Green Tractor Talk banner

Milwaukee Power Tool Review Thread

105K views 1K replies 96 participants last post by  theduke 
#1 ·
I have started using Milwaukee tools, so I thought I'd start a review thread. I will say that I am not a pro and I don't use these things every single day, but I've been very pleased with the performance and they've never flinched at anything that I've thrown at them.

M18™ 1/2" Compact Brushless Hammer Drill/Driver

I picked the compact version as I use the belt clip and hang it on my right front pocket. The power is just plain awesome. I've run hole saws up to 4" with no problems, screwed all of the OSB on the interior walls of the barn and everything else that I've need a drill, or driver for. My favorite feature is that the light stays on after you let the trigger go for a period of time.

M18™ 1/4" Hex Brushless Impact Driver - TOOL ONLY

Good lord this thing has some torque. It was instrumental in the barn build as well. When it comes to sinking lag screws, using it on nuts and bolts, this thing has some serious grunt to it. I usually use the 2.0 battery in it as well.

I generally use the M18™ REDLITHIUM™ 2.0 Compact Battery Pack in them and it has always lasted until I wanted a break and it charges very quickly.

M18™ Jig Saw

Well, it's a Jig Saw and it's a good one too. It took me just a little practice getting the blade in correctly (straight), but that was short lived and a non-issue now. It does everything that I ask it to do as well.

M18™ Compact Blower
This is a nice little blower for around the barn, garage and whatnot when I don't feel like, or need to crank up the Husky backpack blower.

M18™ REDLITHIUM™ XC 4.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack

M18™ REDLITHIUM™ XC5.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack

I have these extended capacity batteries that I use in the saw and blower.

1/2" Hammer Drill

I don't need a big hammer drill often, but I need it enough that renting one is too much of a pain. I got a corded one since it is infrequent use and I've never needed it where there wasn't power available. If I do, then I can take the generator.

Well, that's what I've got. All of the tools have been flawless, both the drill and impact driver have taken trips off of the roof of the barn with no ill affects. The power from all of the tools is amazing and the battery recharge times are great too. I never bought a second charger, because I haven't needed it.

See less See more
#646 ·
Hmm. I got a new whip for my M18 grease gun cuz i "Ahem" burned a hole in my origional with the welder, and a new lock n lube both fit together just fine. Mines about 8 years old though.

#649 ·
Well after talking with LnL, I was told that the other part(in blue) will come off with some effort(vise recommended). With some "effort", it indeed did come off and there was 1/8" npt.....No adapter needed.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Rim Cameras & optics

Product Cylinder Gas Font Liquid
Air gun Trigger Tool Office supplies Gas

#650 ·
I have bought the LNL for my all M18 and M12 guns, but have yet to get around to installing any of them.
I guess I better look see which fittings mine came with.
The guns were all bought at different times.
Good to know there is adapters if needed.

Reactions: Kbar and Kennyd
#651 ·
Mine did not need an addd as other .
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Drill Automotive tail & brake light

Reactions: Kbar and Gizmo2
#652 ·
Mounted some more tool organizing items.
both tool and battery hanger devices special built for Milwaukee power tools both M12 and M18 versions.
Sleeve Font Wall Art Rectangle

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Luggage and bags

Engineering Gas Machine Automotive tire Audio equipment

Product Red Gas Technology Machine

Red Gas Machine Auto part Technology

Automotive tire Font Poster Art Advertising

Also upgraded my new M18 grease gun with clear tube as well as a lock n lube .
Fluid Solution Material property Drink Cylinder

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Drill Automotive tail & brake light

Handheld power drill Hammer drill Drill Pneumatic tool Rotary tool

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Glove Safety glove Automotive wheel system

Reactions: Kbar and farmer52
#657 ·
Reactions: cc1999
#653 ·
Anyone have ever have this problem with there m18 grease gun? .

This is one of my older m18 grease guns.
The tube grease feeder rod will not push back into place . It still works and the rod pulls in on its own aa grease is used and tube is emptied .
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

#654 ·
I did not know there was a M12 GG.......Never seen one.

I went DW..It was on sale and I needed a couple Batts for the work impacts.
Werks fine
If you hit a clogged fitting it pukes out the front relief valve.....that makes a mess.

#655 ·
On most guns...even DW.

turn rod a 1/4 turn and it retracts.

#656 ·
Yea the m12 is normally the last one I grab.
It is noticeably less powerful then the m18 versions.
Works fine however it’s much slower.

Thanks for the tip, I think I tried that, but it got stuck like that few weeks back.
‘I will give that 1/4 twist tip shot and make sure. I hope that is all it is.

#659 ·
Yea the only time your supposed to plunge the rod all the way in is for storage. It’s supposed to stick out and chase the grease while in use. As Dan says pull it back out with no pressure on the cylinder and twist it. It will just free spin otherwise so make sure you pull on it to get it to turn to the plunge mode.
Now someone’s going to reiterate a manual and show me how dumb I am

Reactions: cc1999 and Gizmo2
#661 ·
Yea the only time your supposed to plunge the rod all the way in is for storage. It’s supposed to stick out and chase the grease while in use. As Dan says pull it back out with no pressure on the cylinder and twist it. It will just free spin otherwise so make sure you pull on it to get it to turn to the plunge mode.
Now someone’s going to reiterate a manual and show me how dumb I am
I would never think to call anyone dumb. I've been pushing the rod back into grease guns for over 50 years. The round follower actually floats in front of the spring and only needs the rod to pull it back and lock it in position for loading.

As you eluded, the Milwaukee M18 grease gun manual does list the same procedure. :)

Font Cylinder Parallel Rectangle Auto part

#664 · (Edited)
Now for the Milwaukee M18 Transfer Pump...
We bought this to help with watering the garden (we lost our water supply when the new house went up for our daughter).
We started last year doing gravity feed from an IBC Totes (extremely slow going). A full 275 gallons is not a friend of a JD 2320
I'm a DeWalt guy but I must say I'm impressed with this pump.
Wood Floor Flooring Material property Rolling
Wheel Plant Tire Tree Tread

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Waste containment
Plant Shorts People in nature Tree Sky

It's a 55 gallon tank in the Gator I filled it at our barn with ~50 gallons.
It took 6.52 minutes to empty the tank using the new pump with a 5 AH battery, used one bar on the battery indicator.
It could only be better if it had a cut off pressure switch to monitor the outlet.

#665 ·
It could only be better if it had a cut off pressure switch to monitor the outlet.
Gadgettering something like that should just be a small hill for an old mountain climber
like you.........Especially since you have a young apprentice now to do the dirty work or
take the blame. ;)

#669 ·
Got a new hackzall
Red Material property Font Carmine Advertising

#670 ·
Probably the best balanced Sawzall you can get. Makes one handed cutting a breeze

#673 ·
I need to limb up my 3 yr old cypress trees and don’t want to stress the rest of the tree out or tear any unnecessary bark with a limb saw so I found a sawzall with a bi metal blade makes a nice clean cut that heals over faster. My battle axe Dewalt still works but it’s heavy and the batteries last all of 5 minutes so enter another red tool.
Speaking of my red tools, I used the drill and 1/4” impact a couple days ago and they’re beasts. That little rattle gun drove in 36 8” timber screws without breaking a sweat. The drill is a wrist buster and I mixed 8 whole 60 lb bags of concrete with it. Those 6AH batteries still had plenty of juice. Very impressed with the fuel line

#674 ·
I need to limb up my 3 yr old cypress trees and don’t want to stress the rest of the tree out or tear any unnecessary bark with a limb saw so I found a sawzall with a bi metal blade makes a nice clean cut that heals over faster.
Agreed. I just tried out some new Freud Diablo 9" carbide pruning reciprocating blades on five inch oak limbs. They're just about as fast as a chainsaw, much cleaner, and safer when working from a ladder -- even better than bi-metal!

#678 ·
#679 ·
The top cut saw and m18 Hatchet may find their way into my inventory.

#686 ·
I have dozens of Milwaukee cordless and a few corded tools. I'll review a few of the new ones.

M12 Pin Nailer: love it. Bought it a few months ago to do some cabinet trim repair at a few jobs. Only shot a couple dozen nail thru it then. I'm rehabbing the oak staircase in our home and have used it extensively to replace the trim on 19 stairs, 4 doors and 30' of base so several hundred 1 3/8 and 3/4" nails. It misfires only because of user error. The nose doesn't move as a safety. The trigger has a safety tab similar to some circular and mitre saws. Poor muscle memory cause me to pull the trigger before touching the wood like you'd bump fire other guns. It simply shoots nails, that takes a little getting used to.

M12 Angle Die grinder: this thing also works great. I bought this to help clean up areas of the stair case where I couldn't sand the stain off with other tools. Also use it to cope molding since its easier than using my Milwaukee 4.5" grinder.

M18 1" SDS Rotary hammer: bought this to remove old molding from the stairs since the builder (not me) used a crapload of liquid nail to install the trim. With the tile blade it peeled right off. I also used it to drill and break concrete around swing set post at a friends house. He must have used 150+ pounds for each post. I didn't start counting from the beginning, drilled 87 1/2" holes 16 inches deep so we could sledge hammer it out. Its a BEAST! I know should have used the 1025R to dig and pull out the posts. Friend is anal about his grass and we were in a tight location. His wife is a good cook and he'll buy my choice of drink so the effort was acceptable.

If anyone has questions about a particular Milwaukee tool let me know. I may have it. I have most of their nail guns, various drills, impacts, table saw, mitre saw and other.

Reactions: Gizmo2
#690 ·
I have dozens of Milwaukee cordless and a few corded tools. I'll review a few of the new ones.

If anyone has questions about a particular Milwaukee tool let me know. I may have it. I have most of their nail guns, various drills, impacts, table saw, mitre saw and other.
Cordless Sawzall in 18 volt. I am looking at models 2621 (has brushes), 2821 & 2722 (brushless) Since I have a couple M18 Milwaukee tools, I want to stay with 18v and not look at anything 12 volt.

#687 ·
Not sure why you would need the dual battery blower?? I have a 12ah on my single batt model and it runs for a long time. I do like the m18 sprayer and 6" prune saw. I was just getting ready to buy the m12 6" prune saw so I might wait a bit for that m18 model

#689 ·
Not sure why you would need the dual battery blower?? I have a 12ah on my single batt model and it runs for a long time. I do like the m18 sprayer and 6" prune saw. I was just getting ready to buy the m12 6" prune saw so I might wait a bit for that m18 model
More power than the single battery model.

Single: 450 CFM @ 120 MPH
Dual: 600 CFM @ 145 MPH

#688 ·
I forgot to mention that I have the m12 hacksaw that works great. It is a work horse for just an M12. I use both the diablo and Milwaukee blades

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Kbar
#691 ·
I have both the m18 fuel Sawzall and m18 fuel hackzall. The Sawzall rarely gets used. The hackzall is so much better for one handed cutting. Haven't found anything that the Sawzall can do that the hackzall couldn't do.

#694 ·
Those deep cut portabands are sweet but expensive. When my Harbor freight pile of plastic quits the I’m ordering one

#695 ·
Tool only is the way to go with those larger tools. That is if you have the batteries which I know you do (y) I think I got my deep cut for 325-350 from home depot

#701 ·
reacharound....not depth.....I see No wideMouth option...yet

#703 ·
Deep cut is the wide mouth