Green Tractor Talk banner

Axle housing question M60

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  drhutch 
#1 ·
I am wondering about the bolt holes in the top of the axle housing that the platform bolts to. The holes are not blind holes and seem to have a cavity under them. I thought these just dropped into the main cavity where the main driven axle gears are put apparently they do not. I tried pouring some kerosene in one with a funnel to clean out any material that may be there and it bubbled back as the air was trying to get out, so it seems they are sealed. Anyone had the axle housing apart enough to shed some light on my question?
Thanks
Hutch

#2 ·
As a matter of fact, I do. :lol:

Auto part Machine Vehicle Machine tool

Motor vehicle Auto part Machine Engine Toolroom

Machine Vehicle Tool

I'm not near it at the moment, I can get you a better pic later. But IIRC they do go straight through to right above the final drive gears.

#3 ·
If that is a "mild" resto...I am glad I don't have to go that far into it. My transmission looks fine. I would have thought they would go straight down to the axles but when I shine a flashlight down one of them I see no light back in that housing. Be interesting to see what you find.
On another note, is the first reduction housing suppose to be totally isolated from the transmission housing? When I pour kero into it it runs into the transmission housing. I don't see any seals in the parts book to keep them separate but just wonder as the lube manual says to put a quart and a half in that cover in addition to filling the trans.
Hutch

#4 ·
If that is a "mild" resto...I am glad I don't have to go that far into it.
:lol: I hear ya. :lol: My goal is a completely reliable and working machine. Looks will come in a much later priority...

I would have thought they would go straight down to the axles but when I shine a flashlight down one of them I see no light back in that housing. Be interesting to see what you find.
I looked down into the hole. It leads into the axle housing but not directly into the final drive cavity. I believe that anything that falls into that hole will eventually end up in the bull gear bearing at end of the axle and then into the main cavity.

On another note, is the first reduction housing suppose to be totally isolated from the transmission housing? When I pour kero into it it runs into the transmission housing. I don't see any seals in the parts book to keep them separate but just wonder as the lube manual says to put a quart and a half in that cover in addition to filling the trans.
Hutch
The fluid is shared between the two. There is a shield, not a seal, on the PTO shaft bearing that will hold a considerable amount of fluid in the first reduction housing. The sliding gear shaft (top shaft) in the trans flings oil into a channel that feeds lube directly into the top of the first reduction housing. You can see it in this pic.

Metal Auto part Brass Rust

I believe the pouring of the initial fluid in the first reduction housing is just for initial lubrication. Not 100% sure on that though, just a WAG.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have one more experiment I am going to try on that bolt hole today, will post results later. I was thinking the same thing on the first reduction cover as to the need for the small bit of lube there.
I started this project last fall. I drove a 60 when I was a kid on our farm for about 10 years before totally moving to the city after the army. Ours was probably a 54 as it had PS and a tach. I wish I could find that tractor, but my brother traded it and is not real sure where it went after that. This one had a stuck motor that I now have all the fixed parts for. I have a new clutch and am working on the old radiator core. The trans had water in the lube but not enough or long enough to hurt anything, no rust at all in there. :thumbup1gif:. The radiator had a pin hole and so much rust around the bottom a shop wouldn't touch it. A week in a tub of CLR and water and it looks salvageable.
When mine becomes a runner I will post a picture story of the resto.
Thanks for your help.
Hutch

#6 ·
Well I tried to use air to see if it is an inclosed space. Plugged the bolt hole on the top and rigged a shrader valve in the grease plug at the outer end of the axle. At about 10# of air nothing came out when I got to around 15 something popped, I thought maybe a seal lip and air flowed into the main housing opening. So I still don't know for sure as the parts book does not show a seal of any sort on the inner bearing. I guess I will quit worrying about it.
Thanks for all the help
Hutch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.