Straight shaft trimmer - gear lube?
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 1 Post By AJgrn78
  • 1 Post By etcallhome
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By NEWT

Thread: Straight shaft trimmer - gear lube?

  1. Top | #1
    AJgrn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 95 Times in 88 Posts

    Straight shaft trimmer - gear lube?

    Not a very exciting thread, but something I've seen debated many times, what do you guys add to the gear box on your straight shaft trimmers?

    On the one I use the most, I've been giving it a few pumps of regular grease every so many weeks, hasn't blown up yet.

    I have no less than 5 running trimmers with different setups and attachements, so if there's a "best" to use, I'd like to know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170527_184456_1496855412085.jpg  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,374
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    What is the brand / model of your trimmer? I always try to check what the manufacturer recommends first.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. Top | #3
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,449
    Thanks
    3,129
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,137 Posts
    holy heck-all these yrs-i don't know if i ever added anything to mine. but the last 10 yrs mine hasn't been used to hard.
    i might have checked it back yrs ago-when i trimmed our 1/4 mile lane-but -honestly i forget if i did!
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 202 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    holy heck-all these yrs-i don't know if i ever added anything to mine. but the last 10 yrs mine hasn't been used to hard.
    i might have checked it back yrs ago-when i trimmed our 1/4 mile lane-but -honestly i forget if i did!
    Stihl sells lube in a metal toothpaste style tube. You remove the plug from your tool. Then screw the tube on. After that just squeeze the tube to dispense the grease. Remove the tube and install the plug.
    BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.

  7. Top | #5
    AJgrn78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 95 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What is the brand / model of your trimmer? I always try to check what the manufacturer recommends first.
    Homelite, Craftsman, Craftsman, McCulloch...

    I suppose I was wondering how many people were just using regular grease?

    I certainly won't be able to find any McCulloch weed trimmer grease.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  8. Top | #6
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,744
    Thanks
    3,468
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,666 Posts
    Stihl has a tube a grease that screws in the screw plug. After about 8 yrs I finally used my first tube.

    From the look of your photo the plug looks close in size to the one on my Stihl FS110. The tube I bought also fit my Shindaiwa weedeater that was at least 25 years ago.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  9. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,374
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    Homelite, Craftsman, Craftsman, McCulloch...

    I suppose I was wondering how many people were just using regular grease?

    I certainly won't be able to find any McCulloch weed trimmer grease.
    I'm sure there are folks who are squirting just about anything in there but in most cases there is a special grease that is to be used. EP-00 comes to mind. You need to make sure to use something that does not damage bronze gears or bushings if they exist.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Location
    Secor, IL
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 175 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Stihl sells lube in a metal toothpaste style tube. You remove the plug from your tool. Then screw the tube on. After that just squeeze the tube to dispense the grease. Remove the tube and install the plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Stihl has a tube a grease that screws in the screw plug. After about 8 yrs I finally used my first tube.

    From the look of your photo the plug looks close in size to the one on my Stihl FS110. The tube I bought also fit my Shindaiwa weedeater that was at least 25 years ago.
    I run Stihl FS100Rx and always just stuck my grease gun on the hole and couple pumps. Well, last 2 years it had a kinda loud wine sound until the head would warm up. Guy at the dealer suggested I spray carb/brake cleaner in there and clean all that out and use the tube from Stihl like said above. No more whine and runs quiet like new again..
    BigJim55 likes this.

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 202 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    I run Stihl FS100Rx and always just stuck my grease gun on the hole and couple pumps. Well, last 2 years it had a kinda loud wine sound until the head would warm up. Guy at the dealer suggested I spray carb/brake cleaner in there and clean all that out and use the tube from Stihl like said above. No more whine and runs quiet like new again..
    I would just pick up a tube of the Stihl grease and use that. If the tube won't screw on your head just pack it in with your finger.
    If you want to use tube grease get something for high speed wheel bearings.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •