Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Push Mower Recommendation

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Push Mower Recommendation

So the Mrs is after me to get a new push mower. Apparently the old JD21 isn't good enough. It burns oil like crazy and needs new wheels.

Was thinking about re powering it but then looked at the price of wheels for the old girl and let's just say they aren't cheep. For the price of a new engine and wheels I could be up to a really nice new push mower.

Considering a Honda but not sure what model.

Anyone have any experience with them or any other recommendations.

Will be used around the house. About 1/2 acre and to trim around plants down where the old house used to be.

I don't mind spending a bit more up front for something that will last.
    Last edited by J3 Driver; 06-02-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    So the Mrs is after me to get a new push mower. Apparently the old JD21 isn't good enough. It burns oil like crazy and needs new wheels.

Was thinking about re powering it but then looked at the price of wheels for the old girl and let's just say they aren't cheep. For the price of a new engine and wheels I could be up to a really nice new push mower.

Considering a Honda but. It sure what model.

Will be used around the house. About 1/2 acre and to trim around plants down where the old house used to be.

My grandmother has a Honda hrx. It takes some getting used to but it's an excellent mulching mower.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/law...dels/hrx217hza

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    If you are looking for a basic 21" push mower like you have you can hardly beat a Honda HRS216PKA. $389 at Home Depot. I've had one for a few years and it is an excellent basic non-propelled mulching mower. It also comes with a chute if you do not want to mulch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRS216PKA.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	380122
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts

It's a classic and a classic never dies! Isn't it a shame that it costs so much to repower and spruce it up. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and 89420 like this.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    It's a classic and a classic never dies! Isn't it a shame that it costs so much to repower and spruce it up. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape.
    The deck is perfect. The wheels rubber is torn up though. If it was just a motor I'd do it. But the wheels are 45 bucks a piece.

Honda engine 200 bucks.
    Wheels 180 bucks.

That equals a new Honda almost.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

8. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I can't say a bad thing about my Honda.

It's an HRR model.
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts
    The deck is perfect. The wheels rubber is torn up though. If it was just a motor I'd do it. But the wheels are 45 bucks a piece.

Honda engine 200 bucks.
    Wheels 180 bucks.

That equals a new Honda almost.
    I can't blame you. I am trying to get away from needing a push mower at all. But in the mean time, my 17 year old Toro's self propel is shot. I can't push it anymore without the self propel enabled otherwise the rear wheels lock up. There was a JS61 I was looking at. They wanted $175 for it. But all it had was a mulch plug. A chute wasn't much money but I need a bagger. The whole bagger assembly would've been just about as much as the mower. Crazy! I'll keep limping the Toro.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I can't blame you. I am trying to get away from needing a push mower at all. But in the mean time, my 17 year old Toro's self propel is shot. I can't push it anymore without the self propel enabled otherwise the rear wheels lock up. There was a JS61 I was looking at. They wanted $175 for it. But all it had was a mulch plug. A chute wasn't much money but I need a bagger. The whole bagger assembly would've been just about as much as the mower. Crazy! I'll keep limping the Toro.

My JS61 is still kicking. Although I did have to replace all the wheels. The stock were some kind of turf friendly tread that were discontinued. However they superseded to something that worked. I think that the guy only charged me for one because I got all 4 for like $25.

I didn't even realize that JD made a bagger for it.

Thought I killed it last week. Was trimming around a bush by pushing it in under the over hang. The plastic engine cover is missing because I got sick of listening to it rattling. I guess one of the branches bent the carb linkage. After figuring out witch way to bend it back it was good to go.

Seeing the JD is so old. I was looking at them Honda professional models. At $1,200 I'm going to keep using what I have till it won't go anymore.

How about pulling the old engine apart to see what it actually needs. Thought the engine on my old L108 was a goner. Turns out it was just the head gasket.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 11:46 PM
    Thanks

i love green push mowers as in old lawn boy 2 strokes i use a commercial vintage one ..sounds awesome...
    but for your situation if you wanted a new engine you could by a cheap model mtd/yard machine 150$ or less for the entire mower and the engine looks like the one you have so kinda would look factory. hondas are good motors for sure i like husqvarna's with honda engines.
    you could always rebuild you current engine those are very easy and cheap to rebuild.

i vote restore the deere it already lasted this long. a little restoration and it would look new. dont see to many chrome bars anymore
    but thats just me i like classics and when they are working

pick of my vintage lawn boy its a 1995 model C21MRC found original sales receipt was right at 500$. still 2 stroking along after all these years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.JPG   005.JPG  
    Last edited by 89420; 06-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    A few questions for you to be able to fine-tune a recommendation.

Is the Mrs. the user of the mower, or does she want one for the Mr. to use?

Push, or self-propelled. If self-propelled, single speed, several speed, or variable ground speed?

Pull start, or electric start?

Will mowing height be adjusted from time to time, or remain fixed?

Do you intend to bag grass clippings, or do you want to mulch, or just discharge clippings? If you bag, do you like side or rear? Will you want to easily switch between modes?

Automatic choke (a weak point on my new mower) or manual choke?

How important is mower weight and balance? Will you or the Mrs. be doing long straight runs, or will you have to cut around many trees and shrubs?

I'm asking because I just recently went through replacing my old Lawn Boy 2 cycle, and I made a few mistakes picking the replacement.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast