the 5th one down says "Amazon Warehouse"

The "warehouse" is kinda their "scratch and dent" "cant sell as new, but not really used" "customer damaged the box, but the stuff is ok" section..
A lot of times when you search for an item, you will see "Used starting at" .. if you click that, it brings you to a page listing "used" .. if the seller is "Amazon Warehouse" .. this is what you want. I've not bought "used" from other vendors... just Amazon Warehouse.. and I have always been pleased.

This blade has a ding in the front edge (behind the actual edge that bolts on) and a top corner.. I'll do worse to it than that the first time I use it.

I look there first for everything i shop for.. it's usually one off items (not usually more than one of anythign at big discounts). when they say "box damage" or "small imperfection" .. it is usually the box.
I just did a brake job on a Mazda CX5 for 90 bucks with all name brand (wagner and raybestos) brakes, rotors and hardware...both ends of the car both sides.
Patience and planning ahead is your friend here. ..if you watch long enough, what you need will pop up..
I just got really lucky with that blade. I dunno how they shipped it for 60..

#4 ·
Oregon Approved....assuming it came from the local Warn Plant in Milwaukie ,OR.

Either way its a win for you.....great buy.

#6 ·
So what your saying is.....if some of us ordered the right one, and it mysteriously got hit by a hammer producing a ding, and it was sent back, then others of us could get in on this deal? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Noooooo, Im not suggesting we do such a thing.....but, it COULD work. :eek:hmy:

BTW....cant wait to see the finished product. :bigthumb:

#7 ·
Devious

You're a devious soul. Remind me to not play cards with you, I'd lose my shirt and probably not know it until I got home and my wife asked why I wasn't wearing it.

Treefarmer

#8 ·
Here's the plan... I need to build the Red and Blue parts.. tomorrow morning the 4 1/2" angle grinder, drill press, and mig welder come out !!!

Line Diagram Design Plot Slope

#9 ·
I got bunch done today... about 9 hours work(I feel like I shoulda got more done when I type that...)
.. photos in moments..

All I have left is the upper trip spring mount and cross braces(might be one and the same thing...) I'll do those tomorrow morning :)

Then some paint (nothign fancy.. don't wanna jack the cost...hehehehe)

Debating using the original mounting ears I cut off as additional vertical braces.. dunno if its necessary...

#11 ·
Here they are!

First 2 holes in the 1/4 plate sides
Table Automotive exterior Bumper Metal Steel

I recycled some hooks from the old 318 mower deck.. these will lock the blade to prevent tripping when used as a dozer.
(I dunno.. really light dozering maybe..)
Screw Metal Pipe

Holes drilled, bar stock sanded to fit (hot rolled..was a little rough)
This bar will act as a structural member.
Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Vehicle door

Now it's starting to look like somethin' !
Wheel

The large angle iron in the back will get holes for the trip springs to hang in.
Vehicle Technology Car Automotive exterior Electronic device

I cut off the original mounts .. might use them to reinforce .. will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
Machine Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

It's gettin there!!
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Good view of the trip latch hooks... I think I need to put a plate or something behind these.. they go too far in and bind.
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Good spot to stop for the evening!
Automotive exterior Automotive tire Tire Bumper Vehicle

Attachments

#13 ·
I used heavy wall DOM tubing to reinforce the area where the blade "axle" goes through the 3/16 side plates.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Also.. the pins for that axle are inside the frame, keeping them from being bent or dislodged.
(my welds are not that ugly IRL.. lighting, shadow, blowing up the pic in that corner maybe?)
Metal Steel

#14 ·
Done!!

#15 ·
I welded cross bracing to the top, and used the old mount plates between the new and the ends.
As the blade is such thin steel, I figure this will reduce deforming under pressure... and I had them, why put them on the scrap pile?

Wire brushed everything to get the slag and glass off.
I used truck bed-liner paint on the back side of the blade and the mount. I figure that will be far more durable than enamel.
I need to get some more paint for the front face... but its covered for now.
I didn't use bed-liner on the face, as it has a texture, and I want the snow to slide off.

It tilts, swivels, locks, and trips as it should.
I am very happy with this project.

The only part that didn't go the way I wanted was the trip spring adjusters...Due to the length of the springs and the way things sit, I had to put the adjusters on the bottom. I may try to get 2 more springs.. I did leave room for them on the top spring mounts in case I do.

$59 Blade
$64 Steel
$ 5 Mig wire (guess.. )
$12 paint
=$140 .. not bad for the end result.
One and a half fun days of fabrication. Priceless!

Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

Bumper Gas Machine Metal

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive wheel system Wheel

Bumper Automotive exterior Barbecue Tire Vehicle

Bumper Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Wheel

#16 ·
Here is what I wound up with.
I'll post the side plate measurements...

Disclaimer: If you use the information I provide here, you are responsible for properly researching materials, strengths, and for engineering what you build to make sure it is safe.
I'm not an engineer, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night ;)

Text Line Parallel Design Diagram

Line Text Diagram Design Pattern

#17 ·
I just ordered 2 more Warn trip
springs...$12.24 ( Amazon warehouse..nother bargain!! ).. so now we are up to $152 plow blade..still not bad.

#18 ·
Im impressed!! Looks great!!

Reactions: BWV
#19 ·
And.. now its really done :)

2 more springs installed... I like the feel of the trip a lot better now.
I'm really happy!!
Room Metal

#20 ·
Great job. I admire your metal working skills.

#21 ·
:good2:

That looks really darn good.

#24 ·
I do love the feeling of planning these things out, drawing them, then making them real.
This was a simple thing... I really loved building the loader I made for my 318... so much that I am debating putting it on the 1023e still...
Gonna look at that tomorrow. I'll start another thread on that one if I green light it :)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Hope this was helpful info for anyone that doesn't want to spend $900 on a front blade and wants to build stuff.
There's a lot of other stuff out there that this base could be made to work with... old used truck plows, off brand GT or ATV blades.. etc...

#25 ·
Resurrecting this thread... Used the OP's search and found another scratch-n-dent 60" Warn blade for... $72!:love: (y)

I am planning on buying a landscape rake. I wanted one of those combo jobs from York Modern; (60" rake with drop down dozer blade & scarifier). New unit is over $4k. No way can I justify that kind of dough. They occasionally pop up on farm equipment sites, but they usually look like they've been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for decades.😱

I finally settled on a new LS rake from Everything Attachments. But now, thanks to this thread, I'm gonna attempt to Frankenstein a combo 'rake w/drop down blade' of sorts using the cheapo Warn blemished blade.

I know the Warn blade is kinda thin but it's only going to push snow, and the beefy rake tines from EA will provide the backbone. Fingers crossed. Even if it doesn't work out... this is gonna be lotsa fun! 😁😁😁

#26 ·
Blade showed up last week. Can't really tell why it's scratch n dent. But who cares, especially for 1/4 the cost - delivered! Bad news is that my landscape rake from EA is a 3 month backorder, so I won't be able to start playing with it until Fall. Oh well... gives me plenty of time to investigate ways to mount the blade to the rake: permanent swing-down or removable pin-mounted?🤔 (I prefer permanent, to eliminate hook & unhook hassles and having to find/make a spot to store it when not in use.)

I'll try to find good, hi-rez pics of York Modern's 3-in-1 combo attachments, and try to mimic their set-up if possible. In the meantime I'll be taking that Warn blade to work, to have a couple chunks of beefy angle iron welded to her backside - for reinforcement purposes.😈

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.