Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Game changing air compressor quick coupler

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts

Game changing air compressor quick coupler

Every now and then you come upon a tool or accessory that is truly a game changer in the way it solves a problem. The Lock 'N Lube grease coupler comes to mind.

I have a new one to add... the Milton Safety Air Coupler. These are not new as they've been around for a quite a while but I was fortunate enough to discover it recently.

If you are like me you probably have a quick coupler like this on your air compressor hose:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milton_quick_coupler.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	418058

It works okay but suffers from a couple issues - for me anyway. One is that it is almost impossible to attach or detach a tool with one hand while the hose is under full pressure. I usually have to jam the hose against my leg while pulling down on the collar with one hand while I attach the tool with my other hand. This eventually kinks your air hose and can lead to premature failure. It can still be difficult to overcome the pressure in the hose and get the fitting seated. When detaching a tool I usually repeat the process but in this case the air pressure helps to push the tool away. This can be good and bad as I'm sure we've all shot the air chuck across the room into the tool box.

Enter the Safety Coupler.

Name:	Milton S-99787.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	418066

The way this works is you press the green button once and the inserted coupler on the tool disengages about 1/8" and releases the air pressure. You press the button a second time and the inserted coupler gently releases into your hand. When attaching a tool you simply press it into the coupler. No need to push the button or pull back a spring loaded collar. Even with the supply line fully pressurized it requires no effort at all to insert a fitting. Attaching or detaching a tool is easily accomplished with one hand.

The Safety Couplers come in a variety of air coupler styles with both male and female threads. They are available from various manufacturers. This one just happens to be a Milton in the "T style" (aka Automotive style) that I use. I've seen these Milton couplers available for less than $15 from a variety of sources.

This may be old news for some but if you find yourself sometimes struggling with the spring loaded collar on a conventional style air coupler, give one of these a try.
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 18 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Bubber (07-26-2017), etcallhome (07-26-2017), Gizmo2 (07-26-2017), glc (07-26-2017), HydroHarold (07-26-2017), jdmich (07-26-2017), Jeff R. (07-26-2017), Kennyd (07-26-2017), Levi (07-26-2017), lindsey97 (08-06-2017), spferdil (07-26-2017), Zebrafive (08-06-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 Times in 2,350 Posts
    OK - I'm sold! Your explanation about the difficulties with the standard couplers is good - try it with weak arthritic fingers!

No link? That!s OK - off to search for the safety couplers.
    Gizmo2, HydroHarold, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-22-2019 @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    OK - I'm sold! Your explanation about the difficulties with the standard couplers is good - try it with weak arthritic fingers!

Here you go CT: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Body-B...003Y3ZIC0?th=1
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Bubber and 4 others like this.
    2017 2032R (Gen2)
    FEL (220r) w/57" Bucket and 48" forks
    60D AutoConnect MMM

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bvbearcat For This Useful Post:

Bubber (07-26-2017), coaltrain (07-26-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

That's my problem - weak fingers.

I didn't post a link because there are too many different types and didn't want someone to order the wrong one. Male/Female, Industrial/Automotive, 1/4, 3/8, etc.

You need to get the right style for your equipment. 99% of the planet uses Industrial style fittings. I ended up with Automotive style because that is what my dad used and we have dozens of tools and accessories outfitted with that type of coupler so no point in changing now.
    HydroHarold, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That's my problem - weak fingers.

I didn't post a link because there are too many different types and didn't want someone to order the wrong one. Male/Female, Industrial/Automotive, 1/4, 3/8, etc.

You need to get the right style for your equipment. 99% of the planet uses Industrial style fittings. I ended up with Automotive style because that is what my dad used and we have dozens of tools and accessories outfitted with that type of coupler so no point in changing now.
    I see your point. When I looked at the link I got confused A-style, M-style, T-style. I have no idea what I have but will figure it out.

This is a great find! Like you said it will rank up there with the locknlube.
    HydroHarold and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have used this style of coupler in the past. They are the cat's pajamas. Unfortunately I don't own any. Still getting by with the old style junk. lol
    HydroHarold, rtgt and Robnik like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see your point. When I looked at the link I got confused A-style, M-style, T-style. I have no idea what I have but will figure it out.

This is a great find! Like you said it will rank up there with the locknlube.
    If you have a basic air compressor chances are you use M-style "Industrial" 1/4" NPT connectors. Below is a image of an Industrial style connector.

Name:	M-fitting.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	418154

Weirdos like me use a T-style "Automotive" 1/4" NPT connector (shown below). Notice how the tip collar is longer on the Industrial?

Name:	T-fitting.jpg 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	418162

Once you know the size and type you just have to match up the male/female as required on the end of your hose.

The Milton website has a nice selection of images for everything. I used it to figure out the part number I needed and then went shopping.

Couplers & Plugs | Miltonindustries.com
    rtgt, coaltrain and Robnik like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

coaltrain (07-26-2017)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you have a basic air compressor chances are you use M-style "Industrial" 1/4" NPT connectors. Below is a image of an Industrial style connector.

Name:	M-fitting.jpg 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	418154

Weirdos like me use a T-style "Automotive" 1/4" NPT connector (shown below). Notice how the tip collar is longer on the Industrial?

Name:	T-fitting.jpg 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	418162

Once you know the size and type you just have to match up the male/female as required on the end of your hose.

The Milton website has a nice selection of images for everything. I used it to figure out the part number I needed and then went shopping.

Couplers & Plugs | Miltonindustries.com
    Thanks for the help! Yes - M-style is what I have. Just a 20gal California Air Tools compressor.

Now I know what to put in my cart.
    jgayman, rtgt and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    I actually put these on my air hoses. These are also very sweet!!! This coupler accepts all five of the most common 1/4-inch body interchanges: Industrial, ARO, Automotive, Lincoln, and Euro (Megaflow)

One hand operation. Pull back on the one sleeve, this vents air pressure. Pull back on the other sleeve, this releases the connected tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Levi (07-26-2017), Zebrafive (08-06-2017)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Grease couplings, air hose couplings... There's more coupling knowledge on GTT than in a brides honeymoon guide...

I like the "5 in 1" style, I think I'll Amazon it right after I'm done here.
    rtgt, Ray_PA, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast