Green Tractor Talk banner

PTO selector lever jammed

10K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ColonyPark 
#1 ·
Today I was removing the MMM and getting set up with the FEL and BH. As a habit, I move the PTO selector to Rear when the MMM is taken off, so it's in the correct position for reinstall.

After the MMM was off, I could not move the PTO select lever. Didn't see anything physically blocking the lever shaft but this thing was jammed hard, to the point where if I pushed any further the lever would have bent or broken.

Here's the sequence of things I did:

• I left it alone (in the Mid position) and drove about 40 yards to where the BH and FEL were at, hoping the bouncing across the terrain would free up. I tried to move it, still no luck.
  • I put the loader and BH on and drove a while doing chores. After 20 minutes or so, I tried again. Nope still stuck.
  • I turned the PTO on for 10 seconds and turned it off. Tried again, and the PTO selector lever moved freely.

This is the first time this happened. If it happens again, how concerned do I need to be? What's the chances I could be damaging the tractor?

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't be worried, the gears are straight cut and sometimes just don't mesh together right, turning in the PTO was the correct fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
What Kennyd said!!

Absolutely nothing wrong. As Kenny said, the gears just were not lined up.:bigthumb:

#5 ·
If Kenny and Ray say we're good to go, then we're good to go.

Thanks guys !

#10 ·
Another trick is to turn the rear PTO shaft by hand until the lever engages. It is more difficult to do that going from rear to front. I usually just flip the PTO switch on and off again for that. :thumbup1gif:
That's what I do. Just turn the PTO on and off quickly and it's good to go.

Reactions: RandyM
#9 ·
I have 3 tractors with pto levers and all of them need some coaxing between on/off, and really only like to go in with the engine running and a slight clutch drag to move the gears into the right spot.

I wouldn't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.